Being stopped by Douanes - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-11-2019, 16:08

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Had a right old time of it with Mossad once as we crossed from Egypt into Israel via the (then recently opened and very soon to be closed again) land crossing at Taba in the Sinai.

Two couples travelling together. They lived in Cairo but were originally from NI. Us from NI and all of us having in the recent past been in the US and Cypress a few times. The Mossad lads assumed we were IRA which finally dawned on me and allowed us to get it cleared up. I'd thought the questioning was rather strange and all the stranger when one was obviously senior started remonstrating with the others for not have separated us. He did that in English, no doubt for our benefit. All of it was odd and might very quickly have become frightening I think.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-11-2019, 16:17

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
In 1994 I popped over to France alone for 2 days to sign and pay the deposit on our 'Holiday' home. Coming back to Portsmouth I was pulled over by customs for a search and asked where I had been, I said Normandy. OK I was on my own and hadn't even bothered to buy any booze or duty free. So they almost pulled my car to bits. Door panels off boot emptied and engine compartment searched. I was then asked again where I had been and when was the last time I had been in Spain? I thought and remembered 1982 and said so. This resulted in an even more thorough search and me being stripped.!

Eventually finding nothing Customs asked again when was the last time I had been in Spain? I repeated 1982. Then why have you got a Spanish postage stamp in the pocket of your passport? I pointed out the stamp was about 5 Pesetas and how long ago did Spain use pesetas?

Realising they had been stupid all they said was "You can go now" and left me to tidy up. No apology or anything else. Basturds.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-11-2019, 19:13

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We had trouble when we visited Israel

We were pulled aside

We had been to sharm-el Sheik

We continued to have problems at borders

Demanding we empty the car

And we we were not that young to lug it all out , but they stood back and let us

But we showed them our identity old card , for us and 6 kids , 3 born in Israel

It dated back to before they were born , they loved it

And immediately they replaced everything in the car

And wished us a pleasant journey

And when the hound from hell is no more

I so long to go back

Sandra
patp likes this.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 27-11-2019, 22:24

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes Terry and Baz. I have heard of Brits being put on the next plane back because of silly jokes at immigration. My wife had forgotten about a banana in her handbag and a sniffer dog found it. She was made to feel like a criminal and again threated with being refused entry to their Land of the Free.?

Plus several times we have serious problems getting back into Arizona from Mexico and detained for hours. One reason was because my Christian name is spelt like the Spanish.

Ray.

Ray

Almost an opposite story.

I was flying into Washington and had taken the remnants of my fruit bowl - one oange and one apple. I ate the orange and declared the apple. Consternation, lots of discussion amongst Customs Officers about what to do - eventually thrust into my hand and told to disappear.

What nonsense!

Geoff
raynipper likes this.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 13-02-2020, 21:22

Personal Aire
I always find the UK Border Agency people the worst of the lot. Majority of them no manners and act as if they are some special forces operatives rather than civil servants.

The Israelis are a strange lot, travelled there to watch a football match and on the way back out an immigration official went down the line handed out different coloured cards, depending on the colour of the card dictated the length of interogation. Check in was four hours before the flight.

Where had you been what bars did you go into, what tourist sites did you visit.

Dont think I would ever go back

The Beer Always Wins
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:37

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Never had an issue with UK Border Agency but I guess that's because I have a UK passport and always use the self scanning machines.

In defence of US immigration (who I agree can be horrendously harsh) we arrived in Orlando a few years ago for a family holiday and were doing the thumb prints, photos etc when the lady immigration officer told us all to stop! Mrs P plus our four children (13- 18 at the time) and me told to stand still and she asked our youngest why he hadn't had a haircut before coming to the USA because they didn't allow people without haircuts to enter! Even I wasn't sure she was joking until she broke into a big smile and started laughing - the kids loved it!!
HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.

Peter
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:23

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Amazing Peter as we found no sense of humour at all and after the first time which cost me several hours was frightened to even speak.
We have been 'detained' many times and 'delayed' many more times either by thugs or their 'systems'.

Ray.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:17

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Never had an issue with UK Border Agency but I guess that's because I have a UK passport and always use the self scanning machines.

In defence of US immigration (who I agree can be horrendously harsh) we arrived in Orlando a few years ago for a family holiday and were doing the thumb prints, photos etc when the lady immigration officer told us all to stop! Mrs P plus our four children (13- 18 at the time) and me told to stand still and she asked our youngest why he hadn't had a haircut before coming to the USA because they didn't allow people without haircuts to enter! Even I wasn't sure she was joking until she broke into a big smile and started laughing - the kids loved it!!
I had exactly that entering Malawi at Blantyre Airport. There then ensued a discussion as to whether they'd cut my hair for me before letting me in. In the end that took my assurances, and a few dollars, and let me in unscathed on the condition that the first thing I did was to get a haircut.

Old Hastings Banda ran a tight ship Peri. You'd have loved it.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 14:31

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,029 Times in 894 Posts
Personal Aire
I got arrested and interrogated at Minneapolis airport. Little ole me for heavens sake! Do I look like a Terrorist?
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 15:19

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I remember when i was working for an international 'Loss Adjuster' and we had a problem in our Toronto office and I had to go there.

I worked out that is was cheaper to fly via Boston than direct.

At that time Boston had no Transit Lounge so I had to go though US Immigration and back out.

I was asked why I wanted to enter the US -......' I don't, but you have not got Transit facilities'.

That caused some black looks but they let me through.

At that time Miami did not have Transit either, so for some trips from UK to Carribbean and S. America the same applied.

I hope I never see a US Immigration Officer again.

Geoff
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page