What foodstuffs CAN we take to the EU post Brexit? - Page 19 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

274Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 08:37

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Realistically we will all have to just wait and see what the situation is once things get back to “normal” after Covid.

It’s entirely possible that at the Channel ports there will simply not be enough staff to routinely check every MH or Caravan. They may decide to stop every 29th one and have a nose around, or they might just adopt the attitude that it’s far more trouble than it’s worth to bother about any “Rosbif” and his small packet of ham and jar of Bovril.

I reckon they will be hyper vigilant for a short while (to make a point, which the French seem to like doing) and then become less and less concerned. Yes the regulations will be in place, but with food standards in the U.K. being what they are there is not going to be any nasty “contamination” of the EU as a result of me taking a packet of sausages to France in my fridge because I am the one that’s going to eat them and not any E.U. citizen!

Until things open up all we can do is guess and/or speculate.The somewhat annoying thing for me is that clearly the U.K. Govt are not going to impose any sort of reciprocal rules on E.U. citizens bringing their foodstuffs to the U.K. Maybe they should. But only in the interests of fairness of course !
. Does anyone know if French customs and immigration are still on UK soil at the Tunnel or have we thrown them out now? Strikes me that with us having to accommodate any queues and disruption shortages of manpower won't concern them at all.
Mrplodd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:10

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbaoman View Post
I hope the Uk goverment does not play the silly game as my family are waiting for their chorizo jamon and spanish cheeses they will be upset at the amount alcohol we can now take and i am upset no brown sauce British cheeses sausage and bacon for me on the return trip
One man's silly game is another man's way of controlling what enters their country or trading block. You might like the borders simply to be open for you to import whatever you like. If that happened the borders operated by that country or trading block would have to be open for all to import what they like. Allow third country agricultural products to enter from the UK and you are obliged to extend the same access to all third countries. Hormone beef and washed chicken from the US for example. The WTO rules don't distinguish between imports on the basis of quantity or the status of the importer or even the intended end use of the product.

The UK will likely be forced to do it. They don't set the rules on world trade, luckily. The WTO do that.

If you think the rules are unfair on you why not lobby the WTO for changes and see what the reply is. In the meantime, pending their granting you permission to do as you like, if you want to apportion blame at least lay it where it belongs please.

I find the current situation bothersome too, but I know how it happened. It could have been avoided had the UK worked for a free trade agreement with the EU, but brexiters rejected the terms of agreement the EU applies in return for the granting of free access.

It's fairly simple really. If your country doesn't agree comprehensive trade deals with others that inevitably has consequences for the movement of goods.
H1-GBV and britcoms like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #183 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:20
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I'm more concerned about duty free allowances and Mrs GMJ's annual supply of Spanish gin tbh!

We usually aim to bring back a years worth as its only around 5€ a bottle. I'll have to research and do some man maths to see how much import tariffs/duty will be when we come back through next March. Hopefully it'll still be worth it.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #184 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:25

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,056 Times in 993 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Realistically we will all have to just wait and see what the situation is once things get back to “normal” after Covid.

It’s entirely possible that at the Channel ports there will simply not be enough staff to routinely check every MH or Caravan. They may decide to stop every 29th one and have a nose around, or they might just adopt the attitude that it’s far more trouble than it’s worth to bother about any “Rosbif” and his small packet of ham and jar of Bovril.

I reckon they will be hyper vigilant for a short while (to make a point, which the French seem to like doing) and then become less and less concerned. Yes the regulations will be in place, but with food standards in the U.K. being what they are there is not going to be any nasty “contamination” of the EU as a result of me taking a packet of sausages to France in my fridge because I am the one that’s going to eat them and not any E.U. citizen!

Until things open up all we can do is guess and/or speculate.The somewhat annoying thing for me is that clearly the U.K. Govt are not going to impose any sort of reciprocal rules on E.U. citizens bringing their foodstuffs to the U.K. Maybe they should. But only in the interests of fairness of course !

I agree with most of that it being common sense, but I hope the UK does NOT follow suit as it will just screw it all up.
post #185 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:32

In the end, under WTO rules, the UK may be forced to follow suit. They are in breach of the rules at the moment. Applying the rules selectively may lead to very substantial financial claims against the UK from those nations not being granted the exceptional access.

English people seem to prefer to ignore the facts in order to think of this as though the issue is just a bi-lateral one between the EU and the UK. It just isn't that simple.
britcoms likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #186 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:43

Just the English then Alan?
post #187 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:43

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
If you are a whiskey drinker try Mercadonas James Webb i find it as smooth as the Bells or Famous Grouse i drink when i runout of the single malts my daughter brings me from the UK and its only 5-90 euro a bottle
erneboy likes this.
post #188 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Just the English then Alan?
Citizens.of the other nations of the UK do seem to have a better grasp Kev, yes.

In Scotland and NI that may be down to local media knowing that their audience were majority remainers so that brexit lies can be challenged, even if only gently.

As a matter of interest Kev, do you agree that the brexit project was almost entirely an English one?

post #189 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 10:05

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
It was a Farage one taking advantage of Cameron fears. Now look at him.

Ray.
erneboy and britcoms like this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ł750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #190 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-04-2021, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Citizens.of the other nations of the UK do seem to have a better grasp Kev, yes.

In Scotland and NI that may be down to local media knowing that their audience were majority remainers so that brexit lies can be challenged, even if only gently.

As a matter of interest Kev, do you agree that the brexit project was almost entirely an English one?

I can't remember yesterday never mind that far back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page