Ehicplus travel insurance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 14:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
Ehicplus travel insurance

Has anyone used this? Has anyone any advice about it?

We are getting older and travel insurance quotes are going up and up.

We also both have pre-existing conditions to take into account.

Tried a lot of the companies people have recommended on here but it really is silly money or they just won't cover us for over 30 days.

So tried ehicplus and got a very reasonable quote but will we come unstuck if we do need to claim?

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 15:41

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Was that not the company that was flogging EHIC cards that were supposed to be free? I could be wrong but I Dont know how they are associated with EHIC cards as the EHIC is a government / Euro run thing.

Personally the EHIC card is all we use. Never bother with anything else, pre-conditions are not included anyway usually

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
blondel (25-03-2017)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 19:08

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
I have found EHICplus quote a more expensive premium than the open market.

My route is to use Moneysupermarket, get the best/cheapest 3 or 4, then try these companies direct. Sometimes going direct can be a better deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabundi For This Useful Post:
blondel (25-03-2017)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 19:33

My Motorhome: Elddis 145 signature
I've just spent a lot of time getting travel insurance quotes from a variety of sources. Usually we get annual multi trip but as the OP says they all seem to want silly money. We are in our mid sixties with no health issues. In the end I went for 60 day single trip cover via the CCC and whilst not exactly cheap, 50 quid each for the pair of us, was the best we could get. Alas travel insurance is a must for us these days because too many of our contemparies have come unstuck over the years. That said, I know the sods would do their utmost to reject a valid claim if one was made ( never made a claim yet).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 21:35
wug

I second the Camping and Caravan Club insurance. Their quote is the cheapest I found, including EhicPlus. Give them a phone and discuss your pre-existing conditions and see what they can offer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 10:28

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
EHIC is good for any basic problems (and will it continue after Brexit??) but if your illness is more complex or you may need repatriation then GOOD insurance is really crucial - certainly worth it when I broke my jaw skiing and needed helicopter rescue and 5 days in hospital with surgery. One phone call by my wife to the insurers and they swung into action - they then handled everything regarding costs and the only thing I had to pay for was my drugs when I left hospital.

also in our mid-sixties, we are still very active with skiing, cycling, climbing, triathlon etc so the risks for us of injury are higher. we buy an annual multitrip policy that covers us for any daft things we might do while away - currently it's with the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) for just under 250 per annum for a couple for European cover (also includes BMC membership which is needed). if you price up a few individual trips then the costs will exceed an annual policy.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 11:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwatchertrev View Post
I've just spent a lot of time getting travel insurance quotes from a variety of sources. Usually we get annual multi trip but as the OP says they all seem to want silly money. We are in our mid sixties with no health issues. In the end I went for 60 day single trip cover via the CCC and whilst not exactly cheap, 50 quid each for the pair of us, was the best we could get. Alas travel insurance is a must for us these days because too many of our contemparies have come unstuck over the years. That said, I know the sods would do their utmost to reject a valid claim if one was made ( never made a claim yet).

That is cheap in our terms! We have been looking at annual. We are both in late 60's and do have medical issues and so far 1200 is the cheapest we have found!!!!

Will now look at separate trip insurance!

Pat
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 11:43

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
EHIC is good for any basic problems (and will it continue after Brexit??) but if your illness is more complex or you may need repatriation then GOOD insurance is really crucial - certainly worth it when I broke my jaw skiing and needed helicopter rescue and 5 days in hospital with surgery. One phone call by my wife to the insurers and they swung into action - they then handled everything regarding costs and the only thing I had to pay for was my drugs when I left hospital.

also in our mid-sixties, we are still very active with skiing, cycling, climbing, triathlon etc so the risks for us of injury are higher. we buy an annual multitrip policy that covers us for any daft things we might do while away - currently it's with the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) for just under 250 per annum for a couple for European cover (also includes BMC membership which is needed). if you price up a few individual trips then the costs will exceed an annual policy.
I agree with that.

We (74 and 5 have Annual cover with Worldwide Travel Insurance Services including skiing for 247.50 which I have just renewed (up from 236.70) - but I think that included some IP Tax increase. Our only claim has been for a lost day of skiing for which it pays 20 p.d. p.p.

As Fatbuddah has said cheaper than several one-off policies.

Geoff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 12:02

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Ours went skyward after we both had cancer, 1600+ for annual multi-trip insurance, especially if the USA was included with their high medical costs.

We have done one trip so far this year on single trip insurance to the USA, but it is still horribly expensive if you have anything hanging over you in the way of Cancer etc. 290 for the two of us for 10 days.

Peter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 14:20

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Ours went skyward after we both had cancer, 1600+ for annual multi-trip insurance, especially if the USA was included with their high medical costs.

We have done one trip so far this year on single trip insurance to the USA, but it is still horribly expensive if you have anything hanging over you in the way of Cancer etc. 290 for the two of us for 10 days.

Peter
I'm a cancer survivor - developed in 2006, and had the 5 year all clear in 2011 - but even though I declared this with my insurers at the time and at subsequent renewals, my premiums hardly changed. I guess maybe it depends on the type of cancer and treatment regime??

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page