French borders closing? - Page 22 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 14:51

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Friends in their camper have just crossed into France heading home with no checks whatever. No police assumed they were all at lunch.
They were in the Costas and actually live in the Vienne. So a lot of scaremongering although I did see on France 24 up to 4000 people have been fined for not having the correct document on them.

Ray.
also been published in the UK. I suspect people have been fined 'cos they are going out with no real justification, or without completed forms, and the vast majority (if not all) would be French.
raynipper likes this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 15:32 Thread Starter

Just phoned the Consulate in Madrid. Long wait but I was assured that, if the campsite closes the shower block and has no other communal facilities where people may congregate, it will be allowed to stay open and we should be fine to stay if we want to.

If we do decide to set off for home we should not be prevented from so doing as long as we are in possession of an attestation to the effect that we are going to our permanent place of residence.

I cannot tell you how grateful Chris and I are for all the help and support you lot are giving us.

Feeling absolutely drained
erneboy and nicholsong like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
Penquin (19-03-2020)
post #213 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 16:34

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
That's great news! Have the campsite owners had any response to their enquiry about staying open Pat. I suspect that's the important response.

Have you any sense yet of what you might do if both options are open to you?
patp likes this.

Jean

post #214 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 17:16

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Just phoned the Consulate in Madrid. Long wait but I was assured that, if the campsite closes the shower block and has no other communal facilities where people may congregate, it will be allowed to stay open and we should be fine to stay if we want to.

If we do decide to set off for home we should not be prevented from so doing as long as we are in possession of an attestation to the effect that we are going to our permanent place of residence.

I cannot tell you how grateful Chris and I are for all the help and support you lot are giving us.

Feeling absolutely drained
While that is great news and certainly the British Consulate should know about whether travelling is possible and how to go about it I'd be a bit doubtful that they could speak with confidence as to what each of the Spanish Authorities would say about the site staying open.

It's perfectly possible that the Consulate might talk to a Central office and be told what they told you while your site owner might speak to a regional, or even a local office and get the opposite answer. In Spain rules and interpretations often vary between the autonomous communities and Central Government and also frequently from region to region.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #215 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 17:18

My Motorhome: 2012 Bailey Approach 740
Personal Aire
Have just arrived at our next aire, just outside Bourges. It’s empty.
No one checked our atestation all the way up. Plus no one took any notice of us coming thru the border yesterday.
I think it is important to have something that shows your final destination in our case a ticket on eurotunnel. Don’t travel on spec book something first
patp and Penquin like this.

This is me
post #216 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 18:00 Thread Starter

Good advice Pete. We do have a Eurotunnel booking which I have moved once. It is set for 3rd April now but can, I assume, be moved again.

Jean and Alan we are still mindful of the local adjudication. It crossed my mind that some people might not like campsites and may take every opportunity to scupper their business. Hotels have been forced to close and that will rankle with them if campsites remain open. Campsite owner is still awaiting the verdict.

I went on the Facebook page for the consulate and there were posts on there from independent travellers who drove here in cars with their pet dog etc. With hotels all closed and no hope of flying home they were, understandably, concerned.

We are having a break from worrying for a day or so before we decide what to do. One concern is how bad things are back home. Facebook posts from friends make it look like world war three in the supermarkets. Then we have to consider that Spain's curve should flatten soon while the UK's curve has yet to peak making Spain a possibly safer environment.
Penquin and raynipper like this.
post #217 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 18:14

I'm fairly sure we're a good deal better off here in rural Spain than we would be at home.

Though I don't know what shopping here would be like. We're leaving that as long as possible. We normally shop once a week but we did it twice last week, and we always have a freezer full in the van's fridge freezer. It's American so the freezer is big and we reckon now that we could manage for maybe another three weeks. I am short of beer, but Mrs Eb has keeps a fair few bottles of wine. Overall we're pretty well fixed and content enough. Spent an hour with the dogs in the campo behind us here and didn't see anyone.
patp and JanHank like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 19-03-2020 at 18:18.
post #218 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 18:55

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I'm fairly sure we're a good deal better off here in rural Spain than we would be at home.

Though I don't know what shopping here would be like. We're leaving that as long as possible. We normally shop once a week but we did it twice last week, and we always have a freezer full in the van's fridge freezer. It's American so the freezer is big and we reckon now that we could manage for maybe another three weeks. I am short of beer, but Mrs Eb has keeps a fair few bottles of wine. Overall we're pretty well fixed and content enough. Spent an hour with the dogs in the campo behind us here and didn't see anyone.
Running short of booze will be the real test! WTF will we do? Never mind bog roll or pasta I think we need to start a thread about making moonshine.

Hey i could make a killing here out in the sticks! I can see it now. Where can I get one of those "Dixie" Air horns?

erneboy, patp and raynipper like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #219 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 18:59

I have a cunning plan Baz. There's pub next door. It's all closed up but it was stocked for it's busiest time of year. The owner is a friend of mine. I'm sure a bit of a bulk purchase could be arranged.
patp and barryd like this.

post #220 of 311 (permalink) Old 19-03-2020, 19:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I have a cunning plan Baz. There's pub next door. It's all closed up but it was stocked for it's busiest time of year. The owner is a friend of mine. I'm sure a bit of a bulk purchase could be arranged.
See if you can just get one of the pumps and a couple of barrels off him. Set up your own bar in the RV. Or failing that to avoid contact just run a hose from one of the pumps into the van and text him when you need another pint. Just make sure you use a food grade hose and not the one you use for the bog.
erneboy and patp like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page