Help me out here folks! - Spain In January - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 16:50

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We've been spending at least six months near Vinaros every year for the last 8 years Graham.

The weather is generally very good with sunshine and temperatures of 20 degrees plus in Jan and Feb. There are also a few colder days and there can be several days with rain, sometimes quite heavy, but not usually for very long. There may also be days when it rains most of the time, but not usually more than 2 or 3 of those. There is also normally a windy week or two as well.

Further south around Alicante and Murcia it tends to be a degree or two warmer but otherwise much the same. Though people tend to say that it's much warmer down there. The stats don't support that contention.

Considering it's winter it's very nice indeed.

It fares better than the Algarve which is subject to Atlantic weather. There are weather stats on the net where you can find all the information.
greygit, greygit, GMJ and 1 others like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
GMJ (08-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 17:22

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
I have been spending October to November and April to May at my house in Javea for many years. This area is classified by the World Health Organisation as one of the healthiest places in the world, partly due to its micro climate. It doesn't have the extremes of climate experienced in other parts of Spain and enjoys the benefit of three seperate parts of the area. The beach area of the Arenal,the fishing port and the old town of narrow streets and fortified church.

There are two campsites, Camping Javea and Naranjal, I haven't stayed on them, of course, so can't comment on the facilities but I haven't heard any bad reports. Getting there is fairly easy, from the tunnel you can take the autoroutes or N roads to Bordeaux, then the excellent road to the Spanish border, toll charge but not a lot, motorway to Zaragoza, again not expensive, and then the excellent free motorway to Valencia. Finally motorway (10 euros or thereabouts) or free N332 to Javea.

You should enjoy pretty good weather conditions during the time you are considering your stay.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javea For This Useful Post:
GMJ (08-08-2017), patp (08-08-2017)
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 18:49

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1-GBV View Post
I'm looking at something similar BUT I'm considering going by car

I reckon 2.5k miles at 50mpg = 50 gallons = £250 cf @25mpg = £500 (quite a saving!)

A 2-bed apartment costs approx £200pw inc elec cf a campsite @ €20 per night plus electric. So I get space, room for company, comfortable shower, large TV, etc for a similar cost.

Ferry/tunnel costs/peage will be less BUT I'll have to pay more for accommodation en-route, which can come out of the fuel savings.

Unfortunately, I'll be "stuck" with the view but in return I'll probably have fewer security concerns. Also, I'll have fewer parking problems if I decide to go out for a ride.

Gordon

Your good lady MAY consider this a possibility?
Have a look at Brittany Ferries "Winter sun" holidays

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/holidays/winter-sun

We are going back in March, 28 nights in a fully equipped two bed duplex apartment just outside Puerto Banus, return ferry Portsmouth to Santander (with my car) AND a cabin each way. Total cost??

£1400 Look up the ferry cost alone to get an idea of how good a price that is.

By the time you work out the cost of car plus caravan on the ferry, the cost of the cabins, the fuel used AND campsite fees it's a real bargain!!

They offer shorter periods as well. There is a telephone number you can ring to get more info on.

We did similar Feb-March this year, lovely sunny weather.

We did have a look at some campsites around Marbella etc, not at all impressed!! Very "Tatty" with a lot of permanent emplacements and very tight pitches. Certainly NOT the sort of site I would want to spend any appreciable time on. I am sure there are decent sites, but we didn't find any (but we weren't really looking for them either)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 08-08-2017 at 18:57.

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 19:07 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
We've been spending at least six months near Vinaros every year for the last 8 years Graham.

The weather is generally very good with sunshine and temperatures of 20 degrees plus in Jan and Feb. There are also a few colder days and there can be several days with rain, sometimes quite heavy, but not usually for very long. There may also be days when it rains most of the time, but not usually more than 2 or 3 of those. There is also normally a windy week or two as well.

Further south around Alicante and Murcia it tends to be a degree or two warmer but otherwise much the same. Though people tend to say that it's much warmer down there. The stats don't support that contention.

Considering it's winter it's very nice indeed.

It fares better than the Algarve which is subject to Atlantic weather. There are weather stats on the net where you can find all the information.
Thanks Alan

Do you fancy sharing which site you stay on (you can PM me if you prefer to keep it quiet )

Graham

I like to use big words which I don't really understand so it makes me look more photosynthesis!

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 19:23

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Don't use sites Graham, they don't suit us, a bit too organised and cosy. PM sent.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 20:53

My Motorhome: None anymore
Look...it's winter...you are gonna get some bad weather....I think S.E. Spain is prob the best winter weather in Europe....but ......
We lived in southern France for 15 years..
Increasingly towards the end we were going to Spain..in the winter..down to Mojacar and the Almeria area....it's warm and dry in winter and great. FRance was getting colder...we were recording temps down to -17 for weeks on end and we were only 30 k to the med!
We ventured further west, for winters ....ended up in eastern Algarve..loved it so much we sold up in France and moved here nearly three years ago now. Never regretted it one bit...
Last winter they had snow here in the east Algarve....it lasted 5 mins...they closed the school,so the kids could see it...it was the first snow for 65 years.....
It can rain for days....the wind is often from the north , but they claim 300 sunny days a year....
5 k inland from us and sure it gets cold....but it never freezes here....it's t shirt weather all year....( with a woolly in the eve....)
If the wind is from the SW , Sure you might get a storm, but it's glorious winter weather.....
We love it....
Won't go back to the UK
G
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 20:55

My Motorhome: None anymore
Oh and if you want a winter site...book Rio Formosa at Cabanas...GREAT site for the winter....
Cheap long term rates but you gotta book these days.....
G
Al42 and Al42 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
GMJ (08-08-2017)
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:03

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Think carefully about committing for too long on one site even at a reduced rate. We have spent the last 2 winters in Spain and there are some sites that we would not go back to................but of course some people love them.

Last time we went around Gibraltar and visited Cadiz,Seville,Salamanca and got a totally different experience of Spain. But that's for when you have more time I guess.

What about making Barcelona a destination and get the feel of a city break as well...............Camping Vilanova has great facilities and an hourly bus into Barcelona.

We always take the Eastern route through France using the free A75 and Millau Bridge(not free)Watch out for the weather but they do tend to keep the road open as its a key route.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Webby1 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (09-08-2017)
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 14:50

We never committed to a site until we had stayed a week or two. In fact there was never any contract. We just asked what the long term rate was and if we wanted to we stayed to take advantage of it.
On our favourite site, where we were very little bother to them, they waived their usual charge for dogs when we settled the final bill.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 14:56 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
We never committed to a site until we had stayed a week or two. In fact there was never any contract. We just asked what the long term rate was and if we wanted to we stayed to take advantage of it.
On our favourite site, where we were very little bother to them, they waived their usual charge for dogs when we settled the final bill.
Could I ask which one that is Pat?

Graham

I like to use big words which I don't really understand so it makes me look more photosynthesis!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page