What foodstuffs CAN we take to the EU post Brexit? - Page 22 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

274Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 06:53
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I think the food thing isn't such an issue for entering the UK Geoff. I'm sure I read that small quantities for personal use are allowed.

If we go down the quorn road I intend to take an empty packet of quorn plus a translation of the ingredients plus a copy of my email from the EU, again with a translation.

There is another issue to my mind though: if I make a quorn bolognaise for example and then freeze it, it looks exactly the same as a beef mince version. So unless they defrost one and test it, how can they now its a plant based meal?

We really need some folks to go across to France in their MH's in the summer and then to report back as to what checks - if any - are taking place or if common sense will break out and the border staff realise that they have bigger fish to fry/better things to do than inspect the contents of a MH fridge!
patp likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 08:55

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
As at all customs points I expect checks will vary from nodding you through to taking your van half apart depending on what the officer feels is required and what mood they are in at the time.
patp, britcoms and GMJ like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #213 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 09:03
GMJ

Personal Aire
I agree Al. I cant think they will be interested in a few bits and bobs in a MH.

I wonder what the position would be if I bought stuff in the UK that was from the ROI (or elsewhere in the EU)?

I think I'll email my contact and ask...bear with.
erneboy and patp like this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #214 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 09:27

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,058 Times in 995 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Unless you are used to doing evasive manoeuvres your body language and red face (inc wife ) could result in a lot of looking in cupboards, loss of fridge contents and worse G.
patp likes this.
post #215 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 14:05
GMJ

Personal Aire
I have no problem with lying and looking innocent. I used to be a teacher remember...

"Yes that's a great answer Johnny, very imaginative. Now, does anyone else have an answer?"

aka...

"No you window licker, try again! Now any of you other deadbeats have a clue or shall I carry on wasting my time up here while you pretend to listen?"
patp, aldra and britcoms like this.

post #216 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
I agree Al. I cant think they will be interested in a few bits and bobs in a MH.

I wonder what the position would be if I bought stuff in the UK that was from the ROI (or elsewhere in the EU)?

I think I'll email my contact and ask...bear with.
A: At the moment, nothing!
You recall that one of the major aims of Brexit was to "take back control"? Boris has decided that we shouldn't do that too quickly, so didn't plan for it when he was advertising his "oven ready" deal nor when he was denying the need for an extension to the transition period.
So the UK is not imposing the rules and regulations which it is legally required to do under those famous WTO rules which JRM et al were so keen for us to follow. Effectively, EU goods are being given carte blanche until 1st October (I think). It was going to be 1st March (I think) but it would have required effort on behalf of HMG and would probably cause disruption at our borders.
It wasn't just Theresa May kicking things into the long grass.

B: Don't worry about ROI - you can bring things in from NI under exactly the same rules as anywhere in EU (NI Protocol).
And, of course, "we" are not applying those aspects of the "fantastic" deal much heralded at Xmas.

C: David Frost has been talking to NI paramilitaries this week and telling them that the EU needs to see sense and adopt a more easy-going stance, so that goods, especially food, can travel more freely across the Irish Sea.
The EU have responded by saying that GB chose the Brexit which it wanted: that did not include aligning with EU food and phyto-sanitary regulations so it is up to "us" to sort out the mess.

If you choose to break the law when we decide to enforce it, then the consequences will be on your head.
I'm sure you were always sympathetic when little Johnny said "please Sir, I'm not the only one doing that. And anyway, it's a silly rule".

Gordon

And, of course, if he lied to you then you just ignored it and didn't increase the punishment
erneboy, patp and britcoms like this.
post #217 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 15:58
GMJ

Personal Aire
I think I mis communicated there Gordon: the trust of what I was saying was that if I bought goods in the UK that came from, say the ROI/anywhere in the EU and had them with me when I went to France, would they be allowed in or would they fall foul of the EU no meat and dairy law.
H1-GBV and patp like this.

post #218 of 246 (permalink) Old 13-05-2021, 19:02

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
I think I mis communicated there Gordon: the trust of what I was saying was that if I bought goods in the UK that came from, say the ROI/anywhere in the EU and had them with me when I went to France, would they be allowed in or would they fall foul of the EU no meat and dairy law.
Sorry once its in the UK it becomes contaminated even if you bring food into the UK from the EU you cannot take it back to EU if its on the banned list
H1-GBV, patp, Penquin and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbaoman For This Useful Post:
GMJ (14-05-2021)
post #219 of 246 (permalink) Old 18-05-2021, 14:33

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
According to the CAMC we can take durians with us!! -
"There are restrictions on the food that you can carry into the EU. You cannot take meat, milk or products containing them into the EU; there are some exceptions, e.g. certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, special food or pet food required for medical reasons. You cannot take plants including fruit and vegetables with the exception of bananas, coconuts, dates, pineapples and durians. Check the rules on the European Commission website. When returning to the UK you can currently bring these products with you for personal consumption but always check for the most up to date information on GOV.UK"

I had to look up durian - "Grown in many countries across tropical South East Asia, the spiky, stinky durian is an acquired taste. The fruit is loved and loathed in equal measure. Eating durian is banned in many outdoor spaces throughout Singapore and carrying it is prohibited on public transport because of its smell."

Think I'll pass on that one!

Jean
post #220 of 246 (permalink) Old 18-05-2021, 15:22

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Maybe carry durians to put off a search for illegal foodstuffs

I shanít be travelling abroad for the foreseeable future , although Iím happy to shop when travelling I like a few things in stock until I find a supermarket

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page