Smart Mootorways - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-01-2018, 20:46

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Whereas in la belle France speed limits are to be reduced at a stroke w.e.f. July 1st.
I'm thinking of getting a Voiture sans Permis for travelling through France as it will soon be able to keep up with the flow. I read that it is possible to drive one from 14 years old and also if you have lost your Permis due to a violations such as drink driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.8 KB, 4 views)
raynipper, raynipper and alanedwin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-10-2019, 23:18

Personal Aire
Well would you believe it "Highways England will STOP building 'smart' motorways without permanent hard shoulders as boss admits they are not working because they're 'too complicated'"

They also admit that "40, 50 or 60mph limits were being set before congestion mounted on 'smart motorways' in England, using predictions about traffic levels."
"Data has showed that 72,348 people were fined on motorways with variable speed limits last year. This was almost double the number a year earlier and a tenfold rise in five years. Of those, two thirds of fines were handed out to motorists travelling at 69mph or below, even though the national speed limit is 70mph."

I wondered why you can cruise round a non smart bit of the M25 at 70mph but as soon as you get to a smart section the limit is set to 60mph or lower. Now I know that it is because the computer said so.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...motorways.html
raynipper likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 27-10-2019, 16:46

Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Smart motorways were a dumb idea.
There have already been fatalities and the cost of the conversions is eye watering.
Too many motorways are restricted to 50MPH for years on end to convert the hard shoulder to the extra lane.
Its just madness to try and cope with the volume of traffic.
The answer:
Improve bus and rail links don't assume cars are king.

Pat

Europe. We're not out till we're out. Until then we're still in. Mind you out is looking a lot like in but with less benefits!!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-10-2019, 00:22

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Yep agree

As long as the bus and rail links are outside my home

Doesn’t require me to walk far

Because even though I want the best for the environment

My limbs would never make it

As many others find

But on a cheerful note

I’m not challenging the environment as far as travel is concerned

I rarely leave the house

Sandra
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-10-2019, 19:43

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
They could do with a smart road down the western side of the Peak District through Longdendale. No chance of getting a speeding fine there. I feel for the residents who cannot get through their own town on account of the unending flow of trucks and cars using that route across the Pennines. Easily a half hour hold-up through there to the Manchester Ring Road. No wonder there are signs urging frustrated motorists to support their push for a bypass. In fact it's a pain the whole way over from Worksop. Truckies going at 28mph!!! Grrr.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-10-2019, 21:58

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanHymer View Post
They could do with a smart road down the western side of the Peak District through Longdendale. No chance of getting a speeding fine there. I feel for the residents who cannot get through their own town on account of the unending flow of trucks and cars using that route across the Pennines. Easily a half hour hold-up through there to the Manchester Ring Road. No wonder there are signs urging frustrated motorists to support their push for a bypass. In fact it's a pain the whole way over from Worksop. Truckies going at 28mph!!! Grrr.
The money to pay for the upgrade of motorways to smart ones has been at the expense of the trunk road network which has had minimal investment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page