Every day - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 11:46

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Jan

Sorry to interrupt the Motley and It'sme thread but you OP was the first I knew that Hans is not at home - you did not post or I missed it.

I suppose it means you took him back to the hospital.

I was going to ask for a medical update this morning anyway.

PM me if you do not want to clutter the thread.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 11:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Jan
Sorry to interrupt the Motley and It'sme thread but you OP was the first I knew that Hans is not at home - you did not post or I missed it.
I suppose it means you took him back to the hospital.
I was going to ask for a medical update this morning anyway.
PM me if you do not want to clutter the thread.
Geoff
pm sent Geoff, this thread was started on the 7th April 😉 he's here now.
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to JanHank For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (14-04-2019)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-04-2019, 14:32

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hows the old man doing Gerty, still well and getting more well I hope.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 08:17

I have never had a dog with bad breath. Well, not unless they had scavenged something disgusting

First thing I would try to find out is where the smell is coming from. Is it just the mouth or is it coming from deeper down. Obviously, if it is just the mouth then keeping that clean should solve matters. Feeding dry food that does not cling around the teeth might help? If it seems to be coming from deeper down then diet might be a factor? Kidneys? All sorts of things really.

I must admit that most of the smelly dogs I have met are a bit overweight, as most dogs these days seem to be, and under exercised for their breed. If I had a penny for all the people who have told me that their dog gets loads of exercise only to find out that they stroll to the nearest toileting place and stroll back again. At most they throw a ball in the garden. There are some dogs in this village that never go out! My sister-in-lay just hits a ball with a tennis racket up and down her large garden. Her dog now has severe joint problems as it has never warmed its joints up Going out for a walk is so much more than just exercise. It warms the joints and allows sniffing which is so beneficial for dogs to engage in for their mental health.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 16:28 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
I have never had a dog with bad breath.
You have obviously never had a Sheltie Pat, they apparently are renowned for bad breath, we've had 4, all 4 had smelly breath, 5 German Shepherds all had sweet breath.
In the past year we've seen 3 vets, non of them had a remedy until I asked the last one about Flagyl which our Brandy numbest two had for gum disease. None of the Shelties were overweight (over furred maybe ) Motley weighs the same now as he did at a year old 10.5 kg. he has plenty of exercise and plenty of sniffing as he is rarely on the lead. You also know I clean his teeth daily.

I'm Jan
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 16:46

If they have gum disease then, of course, that will cause it. Are Shelties prone to gum disease? I know Poodles used to be but I think it has been less common lately. Mind you dogs' diets have improved enormously since God was a boy. The era I am talking about is when all dogs were fed tinned dog food which, of course, would stick around their teeth unless cleaned off in some way. Dentals on Poodles were almost a daily occurrence when I was nursing. Now that dried food is used more than tinned things have improved on that front.
The vet nurses I worked with recently all recommended brushing as the preferred method of cleaning but realised that many people just would not persevere with it. You deserve a Gold Star.
There is a toothpaste that the dog can just be fed. It is supposed to dissolve plaque and freshen breath.
I think you will find that Flagyl is an antibiotic. It will only be prescribed for gum disease and not for preventative purposes.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-04-2019, 20:03 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
If they have gum disease then, of course, that will cause it. Are Shelties prone to gum disease? I know Poodles used to be but I think it has been less common lately. Mind you dogs' diets have improved enormously since God was a boy. The era I am talking about is when all dogs were fed tinned dog food which, of course, would stick around their teeth unless cleaned off in some way. Dentals on Poodles were almost a daily occurrence when I was nursing. Now that dried food is used more than tinned things have improved on that front.
The vet nurses I worked with recently all recommended brushing as the preferred method of cleaning but realised that many people just would not persevere with it. You deserve a Gold Star.
There is a toothpaste that the dog can just be fed. It is supposed to dissolve plaque and freshen breath.
I think you will find that Flagyl is an antibiotic. It will only be prescribed for gum disease and not for preventative purposes.
We took Motley because his gums for 2 front teeth are sore, he doesn't like me brushing them so I have used dentisept for years. New vet so asked again and mentioned the bad breath. The 10 tablets are for his breath and still working so far
fdhadi likes this.

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page