Pet Passports - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Penquin
  • 2 Post By erneboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 12:06 Thread Starter

Pet Passports

As many will know we spent the winter in Spain. It is widely known that the vets in Spain will stamp your pet passport with a "forward" date and give the the worming tablet to you so that you can administer it at the right time on your journey South.

In principle, I don't agree with this practice because people will fail to administer the tablet for many reasons and Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm is not to be messed with. In practice it is much simpler to use the local Spanish vet This is what we did. She post dated the passport to 30th as, at that time, we were dribbling home. Then the situation changed and we moved things on. Of course we had no idea what the date was as we had been lounging around so long

When we arrived for the Passport to be checked they saw what was going on. I was truthful and told them that I had given the dog the tablet the day before to comply with the spirit of the law.

The supervisor came to give me a lecture and told me that he had seen several cases and if the emergency had not been in place we would have been held over for 48 hours. He also said that he was going to send a report to the Spanish authorities for them to clamp down on the practice. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 12:14

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Thanks, yes that is an important warning, but I suspect the Spanish authorities will treat such a report with a gesture borrowed from the French.... a Gallic shrug....

Things are unlikely to change as there are much higher priorities for most people at present and, as long as the tablet has been given 24 hours + the dangers of the tapeworm are fairly well reduced. France, of course invented bureaucracy but I believe it is the BRITISH authorities that enforce the rules as it is the time of ARRIVAL in the UK that is the cut off time. That is of greater importance on ferries than the tunnel, of course as they take so much longer.

The important thing is that all of you are safely back.
patp likes this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 12:15

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Le's hope a well meaning vet doing a favour doesn't get into bother over that.
patp and JanHank like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 13:40 Thread Starter

I tried to defend the vet and they assured me that they would not be getting in touch with her. They were going to inform the "Spanish Authorities" of the situation. I suspect that a letter might reach all Spanish vets because there are many that offer the service.

I said earlier that I do not agree with it in principle and we were discussing it with a fellow camper. They were pleased to be getting the tablets but said they doubted they would get them down one of their three dogs. If that happens in the vet surgery the dog can be given and injection instead. If it happens on the road then that dog could carry the nasty worm back to the UK.

I am hoping that, post Brexit, the uk brings back the tick treatment that the EU dropped. I always treat for ticks before we travel home.
The other thing I would bring back is the blood test to make sure the vaccine has taken. Again the EU dropped the requirement that the British government had originally put in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page