ETIAS visa waver required to visit the EU from 2022 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 07:26 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
ETIAS visa waver required to visit the EU from 2022

On another forum a member put up a picture of an article taken from a newspaper in Portugal which suggests that Portugal may allow 180 day visits in 360 rather than 90 day visits in 180, for residents of the UK. The idea being to allow over-wintering extended stays. What it doesn't do is provide any flesh on the bones at this stage. The fact that the idea is being mentioned and written about, does provide a modicum of optimism though...especially of the idea catches on in other countries within the EU.

As a result I did a search to see if we can apply for extended entry (via a visa or other). I couldn't find anything on that but I'd be interested in seeing how we can apply for extended Visa's if anyone does know how?

All I can find from here...

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/si...estions_en.pdf

is...

18 Can my visa be extended? When applying for a visa extension, you must show that due to force majeure or for humanitarian reasons or for serious personal reasons it is not possible for you to leave the territory of Member States before the expiry of your visa or the authorized period of stay.

This relates to the actual Visa application process which - as far as I know - we in the UK don't have to do but I'm guessing the principles regarding extended stays would be the same. Very happy if I'm wrong though

To further muddy the waters it looks at the moment, that from 2022...

Although British citizens will not need a visa to visit Europe, they will need an ETIAS visa waiver from 2022.

The European Travel Information and Authorisation System is being introduced to register visitors from visa-exempt non-EU nations. The EU Commission has confirmed that UK citizens will need to apply for ETIAS to cross an external Schengen Area border after Brexit.

Contained in this article...

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news...0found%20below.

...which was news to me and may well catch a few folk out if it comes into being, if they haven't applied for it

At the risk of flogging this to death at the moment, the following article assures us that the process is straightforward BUT it does carry a fee!

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-form-application
patp likes this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

Last edited by GMJ; 29-03-2021 at 07:32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 07:57

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Even if Portugal grants 180 days it is only of use if one flies in direct, unless France and Spain, or just Spain does the same, so no use to Mhomers wishing to go for 180 days.

Also after the 180 days one would have to be out of Schengen for another 180 days, because one has used up the 90 in 180. This would preclude even a w/e visit to Amsterdam or Paris.

Geoff
patp and GMJ like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 08:02

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Covid allowing we (I) was hoping to be able to drive down to Portugal again next December for three months. I must admit I hadn't given a thought to the visa or duration requirements mainly because we are residents of France. Also I can't imagine any of the med countries sending Brits or any other Visa Credit Card bearing visitors back home.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 08:05 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Even if Portugal grants 180 days it is only of use if one flies in direct, unless France and Spain, or just Spain does the same, so no use to Mhomers wishing to go for 180 days.

Also after the 180 days one would have to be out of Schengen for another 180 days, because one has used up the 90 in 180. This would preclude even a w/e visit to Amsterdam or Paris.

Geoff
I was more highlighting the fact that the idea was being mooted and talked about really as yes, I agree, it is of little use as a standalone proposition.

If countries are prepared to recognise this as an issue then perhaps it may start to gain some momentum and then who knows?

We know some folks who for years have over wintered in Spain...usually going there in October and staying until May. Obviously now they cannot but something like this extended to Spain, would be great for them. they wouldn't manage the 8 months but 6/180 days would be a good compromise for them. They don't do other visits to the EU/Schengen outside of their winter travels.
patp and dghr272 like this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (29-03-2021)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 09:05

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Press reports (don't know how true they are) of police preparing to deport over stayers from the Costas in the next few days.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...-spain-5239104
patp likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 09:48

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Might throw some light on the subject .................................................. ... or not.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who...SKn2lLFNjJhTQM

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 09:52

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
One brexity voting Brit living illegally in Spain told a reporter that Spain would regret throwing them out.

It seems that even as the Europeans boot Brits out those very same Brits can continue to believe that the EU needs them more than the Brits need the EU. The power of propaganda is truly awesome, or is the british sense of entitlement that is?

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 10:18

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
About 5 years ago I was in a less than salubrious part of a Spanish Costa City. I can't remember the name but it was a rundown area, I was there looking for something I can't remember what. Quiet in the back row!

Anyway I witnessed an irritated café owner berating a couple of very scruffy and deeply tanned, tramp like, drinkers outside his café obviously trying to get them to move on. They roundly cursed him back in fluent and probably obscene Spanish, as they walked away past me I heard them mumbling one was obvious cockney and one with a Scottish accent! I can see them getting off a plane soon with a letter of introduction to Priti Patel.
raynipper and britcoms like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 10:24

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I know people who have apartments in a golf resort, a very bad investment made 15 years ago, which they still can't break even on.

The place is a hotspot for robberies and punch ups. Courtesy of the long stay illegal brits.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 29-03-2021, 18:46

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,003 Posts
Personal Aire
Any country in Western Europe that manages to offer 180 day visas for Brits would suit me as it would mean an extended six month summer trip would be possible. Ive looked into getting one for France but its costly, a complete PIA and there are no guarantees of success even after you have forked out the £400.
patp and GMJ like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page