What foodstuffs CAN we take to the EU post Brexit? - Page 12 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

274Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 246 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 11:59

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,058 Times in 995 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
It's finding out that is the real problem here.
Penquin and ChrisandJohn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 246 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 12:29
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
@erneboy

Al - could you please do me a favour and see if you can see decaff teabags in Spanish supermarkets the next time you are in one?

Ta

Graham

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #113 of 246 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 13:38

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
@erneboy

Al - could you please do me a favour and see if you can see decaff teabags in Spanish supermarkets the next time you are in one?

Ta

Graham
Big supermarkets did have UK decaf Graham. But I have no idea whether any UK tea will be available long term. In general the Spanish drink different types of tea, mint, lemon etc., but not UK style tea.

Lipton tends to be available everywhere, pretty much worldwide, and they do a decaf: https://www.lipton.com/us/es/te-lipt...afeinado.html#!

Lipton is a Pepsi Unilever company so probably processes tea outside the UK meaning that it should still be available. Not my favourite tea, but it's OK.
GMJ likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
GMJ (23-03-2021)

post #114 of 246 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 16:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Is there a food supermarket at the City of Europe?
Yes, at least 1.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
GMJ (23-03-2021)
post #115 of 246 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 18:11

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Bloody typical.................................

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/stanley-j...085739721.html

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #116 of 246 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 18:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Murvi Piccolo
Quote:
Kev: Make up a flask and stow it with your bottles. I doubt it would be noticed. We always take a flask of coffee so we can have it when in the tunnel.

Penguin/Ray/Others who live in France: Have you come across decaffeinated teabags in France? I don't drink tea but Mrs GMJ can only use decaff.

In terms of the wider discussion regarding taking stuff, we will take what we normally take and accept that if stopped we will lose it. Plan B would then be stopping at a supermarket first stop which will add an hour to our day. Is there a food supermarket at the City of Europe?

My understanding is that it affects 'raw' foods and not processed or cooked foods...but am happy to be corrected on this if wrong. We always take 6-7 pre cooked meals in our freezer - stuff that I have made prior to leaving home (bolognaise, chilli, lasagne, curry etc) so I hope they will be OK. We also carry 7-8 dough balls for our pizza maker plus some sausages and black pudding for a fry up one day...but I'm guessing they would be under threat if caught.
I suppose my question about what CAN we take is because nothing I have read on the topic is clear about this. If your understanding is based on something you've read or heard please let us know. I would have thought that, given that a cheese and ham sandwich was confiscated, it isn't just raw foods that are banned. I'm trying to focus on what we should be able to carry so we can have a meal or two, and something to drink, before having to stock up. We're not keen to stop off at the kind of huge supermarket that's at Cité Europe as soon as we get there. That process would certainly take us more than an hour finding what we want. Then, from experience, shops are often closed when we find somewhere to stop further afield.

I like the idea of a flask of tea or coffee made up for a first stop but I certainly won't be taking any precooked frozen meals as we usually do. So: pasta, cous cous, rice, bread, tins of tomatoes, tins of beans, lentils, tinned sardines, spread that doesn't contain butter, eggs, (I believe they're OK) hummus. What do you reckon, would these be OK?

Chris
post #117 of 246 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 20:19
GMJ

Personal Aire
I'll re-look to see if I can find my source but its not looking good! Possibly hearsay on a forum somewhere.

Looks as though taking teabags into the EU is OK though (towards the bottom of this article)...

https://www.thelocal.com/20210112/bo...an-eu-country/

"So tea bags – that popular import by Brits the world over – are OK."
ChrisandJohn and raynipper like this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
ChrisandJohn (24-03-2021), raynipper (24-03-2021)
post #118 of 246 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 22:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Murvi Piccolo
Quote:
I'll re-look to see if I can find my source but its not looking good! Possibly hearsay on a forum somewhere.

Looks as though taking teabags into the EU is OK though (towards the bottom of this article)...

https://www.thelocal.com/20210112/bo...an-eu-country/

"So tea bags – that popular import by Brits the world over – are OK."
That was helpful. I must admit I'd assumed that tea bags would be OK until Penguin told us about his difficulties importing tea. Perhaps the tea suppliers he contacted were being over cautious until they get used to the new regs, or perhaps loose tea is a problem but highly processed tea bags are OK.

In the link you gave I noted that under a heading 'What can you bring in?’ it started by listing what's restricted, and eventually goes on to mention tea bags, marmite, crisps, pot noodles and bread and alcohol as being allowed. So, not a very long list, and hardly anything that constitutes a meal. But that article was geared to ex-pats returning home from trips to the UK, and the kinds of UK items they might be hard to find in continental shops. It obviously wasn't addressing motorhomers' issues.

Chris
raynipper and GMJ like this.
post #119 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-03-2021, 08:33
GMJ

Personal Aire
It's not looking good I'm afraid.

I have looked at a dozen or so sites now and all say the same: no meat or dairy products. Our own Government is very specific about this too.

However, I have not found anything specifically mentioning frozen meals/food containing meat but I will assume that these are included. To clarify this I just emailed the EU using this form...

https://europa.eu/european-union/contact/write-to-us_en

...so we'll see what they say.

As I now see it:-

- Wait and see what experiences fellow travellers have this summer for those hoping to get into the EU in their MH's/Caravans. Our first trip is hopefully going to be in September so there may be some empirical evidence from travellers in July/August if this is going to be a problem.

- Take food as normal and 'wing it' knowing that if found out it will get confiscated. I guess there is also a chance of a fine etc but I'm thinking it would take a pretty surly border guard to do that this early on into the new relationship. Perhaps when these rules are more widely known in a year or two, this approach may be dodgy!

- Not take anything and factor in an extra hour on the day to visit a supermarket. Hopefully someone in the know will put a list of supermarkets and junctions near Calais and surrounding area, so we can plan accordingly. Maybe an idea for a new thread??

For our trip to Spain each January we normally have enough with us to last until Bordeaux where I hit a supermarket prior to going on to the Spanish border. We then have around 5 or so home cooked meals left in our freezer just to supplement local food/cooking when we are away for the 2 months. We normally stay in Folkestone; cross through the tunnel; and then like to push on past Rouen for our first night. I may have to find a campsite before Rouen in this case.

For other trips we still carry the frozen meals but hit a supermarket within a day or two anyway, for fresh stuff.

Part of the joy of the holiday is exploring the supermarkets/markets abroad so its not too onerous but it will impact upon our travelling times I think.

post #120 of 246 (permalink) Old 25-03-2021, 10:11

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,058 Times in 995 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Will they actually search every vans fridge and cupboards, have sniffer dogs, only stop red faced people?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page