Which stellplatz/Aire book - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 10:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Which stellplatz/Aire book

I must buy a new book, I can´t get on with the Apps, I like a book to go through.
Bord Atlas I have had, no good now as so many places have closed or moved.
There´s ADAC and Pro Mobil and many more, can anyone tell me the best one to get please?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 12:44

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Isn't Bord Atlas updated annually?

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 12:55 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Isn't Bord Atlas updated annually?
Yes Alan, but when I used it last year even the places that are still there were not as described in the book, at home I would check with Google Earth, but as we had no internet a lot of the time that was not possible.

I'm Jan

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 13:33

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
I've found books can only be used a general guide.
The Aire information in the books is collected, presumably by visiting or getting details off the net, then made ready for printing after all known Aires are put into order of regions and eventually printed at a specific launch date – usually once a year.
But by the time the book is launched it could be many months after the original info was gathered and some may be shut or even moved to a different location in the town or village.
New Aires were springing up all over France when we were last there in 2019 but also some were shutting and loads going from free Aires to pay parking – not much help if you've only got a book.
We used to use 'All the Aires' but realised that many Aires were not in it and others had closed – a bit inconvenient when you may be at the end of a long day and the next nearest Aire is a fair drive away.
To be honest I couldn't recommend any Aires book with the confidence that they are much help.
Sorry, but for some years it's been apps on the iPad for us using '3 Pay As You Go' Sim cards.

britcoms and JanHank like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithChesterfield For This Useful Post:
JanHank (13-04-2021)
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 14:53 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Are there not times when you can´t get an internet signal to look places up Keith?

I'm Jan
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 16:02

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Are there not times when you can´t get an internet signal to look places up Keith?

Despite us usually being in rural France much of the time it's very rare to lose the signal and then it's only for a short space of time.
When the iPad is telling us directions on the move it occasionally loses signal but the trusty AA Road Map (which doesn't get updated very often) helps us find our route and then as we approach towns and villages the reception comes back to help us.
We didn't bother with Sim cards until recently but they really are worth getting – my co-driver has very little sense of direction (don't let her know I said that !) and arguments ensued - but not now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIELD AIRE DD (900 x 742).jpg (85.1 KB, 4 views)

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 17:53

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
There are offline apps you can use. I cant be bothered with them on my phone either, too fiddly but I always used the offline version of the CC Infos app and maps on a full size laptop. I think it was about a tenner. http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/accueil.php

Might be old hat now I dont know but I think Camper contact etc do an offline app but last time we were away we nearly always had internet connection anyway but me being a planner I have it all sussed out long before I set off or when we are away with a good connection and a bit of time I plan all the likely stop overs ahead for the next week or two. I just save them as PDF files on my laptop so I can access them without an internet connection later. What I liked about the old CC Infos POI is I had them all on both my laptop, Autoroute and the sat nav. Dead easy but its all old technology now really.

You know what they say "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!" Just plan all the stops now, program them all into your sat nav and press start. Off you go! Nothing will go wrong!

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 17:55 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I have a Sim card Keith, but neither mine or Heikes worked in the Harz last year.
Map reading you really need 2 people.

I will have to practice using the iPad at home.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 18:04 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post

You know what they say "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!" Just plan all the stops now, program them all into your sat nav and press start. Off you go! Nothing will go wrong!
Thats all very well if you know exactly where you are going Barry, I will just be wandering about on the way down as I have know knowledge of that part of Germany, if I have it was before we came to live here and we had a caravan then and of course I had my personal guide who knew the geography from his school days.

I have planned a bit, places I know, the only knew places are after Warmeloh.

I'm Jan
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 13-04-2021, 19:20

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post

The first time we went in the MH to France I spent months working out a route and printed it all out.
And what happened ?
There was an accident on the M25 and we were diverted miles and miles around the dirty back roads within the M25 and arrived at Eurotunnel about six (yes, 6) hours after my booked time.
We were put on the next train but arrived after dark and trying to get to where I had intended to be was a no-no.
We found an Aire but my planning had been disrupted and getting back on schedule was almost impossible.
Needless to say the planned route went out of the window, the plans were binned and we meandered around finding towns, villages and places of interest we would never have seen and enjoyed.
And since then we just go over, perhaps head to Brittany or the West Coast or the Dordogne or anywhere we fancy day after day, and that's why we often find places off the beaten track but we thoroughly enjoy what we do.
That's why having access to Aires on an iPad is essential.
And the sooner that happens again the better …..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0131 (600 x 450).jpg (90.3 KB, 4 views)
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page