What foodstuffs CAN we take to the EU post Brexit? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 21:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Murvi Piccolo
What foodstuffs CAN we take to the EU post Brexit?

I know we're not allowed to travel to the continent yet but have others thought about what we CAN take with us when we do. All the documents I've come across when googling are very generalised and are based on the assumption that you're travelling by plane, or perhaps in a car with a suitcase. Normally we go to France via the tunnel and of course head off in whatever direction we're going, without the immediate need to stop and shop. Post Brexit we can't take milk and other dairy products, meat, fish etc, (including the canned variety I suppose) and I've only just realised we can't take fruit and vegetables either, because they're plants.

All this is infuriating of course because we might take several days to get ourselves to a crossing, so we'll want to leave home with the ability to feed ourselves, make a cup of tea, etc. and then I suppose we just have to dump anything left over by the time we reach Eurotunnel or a ferry port. Then we'll have to prioritise a stop off for shopping on the other side. I haven't even begun to get my head around the coming home part. No more stocking up at the fromagerie in Montreuil for us, I suppose.

So, what adjustments are others planning to make, and who has any ideas what we could carry with us that might make a meal or two? Lastly if anyone can point me to any websites that give all the information we need, in a motorhome relevant way, I'd be grateful, if not exactly happy. Grrr!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 22:04

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Just to add another grrr....

We have now found that we cannot have tea in any form sent from the UK. Not normal bog standard PG Tips or Yorkshire orloose leaf tea that I love from Kenya.

So add tea to the list..... it is a plant product so cannot imported due to the risk of transferring diseases to EU plants..... really..... yet another example of the stupidity of leaving.

I have not found any definitive list, probably because it is still as flexible and depends on which way the wind is blowing, or the day of the week, or the price of eggs (can you take those ???????) or what the Officers think....

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 22:05

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Having the luxury of nearly a ton and half of payload its the alcohol limit on the way back that will hit us most. Going out 6 months worth of tea bags (plant material?). Oops now 90 days worth

post #4 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 22:08

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Having the luxury of nearly a ton and half of payload its the alcohol limit on the way back that will hit us most. Going out 6 months worth of tea bags (plant material?). Oops now 90 days worth

More space, not allowed tea as it is plant material. (See above)

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 22:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
More space, not allowed tea as it is plant material. (See above)
It's worse than I thought. I was wondering about oat milk, or some such thing, in my tea but I thought the tea was a given!

Chris
post #6 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 22:51

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Gotta have my Tea Bags. Have to find some unsuspecting leave voter and ask them to bring a suitcase of Ty-Phoo over.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 23:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Gotta have my Tea Bags. Have to find some unsuspecting leave voter and ask them to bring a suitcase of Ty-Phoo over.

Ray.

It's the least they could do!

Do we still have any leavers on here that would do the deed?

Chris
raynipper likes this.
post #8 of 214 (permalink) Old 16-03-2021, 23:53

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Only an observation but unless you are stopped at customs and they specifically look for tea, meat, fruit etc I reckon you will be fine.

When we were boarded last year looking for clandestines they only looked under one bench seat, the wardrobe and the shower room. Did not bother with the other bench seat, under the bed or the overhead locker.

I for one will be taking, bacon, cheese, tea etc You would need to fill in a customs card on the Chunnel or ferry before you landed where it would ask you to declare any of the items, and I doubt they will be bothered.
Penquin and raynipper like this.

Wife: Have you got a fiver ? Me: £4 ? what do you want £3 for ?
Here's £2, bring me the change !
post #9 of 214 (permalink) Old 17-03-2021, 00:19

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
Only an observation but unless you are stopped at customs and they specifically look for tea, meat, fruit etc I reckon you will be fine.

When we were boarded last year looking for clandestines they only looked under one bench seat, the wardrobe and the shower room. Did not bother with the other bench seat, under the bed or the overhead locker.

I for one will be taking, bacon, cheese, tea etc You would need to fill in a customs card on the Chunnel or ferry before you landed where it would ask you to declare any of the items, and I doubt they will be bothered.
What will you say if they specifically ask you "do you have any foodstuffs? And what are they sir?
post #10 of 214 (permalink) Old 17-03-2021, 00:27

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
I will declare them but the chances of that are pretty slim I would imagine.

Quick story and I know this is 28 years ago but even so. I took my 2 children and a step daughter over to France for work, delivering some electronics. These were the days when your children appeared on your passport.

As I approached passport control I realised my step daughter was not on my passport as she was not my natural child, but we were not stopped. Then I realised if we were stopped coming back she would not be allowed back in the country !!
Needless to say she was not stopped on the return leg either.

I realise things are quite a lot tighter now but that experience dented my confidence in customs checks.

Wife: Have you got a fiver ? Me: £4 ? what do you want £3 for ?
Here's £2, bring me the change !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page