Travelling to France & Germany - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 17:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Travelling to France & Germany

Ok, typical of us we cannot decide what to do. We’re looking to go away early August for a couple of weeks but have nothing booked. We would be travelling with our 2 daughters aged 20 & 17 and our friends daughter aged 17 also.

Option 1

Travel Dover Calais via ferry (preferred route) and head towards Germany passing through Belgium (no stop overs here) for the first week and then head over into France for the 2nd week.
We have done this many times in the past, never booked but not sure if us brits would get a welcoming reception under the current circumstances?
We like the freedom of not booking & moving on if not happy with where we have stopped or chase the sun.

Option 2

Travel down to Hampshire, Dorset & Devon stopping a few nights in each place. Obviously I need to book in this country which totally goes against why I bought a Motorhome, well for me anyway. I know I will find a lot of sites full now so left it very late but hey that’s how we have always gone about it, spontaneous I think you call it.
We don’t mind using the odd select sites pub stop overs but not sure if these could have restrictions.

We have a Burstner A747 5t 7 berth Motorhome so plenty of space and do not mind travelling a few hundred miles a day to get anywhere.
We have been motor-homing all over for 15yrs so plenty of experience but obviously never in the current circumstances so just looking for your opinions.

Thanks

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 17:31

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Very difficult for anyone else to advise or make that decision for you as only you will be aware of all the factors you need to consider.

There are pro’s and con’s for both.

The continental campsites will be cheaper but there’s the cost of the ferry to factor in.
Continental “culture” is different and makes a nice change.
English campsites will doubtless be rammed full (in my view) as that’s the school holiday period so you will probably have hordes of feral brats around till midnight along with their “over beveraged” parents.
The chances of getting a pitch “on spec” is probably much higher on the continent due to the larger numbers of sites, then of course there are the Aires you can use.
A large number of English bars/restaurants et will have very limited capacity. That might well be the same for the continent of course.

Difficult choice, how do the rest of your party feel about either option?

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (15-07-2020)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 17:33

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Try this.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...-UK-and-France

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (15-07-2020)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 22:43

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
You could add in France Passion sites for more options abroad.
fdhadi likes this.

Jean
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 22:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Thanks Andy/ Ray.

All the girls are happy to go with whatever we decide.
My wife & I would much prefer to go to Germany/ France but like I’ve said I’m concerned about the reception we might receive, although we’ve never had any problem in the past.

Looking at the cost of sites in this country it makes the ferry expense look cheap.

Frank
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 23:52

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Judging by the number of folk planning staycation there wont be a pitch going anywhere if you haven't booked. The 2 big clubs have been fully booked for weeks. And I hate to think how much the independents will charge you for a big family. They'll be thinking you're a license to print money.

Reading the posts of Ray Nipper and other French peeps the August annual exodus will be hectic too by the look of things.

Just a memory jog. Dont forget the parents' permissions etc for the plus one teen.

Thank goodness I can wait till Sept. to cross.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
The Following User Says Thank You to HermanHymer For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 06:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We observed that the very large car park frequented by motorhomes here in Portbail overlooking the harbour was packed solid yesterday and no room for cars.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 07:37

Do you mean that Brits will not be welcome due to Covid 19? Not sure that rural campsite owners will be that bothered as long as you follow all the precautions. Whether many of the attractions will be open is another matter. Do you need campsites with a pool etc for your teenagers? This again may be a problem. I have heard in Spain that pools are open but mask wearing and social distancing is very strict.
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 07:46

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Our reception here, OK, we do drive a French registered MH, so that MIGHT change things slightly, hut the reception wherever we have been in Siuthern France has been even more welcoming than last year. Many local traders are delighted to have potential shoppers and the sites that we have visited have all been very welcoming. Yes, we have followed social distancing, masks etc. as required but we have encountered no negative responses.

At present, there does seem to be a little local resentment to one EU Nationality visiting locally, but that is NOT towards the British who are around here in slightly smaller numbers than usually, c/w the less welcomed nationality who seem to be very much MORE frequent - perhaps that contributes to the feeling that they are less welcomed than the Brits.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 09:21

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
For OP my twupence worth.

Obviously you would prefer campsites and doing it ad hoc.

I think that will probably work OK. I doubt any campsites will turn any business away after their losses during lockdown. If on the odd night you could not find one with spsce there are so many Stellplatz and Aires that you will not go short of a 'bed'. Also farm sites can be a nice alternative to campsites. They have their own symbols on the various apps for searching for campsites.

Enjoy

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page