Molly the new girl on the block - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-05-2021, 07:22 Thread Starter

Molly the new girl on the block

She is very tall! She can reach my counter tops and, in my experience, Greyhounds have no compunction in helping themselves from work tops and tables etc so I will have to be vigilant. A good dog for old codgers because Chris doesn't have to bend down to fuss her She is very thin but not emaciated. She came from a farm yard in Ireland where she was used as a breeding machine. The owner said that "she never had any back on her".

The rescue sent all her meds with her and she is on our version of Metacam (Rheumacom in Ireland). Her teeth are, as they said, truly awful so she has some gel to keep the bacteria down. Also is some probiotic gel just in case. They said she has corns, too, but I have not probed her too much yet.

So far she has eaten what I have given her which is, a very conservative, tinned Rocco "sensitive" in small amounts four times per day. She has taken the odd bit of Georgia's food which is a new dry pressed food called Tribal. I hope it agrees with her because it will make life easier. Giving a huge Greyhound tinned food, especially as it is complete, will be a bit of a challenge with the shopping and storage of it.

A very sweet girl as most greyhounds are. She does wake up very early though and cry out for attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-05-2021, 11:03

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,120 Times in 1,056 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Well done Pat, made me wonder though can you take dog food across to the EU?
patp likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-05-2021, 13:43 Thread Starter

Good point, Kev. Perhaps Sandra could do a trial run for us all. Take Shadow and his food with her and then tell the customs officer to help him/herself to it

Joking aside, some dogs are on special diets for kidney problems etc. I wonder if a vet's prescription might help in those situations. The previous carer of Molly described her as a nightmare to feed. I have not found her a problem but it is early days yet. Not everyone realises how much influence pain has on appetite.
aldra likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-05-2021, 07:01 Thread Starter

She is an early riser Yesterday it was 4.30 am! Probably the light and the dawn chorus. Her toileting needs are still under assessment so I had to get up and let her out. Last night I covered her crate as much as I could to keep out the light and left the radio on Radio 3 to drown out the birds. I also left Georgia in the kitchen with her as many Greyhounds have never been alone. They always have a kennel mate and Molly, a breeding machine, lived with her sister in a farmyard.

6am today. Not good for an insomniac who had just gone off to sleep Better than yesterday though.
greygit, tugboat and JanHank like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-05-2021, 07:08

She'll soon get used to a routine hopefully.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-05-2021, 07:26 Thread Starter

We blacked out the windows as much as we could and put the radio on for her last night. 5 am she barked but settled again until 6 am when she insisted it was time for a wee Once she had that she just zonked out again. Having lived in a farmyard most of her life I suppose she pleased herself when she had a wee?

Her teeth are truly awful. The result of years of feeding slop which is common among greyhound folk. The decision, in Ireland, was that there was to be no medical intervention but I am going to talk to my vet about it. If he can crack some tartar while she is conscious I might be able to do some scraping.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-05-2021, 07:30

Would course biscuits help Pat?
patp likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-05-2021, 07:40 Thread Starter

Yes Kev, as would bones. It is early days in the digestive department though. She has a history of not eating and having diarrhoea so I am being very conservative with what I give her. Sadly her teeth mean that she refuses any dry food I do have some gel that keeps the bacteria at bay and sooths the gums. She is also on anti inflammatory meds.
Like all greyhounds she is an easy dog. Why do anything when you can sleep
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-05-2021, 12:17

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We use dental sticks for shadow as we dare not risk bones

He seems to tolerate them ok

One after each meal

His teeth are not brilliant although the vet says they are ok and he is getting old at 13

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-05-2021, 13:37 Thread Starter

Enormous marrow bones are ok. Vets still tell you to be careful as dogs can break their teeth on them! It all depends on the dog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page