Well our last potential ski day was a no-go so, bored again, I've produced an enhanced version of a camping POI Excel preadsheet.
The main enhancements are:
- I've added in the latest Archies Camping POIs (so 49,000+ entries in total with the Camping Car Info data)
- There's a button to filter the POIs just to show those based on a target longitude/latitude and a radius (in miles)
Other points to note are:
- The sheet is protected, to prevent accidentally changing/deleting the POI information but, if you want to poke around, there is no protection password
- The Google Maps hyperlinks are no longer dynamically created using formulae (it took too long to recalculate when the data was filtered) but, if you do change any coordinates or, indeed, add your own entries, then there is a button ('Refresh Hyperlinks') that runs a program that will sweep through the entries and regenerates the hyperlinks. This can take a good few minutes! Oh... and if you do add any new entries of your own then don't leave any empty rows - the Refresh Hyperlinks logic will stop at the first blank row
- The calculation of what POIs are within the search 'radius' is not 100% accurate. It's based on the approximation that 1 degree of latitude or longitude = 68.055 miles (1/360th of the Earth's average circumference). So if you were to enter a search 'radius' of 68.055 miles it will filter in all POIs with a longitude and latitude of +/- 1.0 degrees. A search 'radius' of 34 miles will filter in all POIs with a longitude and latitude of +/- 0.5 degrees. You get the picture.
I reckon it should be accurate to with half a mile or less anyway.
I put 'radius' in inverted commas because it's actually filtering out POIs within a square around the search long/lat rather than a circle.
Please note that this spreadsheet will only work in versions Excel 2002 and above and you will need to enable macros. Again, I'm not sure if it will work correctly in Mac Numbers.
You can download the new sheet HERE