UK TV in Portugal - Page 8 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 14:39 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
I wonder what its legal status is? Not that I would be remotely interested. Some of the American ones are no where near the quality build that we would want. It might be why the price has been reduced so dramatically? Almost like tin cans on wheels.
Ha ha, I would tend to disagree with you there Pat. Hardly tin cans when they weigh 6 to 8 tons. OK they are 'thrown' together for want of a better expression but with all the standard fittings, very good value for money. I would guess there are many sited American trailers and fivers along the Med coast because of the value and comfort they provide.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 15:07

Are they insulated? Do they have double glazing? Not the ones we looked at
They took our Celtic Rambler to Iceland and lived in it for a while before putting it on the market. Most American made ones are aimed at being used in the Southern States. My brother lives in Minnesota and you never see one there. Then there is the tank that you need to tow them! Just not practical in Europe unless you are going to use them as statics and it now appears that it is not even legal to do that.
Think we will stick with our ultra versatile Rambler
raynipper likes this.
post #73 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 16:07 Thread Starter

Agreed about that Pat. But they have recently been fitting double glazing and better insulation. We stayed near Grand Canyon in freezing temps and snow with our last two RVs. They had two furnaces and an engine heater so able to winter travel.
I did ask some American dealers about double glazing and was told why drag the extra weight around when you can just turn the furnace up? Different psychology.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #74 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 16:23

Yeah, bit like the folks in Minnesota who go to Florida for the winter and leave their heating running full blast! They also heat their garages. Then in the summer they cannot live without air conditioning and will go start the car ten minutes before they go out so that it is "comfortable" for them. No one has a washing line it is all tumble dryers. I asked my brother why he does not hang out his washing in the summer as it would dry in about half an hour. His answer was "because the neighbours would complain!". This from the man who moved to the States because he did not like the class system of Britain (washing out on a line is a lower class activity).
raynipper likes this.
post #75 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 16:36 Thread Starter

Yes, until it hits them hard they won't change. Gas at the moment is still only $2.50 a US gallon. So they still drive across the car park shopping and do 50 miles to dinner.
Large pickups and SUVs are back in popularity. The 'compact' is relegated to town use.

Ray.

post #76 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 15:39

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Only problem we find is no channel 4 or 5.

Ray.
Isn't that a bonus lol

Dave
raynipper likes this.

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan
post #77 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 22:23

On our travels in Europe we use a Huawei mi-fi Vodafone 50 Gb SIMM £21 per month and an Amazon Fire stick. As its a UK contract we can watch all the channels same as home. Also have Amazon prime great for films and catch up.
raynipper likes this.
post #78 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 23:02 Thread Starter

Yes, we have been down this route before but need far more than 50GB worth of TV. And the apartment has it's own internet. It's just trying to get regular UK TV easily and cheaply if possible.

Ray.

post #79 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 15:41 Thread Starter

Just a question to anyone more knowledgeable than me please.

Finally have got my hands on a Slingbox Solo but have tried to download the software to enable me to use it while away.
It did take some finding but managed it in the end after the Slingbox.com webpage kept flickering making it difficult to read.

The software and program did download and set up on my Win10 desktop successfully. But just won't finish the installation on my Win 10 laptop.
I keep getting the message "Unable to register Sling SDK. Please contact your administrator to install".

I have disabled the AV but it still won't install. I have deleted and downloaded again but just the same.

Any ideas please?

Ray.

post #80 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 15:58

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,018 Times in 883 Posts
Personal Aire
Try right clicking on the installer file and run as administrator Ray.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page