French borders closing? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 12:02

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Anyone heard anything? Rumours circulating, here, that the French borders are closing to contain the spread of the virus. The ferries and tunnels are not, apparently, affected ?? The rumour came from someone catching a ferry home so they are diverting to a Spanish port. Should we do the same?
Get email alerts (and I can vouch they come in early) for any country you're interested in - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Find the country, click through to its page then click Get email alert.
patp and Ozzyjohn like this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 13:15 Thread Starter

We are taking each day as it comes. Making plans to start our journey but being prepared to stay put if we think it is best.

Just not looking forward to the hassle of contacting all the various insurers and eurotunnel etc to change the plans. As campsites are all, apparently, closing their doors we might be hard pushed to make it home anyway. Such a dilemma. It is a trait of mine not to want to be thwarted in my plans so I must fight that if staying put seems the best option.
post #23 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 13:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Not pointing the finger here Pat but maybe just another reason/benefit of a motorhome. A large one.!!

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #24 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 13:31 Thread Starter

Do others think that I might get an answer if I contact my MP about travel restrictions and over staying the 90 days on car, house, pet and travel insurance? Thousands must be affected by the travel restrictions so we need a statement to reassure us that we will still be covered.

Our medication will run out so we will rely on the pharmacy to sell us some if necessary.

I will keep thinking..................
post #25 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 13:42

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Most Pharmacies will sell you whatever you need. If you are refused at one go to another, they can sell but may decline to do so. You can always go to a Doctor with your EHIC cards and ask for a prescription if necessary. Just take your empty packets with you in either case. I doubt you'll have any problem buying though. The Spanish generally are not hide bound by red tape and will usually oblige when they can.

Just go in and ask for what you want. Show the empty packet so there's no misunderstanding. They'll check the active ingredients and give you the Spanish equivalent.

Why not ring your insurers? Your MP can't speak on their behalf.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #26 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 14:07 Thread Starter

Will do at the pharmacy, Alan.

I am hoping that it will save me loads of time and agro if the Government dictate that the insurance industry must be flexible in these exceptional circumstances. Otherwise I have got to source all the relevant departments at Car, Travel, Home, Pet etc. They will all want policy numbers etc which, in some cases, may be at home.
post #27 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 14:09

My Motorhome: Frankia Platin I8400QD
The local (Totana) Consum was very busy yesterday, yet the massive Carrefour a few miles away at Lorca was very quiet indeed. Glad we’ve got the scooter with us to allow easy foraging trips 🤣

Regards,
John
patp likes this.

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
post #28 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 14:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Something on the BBC new just now about Spain in lockdown. Not sure of the details but some aircraft being turned round while in the air.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #29 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 14:23 Thread Starter

Well done John! We do have the tow truck for our fifth wheel. Other campers have just returned their hire car. The site owner is still, I believe, running the mini bus shuttle into town.

All the restaurants are closed locally by order of the authorities. I don't know how the Spanish men are going to cope! They will be under their wives feet every day now
Ozzyjohn and bc109 like this.
post #30 of 311 (permalink) Old 14-03-2020, 14:32

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Pat

Just on the 90 day restriction; it is true that the 90 days limit in Schengen/EU does not apply to UK Citizens during the Transition Period i.e. till 31st Dec 2020, but the rule for all Citizens of EU States always has been that a stay of more than 90 days in any one country creates a requirement to Register in that country. You can still stay there but must register.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page