Cancellation of Dutch campsite - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 1 Post By rayc
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By barryd
  • 4 Post By raynipper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 12:29 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Cancellation of Dutch campsite

Together with a group of three other motorhomes we booked a site near Arnham to take in the VE75 and Dutch Liberation Celebrations at Wageningen in May. We paid €30 deposit with remaining €100 by 20th March.
Obviously we are not going to pay the balance as we cannot travel through France etc and who knows what travel regime will be in place. We informed the site that we would be cancelling and were in the circumstances prepared to loose the deposit. We were a bit peeved to find they not only intend retaining the deposit but want a further €31 cancellation charge. Is this behaviour common or are we unlucky?
patp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 12:46

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Personally I feel that is totally unfair.
With the compulsory travel limitations in place for many European countries and more likely to follow, it is unlikely that you'd have been unable to visit anyway.

patp likes this.

John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 13:10

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,011 Posts
Personal Aire
I presume you told them to whistle for it.
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 13:15

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Have they got your credit card details? If so they might try to take the extra cash. If so I would be inclined to get in touch with the CC company and insist that the campsite must not take any more money.

Ray.
erneboy, patp, Mrplodd and 1 others like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 14:56
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Do you have no travel insurance?
However the whole situation is unique so companies that are forced to close down will have to try and ease their situation any way they can!
Wouldn't you?

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 15:15

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Keeping the deposit seems fair to me but not decent. The cancellation fee seems out of order but if it was made clear at the time of booking that there would be a cancellation fee it may be legal, but it's unfair and unreasonable except perhaps in circumstances where they could have sold the slot to someone else except that the cancellation came too late for that to be possible, which isn't the case here. The slot no longer exists for you or for anyone else.

If you'd done nothing I expect they'd have had to cancel and return your money since it's highly unlikely that they'll be permitted to reopen in time for the celebrations, which I imagine must also now be in question. Maybe try pointing that out to them.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 16:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Then theres Trip Advisor where you can leave your 'experiences'. You don't have to have actually been at the site. Explain that to them just as a warning.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-03-2020, 19:21

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
Together with a group of three other motorhomes we booked a site near Arnham to take in the VE75 and Dutch Liberation Celebrations at Wageningen in May. We paid €30 deposit with remaining €100 by 20th March.
Obviously we are not going to pay the balance as we cannot travel through France etc and who knows what travel regime will be in place. We informed the site that we would be cancelling and were in the circumstances prepared to loose the deposit. We were a bit peeved to find they not only intend retaining the deposit but want a further €31 cancellation charge. Is this behaviour common or are we unlucky?

I know i am saying this with hindsight but it might help otheres.

Maybe one should say 'we are prevented by law from travelling' instead of cancellation' explaining that your visit to them was partof a 10 week tour, starting next week.

Geoff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 18:28

Name and shame?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page