Travel insurance for coronavirus - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By jiwawa
  • 1 Post By shingi
  • 1 Post By HermanHymer
  • 1 Post By Penquin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 09:58 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Travel insurance for coronavirus

Saga have just added medical emergency cover for coronavirus to their travel insurance. I suspect others will follow.

Probably pay for it tho!

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 11:01

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
That's interesting Jean.

Were pandemics previously excluded?

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 11:06

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Martin Lewis said several times that new travel insurance will change to limit virus infection and if you had an existing policy to try and renew.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 11:22

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I'm interested in the whole topic of insurance and the pandemic.

A friend of mine, a forward thinking businessman had a business interruption clause added to the insurances for his company years ago in anticipation of some catastrophic act forcing him to suspend business.

He didn't specify that he wanted to be covered for a pandemic but he did want cover for interruption, regardless of the cause. That's what he though he had been paying for since he added it so he was a bit miffed when the broker, not even the company, told him he did not have cover for this pandemic. The policy details no such exclusion, still they remain adamant. He's going thorough the complaints procedure at the moment.

I was wondering if the Saga policy had an exclusion that might have got them out of paying claims relating to Covid. Just curious about the deviousness of many insurers.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 15:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
That's interesting Jean.

Were pandemics previously excluded?
My travel insurance (thro Nationwide) would have covered me because it was in operation before the pandemic hit. But it needed renewed in April (just after I was due to head off) and I was told that any insurance taken out from.... (sometime in mid-March) would specifically exclude coronavirus claims.
erneboy likes this.

Jean
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 16:21

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Our SAGA renewal was due 5th April and for £650-ish and no immediate prospect of holidays I didnít think it was worth renewing as I didnít imagine it would cover Coronavirus. We had one pre-Covid booked holiday for October to Menorca so I phoned SAGA in the last week of March to discuss perhaps taking out a one-trip policy. She asked if my annual renewal had anything in it to say Coronavirus would not be covered, which it didnít and so told me that, in that case, we would be covered up until April,21. I renewed, of course, especially as we have a trip to South Africa in February. One thing I do remember her saying was any renewals up to 12th April would cover the virus. We were lucky I think.
Linda
erneboy likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 14:10

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Linda I hope flights to SA have been reinstated by then. International flights are closed till they reach stage 1. Now on 3 but Covid cases are ratcheting up now with highest incidences in Jhb and CT, followed by E. Cape. Not big numbers YET. Hopefully a decline will come with spring (Oct/Nov). It rains a lot then which won't help.

I had a flight booked via Dubai for 31 August but they cancelled UK to Dubai, and by virtue of the closure of SA airspace the Dubai-Durban leg would not have been possible anyway. I have 2 years from purchase date to rebook free of charge.

I read this week that internal flights are resuming for BUSINESS travellers only. Er spot the mistake, SAA has bitten the dust, Kulula is under business rescue, Safair wont fly on those numbers, so I guess that's about it other than private jets.

If you need any updates you're welcome to PM me and I'll give you my personal email address.
shingi likes this.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 16:17

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Iím keeping a close eye on events out there. We visit once a year to see family and have done so for the last 18. The whole trip to Dubai/Cape Town/Durban (Emirates out, stopover in Dubai and BA home) is all refundable and I have read that we may not even be allowed there in February so we will just either cash in or change the flights for a later date. Comair the BA franchise is in business rescue which, as I understand things is a way of keeping it afloat until it can resume operations. One way or another weíll get there eventually but thank you for the info.
Linda

Last edited by shingi; 30-06-2020 at 16:32.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 22:17

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Presumably travel to Leicester is also not covered as it is out of normal cover ?l

Insurance coversvwill always find their way through any problems - the water will always be too wet, or the air too dry for them......
shingi likes this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page