Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Spain for the winter
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am not a vet but based on my detailed session with my vet -
1. Lungworm - he recommended Milbax or stronghold (some over the counter tablets he feels are not strong enough to guarantee killing the lung worm parasite but that was his opinion ). He says every 4 weeks because of the lifecycle of the parasite in the body. By dosing every 4 weeks you kill the eggs before they get the chance to develop.
2. Treatment before - our vet recommended 2 weeks before so our dogs had an immunity before they got there as a precaution.
3. See the vet before you go - should not need to, If you always use the same vet. I simply called mine to explain our travels they told me over the phone what they recommend and left the stuff with reception to collect and pay.
Talk to your vet.
Just to confirm though our 'prevention pack' consisted of
1. Milbax worming tablet for each month we are away - (given 2 weeks before travel and every month thereafter)
2. Frontline capsule for every month we are away
3. Scalibor collar ( also have a spare incase lost the one they are wearing. I noticed in Spain they were expensive to buy)
4. Can of frontline spray to be applied weekly to the legs etc
I have attached a copy of the fact sheet our vet provides for travel overseas for your info
Hope this helps