3Likes
  • 2 Post By xgx
  • 1 Post By patp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 11:55 Thread Starter
xgx

My Motorhome: I drive...
Flea treatment (Dog)

Currently using Advocate from the Vet at a cost of £one arm, one leg and and notes!

Anyone used the various other 'spot on' treatments such as the RSPCA one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 12:15

You could probably reduce the cost by buying online rather than from the local vet.
eg https://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Do...ks/c/PSGB00056
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 13:40 Thread Starter
xgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellyneck View Post
You could probably reduce the cost by buying online rather than from the local vet.
eg https://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Do...ks/c/PSGB00056
Thanks, tried that and found some good prices ...until P&P is added.

It's more about finding a good product from recommendations at a reasonable cost.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 16:56

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
We have used tablets for the past 2 years and they are very effective for tick and fleas.
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-pre...lets-c-21_2018

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 17:06

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
How about a bath Graham?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 17:16 Thread Starter
xgx

No thanks Ray, had one two years ago ...with enough Radox to float
raynipper and JanHank like this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-01-2020, 08:33

Nope, Graham. As an ex vet nurse, I can tell you that the over the counter products do not work as well as those sold at the vet's. That goes for wormers and all sorts of other treatments. You will see Frontline sold at chemists now. It is because fleas have become resistant to it. Frontline have brought out a new one but, guess what, you can only get it from the vet.

I, and another vet nurse, are trialling our own system - I have to preface it by saying that we do not have an existing flea problem.

We are treating the house with the spray that kills the eggs and larvae. The one I use is Indorex. That is available without prescription. It lasts a year! You have to spray it into every little nook and cranny everywhere. Vacuum well before you start to pick up any eggs in the carpet.

Dog fleas (well cat fleas really because dog fleas are rare) live and breed in the environment. They jump on the dog or cat to feed and then jump off to hide and breed in the cracks and crevices around the house. If you can interrupt that life cycle then you stand a good chance of see the blighters off. It is working so far! We both do not have cats in the house. This is quite important as cats are a major source of fleas entering the house and our system may not be strong enough to cope with constant invasions from indoor cats picking fresh fleas up outside.

If my dog was to get fleas on her then I would shoot off to the vet for some treatment as you don't want them to get a foot in the door (or on the dog )

I have been doing this for some months. I did have a hiccough when my dog went to a friends house and picked up fleas there so that is the risk you take. I have pleaded with my friend to treat her house but she continues to buy stuff cheap from the pet shop. She believes that flea combs and such things work. If she had seen what I have seen she would rush out and get the proper treatment for her dogs straight away. I have never done the monthly treatments anyway because we don't have a cat now and think that it is a bit over the top for our situation. Cats will leave flea eggs in people's gardens though. Again we rarely see a visiting cat and those that do visit may well be treated
The Following User Says Thank You to patp For This Useful Post:
xgx (20-01-2020)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-01-2020, 10:47 Thread Starter
xgx

Much appreciated info Pat!
I'm not keen on the idea of tablets, too great a risk of side effects for my wee pal Zak (Rescue Yorkie)

There's a local cat that passes through the garden
..,can probably sort that as soon as the hose thaws

I also have a friend that has cats ... she gave me a lift in her car and was complaining about fleas annoying her!!
..,can probably sort that too, as soon as the hose thaws

I've found one that contains Fipronil as the active ingredient, might try that although I'm not keen on monthly treatments but accept that it's better than mediation for the skin reaction to flea bites.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-01-2020, 11:07

The hose pip works for about 10 minutes Cats are mostly nocturnal and will hunt through a wide territory each night if allowed out.

If your friend is complaining about cat fleas then she can carry the eggs on her clothing and contaminate territory elsewhere.

It is an awful problem and I get very cross when intelligent friends complain about their dog being infested with fleas but doing nothing, useful, to control them. They suck blood so a bad infestation will cause an animal to become anaemic. They cause flea allergy dermatitis which is very distressing and just one flea bite can set some dogs and cats off into a spiral of scratching and setting up an infection. All of which is much more expensive than flea treatment.

I would say you are medium risk with cats passing through so, if you treat the house, you could probably get away with using flea treatment every 3 months or so in the winter but you might need it more frequently in the summer The little blighters breed like crazy.
xgx likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page