Motorhome Facts Forum banner

AVG Free users read this 03/07/2008

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Fangio 
#1 ·
Hi

You may be getting an "Update Failure" notice

I have had several messages from AVG users today ...and mine is playing up too. The updater server must be overloaded or so many 7.5 users have been panicked into downloading version 8 that it cannot cope with the demand. I cannot find out any more but for now don't fret it is not just you that is getting these messages :wink:

Mike

P.S.

I suggest that you go to the little square AVG multicoloured Icon ( which by now may have an exclamation mark on it ) in the toolbar and double click on it to open AVG...you will see "update now" click on it and see if it manages to do it.... if not try again later ... or tomorrow. But dont worry it is still working ...just not updating.

#2 ·
AVG Free

Interest point.
Two computers, one with 7.5 from one source, the other from another source.
The other one keeps getting an annoying message saying AVG free is ending (well, a month ago) and the other one doesn't.

Ignoring both just does the automatic daily update without any problem.

Maybe its the way I hold my mouth??

#4 ·
Hi Fangio

That is a different problem...see This post <<<<.

Above I am referring to the updates that AVG does every so often to get the new virus definitions. I imagine that it may well be affecting the 7.5 version too.

Mike

#7 ·
I ran 7.5 and all was ok. When I updated to version 8 I found the update manager would'nt work. I then discovered that my firewall (Zone Alarm) was blocking the update manager so a few tweaks to allow all AVG updates solved the problem. There was a major update today and all went well

#9 ·
I was in France at a Hotspot when AVG sent a message that 7.5 version was ending so I dowloaded AVG 8.0 free version.

Initially I was concerned when ever I used the laptop as the new version icon always had a red exclammation to say it was in an error state!!

I was used to the 7.5 version usually lasting a few days before it said it was out of date. the 8.0 version seems to say its out of date if it can't immediately access the internet.

I guess it is just getting used to its new ways!

Funnily enough since coming home my old laptop, also uses windows XP, is still on 7.5 version and I haven't received any message to update to the 8.0 version, and it appears to be having updates. Guess I will leave it as it is on the old laptop until I have to update.

I have mostly done my updates manually since installing the 8.0 version. This is mainly because being abroad by the time I have got onto the internet the AVG has already said connection to the update failed, this I thought was because it was seeking the internet before I had actually got onto it.

#12 ·
AVG

[align=justify]
Interesting that when the new version of AVG 8 came out it was not free. Just had lots of info on how great it was and how cheap, which is what prompted me to ignore it. Cheapskate that I am.

Now that it is free (and thanks to the contributor above who highlighted this to me) I have now downloaded it onto the two pcs we have at home.

Good stuff this MH thingy.
Fangio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.