Edinburgh - daytime parking - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:18 Thread Starter

Edinburgh - daytime parking

Going to visit Edinburgh in a couple of weeks to see Hateful 8 in 70mm.

Need to find somewhere we can park van (which will have two dogs in it) not too far away from Lothian Road, which is just to the west of the castle.

We're 8m x 3.1 high - ideas anyone ?

Cheers 'n' Beers
Nigel Crompton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 13:05

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Don't rely on info from the Car Parks Dept. of the City Council; I phoned to ask if there were any height barriers at the P+R on the southside of the City. ' not sure but I will check', came back with info that there were not barriers. Wrong!

Fortunately it was the weekend and a very helpful(Polish) security guard at an adjacent office block allowed us to park in their car park. [No, Basia did not chat him up in Polish, nor flash her eyebrows - it was all my own work]

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
subfiver (01-02-2016)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 16:50

My Motorhome: Ford/Wellhouse Terrier Sport
You could park the van alongside the Botanic Gardens. There is a park nearby and you can park there but it is a bit of a walk to Lothian Road.
I don't think you would get parking on Lothian Road for a van.
Alternatively the CC site in Edinburgh and get a taxi into town. That would be my choice if I had two dogs.

Cheers
Jamsie
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamsieboy For This Useful Post:
subfiver (01-02-2016)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 22:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsieboy View Post
You could park the van alongside the Botanic Gardens. There is a park nearby and you can park there but it is a bit of a walk to Lothian Road.
I don't think you would get parking on Lothian Road for a van.
Alternatively the CC site in Edinburgh and get a taxi into town. That would be my choice if I had two dogs.
Hadn't thought of that! We're visiting friends in Stow and we were going to ride the rails form there, but it extends the duration of the dogs' solo occupancy of the van to over the (albeit arbitrary) 6hr limit. Will investigate

Cheers 'n' Beers
Nigel Crompton
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 14:17

When in Edinburgh, we stay at the Mortonhall site just inside the ring road on the south side. The No 11 bus from outside the site takes you right into the city centre along the Lothian Road. The walk from bus to the CC site at Silverknowes is quite a bit longer and if it's at night the lighting is not very good. The buses are not so frequent either.
Enjoy your stay.

Sue
The Following User Says Thank You to Suenliam For This Useful Post:
subfiver (02-02-2016)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 06:13

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
I see more and more people parking in the large carpark (no barriers) outside the Ocean Terminal Shopping Centre in Leith. It has an excellent bus service every 10 minutes which would take you along Princes Street to the bottom of Lothian Road. Seems to be a couple of motorhome parked there every time I visit. Follow the signs for Britannia from anywhere in the city.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 06:45

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenliam View Post
When in Edinburgh, we stay at the Mortonhall site just inside the ring road on the south side. The No 11 bus from outside the site takes you right into the city centre along the Lothian Road. The walk from bus to the CC site at Silverknowes is quite a bit longer and if it's at night the lighting is not very good. The buses are not so frequent either.
Enjoy your stay.
We also use Mortonhall when visiting Edinburgh, very handy for the city and the Sainsbury's supermarket.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 20:56

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenliam View Post
Enjoy your stay.
Thanks for this useful tip. I've just booked for a couple of nights in the summer and they have so kindly agreed to let me leave the MH there for a couple of days too while travelling inland.. Really pleasant, helpful people.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:46

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanHymer View Post
Thanks for this useful tip. I've just booked for a couple of nights in the summer and they have so kindly agreed to let me leave the MH there for a couple of days too while travelling inland.. Really pleasant, helpful people.
They have been really helpful when we have used them.

To catch the bus into town head down the lane from the entrance to the main road at the end. then turn left and cross over the road to the bus stop - about 150m (if I remember correctly)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siggie For This Useful Post:
HermanHymer (09-02-2016), subfiver (08-02-2016)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 14:31

Yes Siggie you do remember correctly. There is now a bus shelter and one of those sign things that tell you when the bus is due. Tends to have a mind of its own, but as buses are only about 10 mins apart (no.11) there is never long to wait. Bus stop on the return bus is just at the end of the lane to the site.
We have always found the staff at the site very helpful, and perhaps even better they are pleased to help!
We are due there next Sunday for 3 nights - can't wait

Sue

Sue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page