Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Pets (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/)
-   -   For those going abroad with dogs important info (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/36650-those-going-abroad-dogs-important-info.html)

Briarose 29-04-2008 21:32

For those going abroad with dogs important info

Hi please talk to your vet ref heartworm,sandfly etc. if you intend to travel to Spain/Portugal etc I took my dog today for his yearly normal vaccinations and we had quite a discussion on this topic.

He has told me to visit him a few weeks before we intend to travel next winter so that he can order in the appropriate tablets or vaccination, collars etc he also told me that the vets here in the UK are becoming more aware of problem now that dogs are travelling abroad, something that in the past hasn't been something UK vets have had to worry about.

He also said that with global warming in time it could be something we might have to be aware of in the UK too.

He advised that for anyone travelling with a pet to have the chip checked with their vets before departure.

Nickynoo 11-05-2008 19:42

Thanks for the Info!
We are going as far as Northern Burgundy in August we treat our dog with Advantix because ticks just love her but I had considered asking our vet for heartworm prevention before we go!
Very good advice to have you pet checked and chip checked before you go! my vet says that chips can malfunction and that is on the list of fears when you take them with you!

javea 11-05-2008 21:02

Quote Very good advice to have you pet checked and chip checked before you go! my vet says that chips can malfunction and that is on the list of fears when you take them with you!'

Good point, we bought our own chip tester so that we can ensure that the chips are functioning. Check before we leave our house in Spain and again before we go to the vets at Forges les Eaux - gives us a comfort factor.

hogan 11-05-2008 21:20

Please tell your vets in the UK to warn people of "prossesionary caterpillars"
if traveling in southern France and Spain between Jan and April
For those of you with Dogs and or children who have not heard of these PLEASE do a google search and read up about them.They are EVIL.

eddied 12-05-2008 09:41

Buon giorno, will second that by adding they are VERY VERY evil (ouch!)
saluti,
eddied

Briarose 12-05-2008 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogan
Please tell your vets in the UK to warn people of "prossesionary caterpillars"
if traveling in southern France and Spain between Jan and April
For those of you with Dogs and or children who have not heard of these PLEASE do a google search and read up about them.They are EVIL.

I was really pleased that I had been warned about the caterpillars via this forum, fortunately the site we stayed on in Alvor had also sprayed the trees etc.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/modu...ewtopic&p=2590

dora 12-05-2008 23:23

Vets in France

Question about the vets in Forges Les Eaux please, in 3 weeks I will be travelling to Spain (Salou) with my 2 dogs for the first time. Their passports are fine, I have Scallibor collars and they've just had their heartworm tablets. Just trying to sort out route, and most importantly the return route to include the vet stop, but not too close to Calais that we have to hang about there. Planning to leave Salou 11th June, ferry booked from Calais 15th June at 1820. so planning to visit vets Saturday 14th June in the morning. We normally make the Rouen area the day before travelling and have read the vets at Forges Les Eaux are very good and more importantly a walk from an aire that we could stop at Friday night. Any body got any tips for us for vets similar distance from Calais whereby we can walk from the aire or proper campsite and not have to drive into a town to find a vets, also neither of us can speak French fluently so English speaking could be an advantage. Sorry 1 more question. I have read that you can take your own frontline. Does anybody know about this? Does it make a saving? Is it normal Frontline Spot on, or Combo, or what?

Thanks

Dora

Briarose 13-05-2008 20:34

Hi Dora I am a bit confused ref your post............we used the vets at Forges Les Eaux and it is approx a 2-3 hour drive from there to Calais.

I have his phone number if you need to make an appointment ? esp with it being a Saturday.

Or are you looking for another vet, the vet at Forges Les Eaux told me that next time I could bring my own Frontline if I wanted to.

henrypartridge 14-05-2008 16:36

Taking dog abroad: worth reading.

A vet friend of mine has strongly advised me not to take my dog to Spain. Leishmaniasis , heartworm, Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis are all very serious, nay fatal, and carried by sandflies (leishman) and ticks. Incubation time is 3 months to 3 years so vets are just starting to see numbers of dogs affected. I did a lot of internet searches and probably the best reasoned article I came across is linked below. (She did take her dog but in winter season.) I'm not preaching but it is worth a read so you can make your own reasoned decision.

I am on holiday in Majorca soon and I am going to consult an English vet in Palma before I make my mind up. If it's dangerous I won't take him.
See this Telegraph article about what can go wrong
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2004/05/17/npet16.xml

And the "for and against" article:

http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/public/europe.htm

patp 14-05-2008 18:27

Hi Dora
We use a vet in Ardres a small town not far from Calais. I don't know how you feel about wild camping but we just camp in the town square for the night if necessary. The vet is actually in the same town square so it is very convenient and they do speak some English.

As regards the worry over serious diseases in Mediteranean countries, yes they are there but all you can do is be careful. Use the Scalibor collar, try to avoid going out at dawn and dusk when the midges are more active.

There are so many dogs going back and forth that I think we would have heard if it was necessary to worry any more than we already do!

Pat