European Travel - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-01-2021, 09:23

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
I had to find my way through the hellish Costa de Plastico near Almeria in order to get to the Cato de Gata national park in 2016. I was totally disgusted. I saw better conditions in Maroc later that year.
There's no doubt that's the worst of it. Here it looks a lot more orderly and respectable. Horticulture involving huge quantities of plastic or netting can be well kept but rarely is. The appearance is very off putting. It just looks squalid, even though it may not be inside.

I know that the plastic is often left lying about for eventual collection because it has a recycling value. Known to recyclers as Visqueen. Got it's name in the way we call vacuum cleaners hoovers. It's worth something to recycling companies who will take it away at no charge when there's enough of it to make doing so worth while. It doesn't have sufficient value for those discarding it to bother collecting it and storing it, thus it's left where it is except by businesses who can't live with the untidiness. I'd fall into that category.

I find the area around Almeria uncomfortable too. Probably no more so than any large area anywhere where highly labour intensive intensive activities are carried out. I guess that if we accidentally drive our valuable shiny MHs past long lines of people with little hope and few prospects as they undertake another long day's hard labour in hot and often very humid conditions we can hardly be surprised if they give us some peculiar looks.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-01-2021, 10:28

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
I remember at the think what do they use for the growing medium. I couldn't see the investment for hydroponic systems, a lot of the tents seemed to have been erected on bare rock. Is it brought in?
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-01-2021, 10:48

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Growing media are interesting Dick.

I's amazing what will grow, and how well it will do, in what seems to look like pure stone with little or no fines or soil or even sand. Give plants food, light, air and heat and mostly they'll do just fine.

We are very spoiled with the soils we have in the UK, but a medium that is 80 or 90% stone can produce fine plants.

My company did an experiment years ago digging holes into stone railway embankments and literally shoving a variety of small trees and shrubs in to see how they did. No feeding and no water. A year later the survival rate was adequate, such that it was cheaper to plant that way and put up with the losses than it was to try filling holes with soil or compost which in time would mostly wash away anyway. Ten years later the planting had established and looked PK, if a bit stunted. I never did discuss it with a plant pathologist, but I know that his verdict would have been that it was impossible for plants to survive in those conditions.

You are right just to think of growing media, and not soils or composts. Plants will survive a lot, and thrive with additives.

I don't know the details of agriculture down south but I do know some farmers here, after covid once the pubs open again I'll ask some questions. I'll be interested. Agriculture here has been an eye opener. They farm land we'd consider to be fit only to graze sheep on. Citrus seems to grown in pure stone perfectly well so long as it's fed, watered and sprayed.
Glandwr likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
Glandwr (17-01-2021)

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-01-2021, 11:09

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Our local Kilroot power station had a tomato growing project that utilised the waste heat and all grown in long water troughs, not a bit of soil in sight.

Tasted fine to me too.

Terry
erneboy likes this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page