Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Continental Touring Info (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/37-continental-touring-info/)
-   -   French borders closing? (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/37-continental-touring-info/238375-french-borders-closing.html)

patp 13-03-2020 10:57

French borders closing?

Anyone heard anything? Rumours circulating, here, that the French borders are closing to contain the spread of the virus. The ferries and tunnels are not, apparently, affected ?? The rumour came from someone catching a ferry home so they are diverting to a Spanish port. Should we do the same?

raynipper 13-03-2020 11:02

Not yet Pat.
Dave posted Macrons advisories.

Ray.

Macron closing schools wef Monday until further notice

Recommend avoid public transport and work from home if poss.

2 month extension of winter rental protection system

No businesses should fail due to CV

No Han shaking / kissing

No border closing unless EU dictates

1 m distance between people

Don't visit vulnerable people

Retired and student medical staff to be utilised

Self isolate where possible

Elections continue

Nonessential medical care postponed

Those are the basic points from his speech this evening

patp 13-03-2020 11:14

Phew! I had heard, myself, that it may happen in a week or so but hoped we would be inside France by then.

nicholsong 13-03-2020 12:53

Ray

Thanks for that.

Interesting that he said 'No border closing unless EU dictates'

I was not aware tha the EU had mdical experts including virologists, or is that just the EU posing as the 'know all, control all for the people'?

Anyway how can the EU dictate about any internal border crossings - seems incompatible with 'Freedom of Movement'.

Geoff

patp 13-03-2020 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholsong (Post 3079395)
Ray

Thanks for that.

I was not aware tha the EU had mdical experts including virologists, or is that just the EU posing as the 'know all, control all for the people'?

Anyway how can the EU dictate about any internal border crossings - seems incompatible with 'Freedom of Movement'.

Geoff

The inference is that the other countries bordering France would have to agree to the closure.

erneboy 13-03-2020 14:09

Quote:

Ray

Thanks for that.

Geoff

Why politicise it?

Presumably those EU countries are talking to one another and will co-ordinate on things that might effect one another, such as closing borders.

I expect that even the UK, which is not an EU member, may discuss anything of the sort with the EU too.

Penquin 13-03-2020 14:22

Agree totally, only Trump does not talk.

Politicising any non political thread is reprehensible IMO and as I have commented on another thread, is only done to promote argument. Shame on those responsible.

nicholsong 13-03-2020 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by erneboy;3079403[B
]Why politicise it? [/B]

Presumably those EU countries are talking to one another and will co-ordinate on things that might effect one another, such as closing borders.

I expect that even the UK, which is not an EU member, may discuss anything of the sort with the EU too.

Well Macron introduced the subject of the possibility of the EU dictating closures, I was merely commenting on that possibility.

Now see this

"16:56Why EU doesn’t like border closures to fight pandemic

Kevin Connolly, BBC Europe Correspondent

The Czech Republic has banned foreigners from entering the country and all Czechs from leaving, from midnight on Sunday.
Any suspension of the right to travel without showing a passport across borders which have become invisible is bound to cause a tremor of alarm in Brussels.
Freedom of movement across the borders of those countries which signed up to the Schengen agreement is one of the EU’s most prized achievements.
The official view of the EU institutions is that the answer to a crisis like coronavirus is more co-operation between member states, not less."

So it seems to be in the political arena without my comment on an obscure MH forum.

So I plead 'Not Guilty' to the charge that it was I who politicised it.

Geoff

erneboy 13-03-2020 17:50

Quote:

Ray

Geoff

Were these your comments or were you quoting?

nicholsong 13-03-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by erneboy (Post 3079457)
Were these your comments or were you quoting?

The Macron one was from Ray's post (No. 2 above) and the BBC one from BBC News online this afternoon.