Travelling to France & Germany - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 09:27

My Motorhome: Adria Coral Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhadi View Post
Ok, typical of us we cannot decide what to do. We’re looking to go away early August for a couple of weeks but have nothing booked. We would be travelling with our 2 daughters aged 20 & 17 and our friends daughter aged 17 also.

Option 1

Travel Dover Calais via ferry (preferred route) and head towards Germany passing through Belgium (no stop overs here) for the first week and then head over into France for the 2nd week.
We have done this many times in the past, never booked but not sure if us brits would get a welcoming reception under the current circumstances?
We like the freedom of not booking & moving on if not happy with where we have stopped or chase the sun.

Option 2

Travel down to Hampshire, Dorset & Devon stopping a few nights in each place. Obviously I need to book in this country which totally goes against why I bought a Motorhome, well for me anyway. I know I will find a lot of sites full now so left it very late but hey that’s how we have always gone about it, spontaneous I think you call it.
We don’t mind using the odd select sites pub stop overs but not sure if these could have restrictions.

We have a Burstner A747 5t 7 berth Motorhome so plenty of space and do not mind travelling a few hundred miles a day to get anywhere.
We have been motor-homing all over for 15yrs so plenty of experience but obviously never in the current circumstances so just looking for your opinions.

Thanks
I find myself in a similar position as yourself. But we have the advantage of visiting my family in and around Munich. So we'll be going there first, aalbeit slowly with a few linger breaks, and then head down to Freiburg into France and then North through Alsace etc to either calais or Amsterdam as i absolutely detest our potholed roads up to Nortumberland. We're also taking our 17yr old and the boyfriend!! But they're in a tent which makes finding sites challenging. Let us know what youre going to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingo Sundowner For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 16-07-2020, 10:52

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi and good morning

we are hoping to go to e Germany later in august

normally we go on the dover ferry to france but this year we will pay the extra and go through the tunnel

the reasoning is that we would prefer not to end up with a lot of people surrounding us on the ferry

we have been shielding for months and am now reluctant to be in close proximity to lots of strange people

the campsites in germany are busy but once we have dates the campsite that we go to near poland will fit us in

keep safe and enjoy your trip

barry
Penquin and raynipper like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to powerplus For This Useful Post:
fdhadi (01-08-2020)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 23:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Thank you so much for all of your replies, much appreciated as always.

After last weeks changes regarding Spain & Luxembourg we have decided to stay in this country.
We will go to Hampshire, Dorset & Devon which was our 2nd option.

I have managed to book sites through pitch-up so all sorted now.
Hopefully we will get some half decent weather but obviously will have to take what we get.

Thanks again.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page