• 1 Post By esquire
  • 5 Post By Mrplodd
  • 1 Post By H1-GBV

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 16:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Peugeot Autocruise Starlet 2
Trip to Marbella

Hi all
I am thinking of driving to Marbella next March time. I want to go not using motorways. Any ideas on costs and how long will it take? I intend to drive about 300 miles each day. Stopping around 1600hrs so as to get set up In daylight. Hope to use aires if possible as I recon that I can make it on my leisure batteries. And stopping for a tea and a wee at cafes on route. All advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 17:16

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Try using the RAC route planner. Use the advanced options to say No motorway, no tolls.

My mode of travel is to look at the whole route, divide the distance by how many days I want to spend on it. Then guess how far that will take me today, have a look around that area on Park4night and head to one of their suggestions.
raynipper and esquire like this.

Jean
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 07:54

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Some motorways become free in Spain tomorrow ! Good news ? we will see ! I think 300 miles a day would be more stress than pleasure, especially if you don't use motorways. Good "A" roads along the Eastern side of Spain, and lots of cafes for you to stop at. Many folks avoiding commercial stop-overs find wild beaches attractive camping. We find that schedules get changed daily when attractive places and friendly people make "stopping a while longer" decisions for us.

The route thro' Spain somehow gets decided by the route thro' France; West route, centre route or East route.
Plan.....but be prepared for changes and enjoy ! I hope you have plenty of time.

Bill.
raynipper and esquire like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 09:02

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,074 Times in 933 Posts
Personal Aire
Google maps lets you put in way points for a route and gives you the option to avoid tolls as do most sat navs but if your in a hurry its sometimes worth working out each section to see if there is a major benefit in using the toll road for at least part of that journey. If a none toll section says its going to be 150 miles and four hours but there is a toll option thats just a 100 miles and takes two hours then for that section at least its probably worth taking the toll. I tend to use two references. Ill work out the route on the sat nav and maybe also on Autoroute or google maps but it is of course also worth consulting a traditional atlas. If your in a motorhome of course you can generally add a bit of time on to whatever the sat nav or google says especially if your going none toll. 300 miles a day would not be my idea of an enjoyable trip but you dont say how long you have for the trip. If your not in a hurry, take your time, see a bit of France and Spain.
esquire likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 16:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Peugeot Autocruise Starlet 2
Thanks for all those comments. I am used driving long distances as I used to be a HGV driver UK to Athens for 20 years. But that was 30 years ago. Hoping to have 30 days away.
Happy New Year to you all☀️🗻🎉🎊
barryd likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 17:03

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,074 Times in 933 Posts
Personal Aire
For 30 days you probably do want to get a bit of a move on then really. I would do a mixture of toll and none toll then. What are you driving? Some vans are class 2 but some bigger ones can be class 3 which bumps up the tolls a bit in France.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 17:34

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
If you want to spend most of your time in Spain it might be worth looking at the cost differential between the Ferry to Santander/Bilbao versus the cost of a channel crossing plus Peage costs plus fuel costs.

I did exactly that last week. I have a car +caravan so the Ferry costs are a bit higher BUT......

The difference between taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, and the cost of a ferry crossing Poole to Cherbourg, plus tolls, plus fuel (at 25mpg) was pretty minimal at around £65! (The ferry to Spain is the more expensive of the 2 options) If just a MH it might work out cheaper!

To drive down from Cherbourg to Santander realistically with a car and caravan or a MH is about 3 days, the ferry takes 28 hrs! If you double that up itís 6 days out of your 30 just getting there (To the Spanish border) and back. Marbella is a couple of days on from the border.

To drive down from Santander/Bilbao to the Costa Del Sol is a leisurely 2 days (toll free) with a stop over near Madrid (be sure to use the ring road!)

So donít dismiss the idea out of hand, it will certainly give you more time in Spain and save you the stress of a long boring drive.

Unless of course you want to see a bit of France and Spain, in which case ignore the above.

Food for thought at least.

Andy
patp, barryd, raynipper and 2 others like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-12-2019, 21:11

I worked in Marbella for a while and tried four different routes, using the car and hotels.

The fastest, and first, route was Bilbao-Burgos-Madrid-Jaen (Parador)-Granada-Marbella.

Going back we went Cordoba-Merida-Cacares-Trujillo-Salamanca-Santander

Then Bilbao-Zaragosa (to see a friend)-Valencia-Granada-Marbella

And finally Almaden (a hotel which was once a bullring!)-Talavera de le Riena-Valladolid-Suances-Bilbao.

We're not really keen on motorways and prefer to see some of the "real" Spain.

In MH we went via Haro (Rioja!), Logrono and ended up at Medinacali. Down to Cuenca (narrow roads through a lovely old town to viewpoints high above the town) and a lovely aire at Castillo de GarciMunoz. Mainly dual carriageways to Chinchilla de Monte Aragon (super parking!), just south of Albecete, then IKEA at Murcia.

Returning, we did Malaga- Alhama de Granada (via a lovely climb to Ventas de Zafarraya) with an aire at Priego de Cordoba. We passed by a nice aire at Castro del Rio but couldn't find the campsite at Penarroya-Pueblonuevo and ended up at a good stop at Orellana la Vieja. We looked at an aire at La Estrella but stopped at Oropesa, which was quite good. Through the hills to Avila and Cuellar but we ended up on a campsite in Penafiel, which has the narrowest castle and a fantastic town square (check out the Easter celebration). Then a nice quiet aire at Torquemada and past aires at Herrara de Pisuergo, Aguillar de Campoo (beware the low bridge at the south end of the MH parking), Reinosa and on to Caberceno which is large and free. We could have gone to the ferry but instead cruised the coast and ended up at Espinosa de los Monteros, after a steep climb because we didn't fancy Lanestosa (a tight turn and a narrow entrance). There is a good camperstop overlooking Bilbao (Ä15 per night with a bus stop into town).

Try those routes on a map and see if there is anything that you fancy!

Enjoy - Gordon

Enjoy - Gordon
esquire likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page