Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Possible ETIAS problems for motorhomers from 2021/22?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  powerplus 
#1 ·
Another bloody problem post-brexit for us exiles is the introduction of the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), probably from 2022. It seems it's likely to be similar to the US's ESTA system where you have to fill out your personal details etc. I've used an ESTA several times, (family in California) and it costs $7 for 2 years cover. When you go in to the States you have to fill in a card saying where you are staying - nominally first night. So, I've read an article from the excellent Simon Calder in this morning's "I" (also in the Independent) which he sets out some of the expected details about the ETIAS, mostly similar to the ESTA (but it will cost 7 euros, not sure for how long cover). He says that we will have to provide where we are stopping first night, but if the thing runs for a long period presumably there would have to be a system to give details for each trip - would that be at the point of entry? For example when going through the tunnel or on a ferry? More paperwork!!! And of course there's the motorhomes's dilemma of "where are we going to stop for the night? How far can we get? " are we expected to put the address of an Aire? Any thoughts?

#5 ·
I didn't think it was anything to do with Brexit, Mike?

I've just checked and their website still says:

Why the Need for ETIAS?
As it currently stands, UK nationals are not required to have a visa or a waiver before entering the Schengen Area. For those travelers wondering why the European authorities are adopting a stricter policy, the answer is safety.

In November 2016, the European Commission voted to implement the ETIAS program following a rise in the number of terrorist attacks across the continent. Authorities believe that the waiver system will be an efficient and secure way to screen travelers. Although it may appear to some to be an unnecessary inconvenience, the ETIAS will ultimately ensure a safer Europe for all of its citizens as well as its visitors.

#6 ·
I didn't think it was anything to do with Brexit, Mike?

I've just checked and their website still says:

Why the Need for ETIAS?
As it currently stands, UK nationals are not required to have a visa or a waiver before entering the Schengen Area. For those travelers wondering why the European authorities are adopting a stricter policy, the answer is safety.

In November 2016, the European Commission voted to implement the ETIAS program following a rise in the number of terrorist attacks across the continent. Authorities believe that the waiver system will be an efficient and secure way to screen travelers. Although it may appear to some to be an unnecessary inconvenience, the ETIAS will ultimately ensure a safer Europe for all of its citizens as well as its visitors.
it is to do with Brexit, because as non-europeans citizens we will be classed as foreigners....

#8 ·
Exactly, Barry. That's how I understood it. Both the UK and Ireland had opted out of Schengen, well before Brexit.

The website clarifies :

Schengen countries that will require ETIAS
More info

There are 26 Schengen countries who have a singular, shared border. Travelers can move freely between them once they have gained entry into the Schengen Area. Learn more about the region and find out which nations are included.

#10 ·
Hi Barry,

I agree, the 90/100 day restriction is the real concern for motorhomers who wish to stay longer in the sun, particularly as there has been much friendly speculation as to exactly what it means and alternative methods to dodge it.

#12 ·
I Dont think we would have needed Visas if we had not left the EU despite not being part of Schengen as we were still part of the EU and as thus European citizens and entitled to freedom of movement. It would just mean passport checks at the ports as we have always had.

As for the 90 days in 180 rules the new Schengen database system is already online I believe and as far as I can tell there is no way around it. There never was. Its been in place for years and over stayers from third countries do get fined, deported and can be refused entry in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.