Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Pets (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/)
-   -   Here is Motleys new friend (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/235473-here-motleys-new-friend.html)

patp 24-05-2019 11:09

You can, sometimes, tell by coat colour. Tortoiseshell cats (combinations of ginger with black, white, tabby all mixed together) are always female. Ginger females are rare but not impossible. With tabbies or blacks or black/white you will have to check their equipment :) It's a long time since I've done it in cats, though I did have a job, once, where I had to breed rabbits (very onerous!) and then sex and divide the offspring. As rabbits hide their bits it was the more challenging part of the job :)

Is the owner going to neuter her now?

https://www.peta.org/issues/animal-c...n/spay-neuter/

JanHank 24-05-2019 11:53

I keep dropping hints Pat, she is still producing milk & feeding them, how long should one wait?

patp 24-05-2019 17:55

The milk should be dried up. If the kittens are weaned then sometimes it is best to separate them in order to get her done pronto. Sometimes they are already pregnant when the kittens are weaned! If she is in early pregnancy she can still be done (and sometimes not so early pregnancy).
The kittens can start to breed from about four months old.

JanHank 24-05-2019 18:38

I think they were born April 12th making them 6 weeks old, bit young to be taken from their Mum I think.
I'm really not sure what to do, I don't want to appear an interfering busy body, after all the cats have all lived happily prior to us getting to know them.
When Hans comes home he will talk to Horst and see what he says, he may be very happy for someone to pay the bill even though I am sure he isn't hard up for a bob or two.

patp 24-05-2019 19:20

Perhaps a half and half separation? They spend daytime separate and are together at night? Cats mature more quickly than dogs.

JanHank 24-05-2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by patp (Post 3034139)
Perhaps a half and half separation? They spend daytime separate and are together at night? Cats mature more quickly than dogs.

I think Itsme leaves them on their own quite a bit in the daytime.
After we have seen the kittens we usually go on further for our walk, when we came back from that walk tonight Itsme was outside as if she was waiting for us, I gave her another cuddle and it really is so lovely because she will come with us to a certain point then stops and watches us walk away, after a while she turns and goes home.

patp 25-05-2019 07:14

Bless her :)

We are feeding the horses, hens and three cats belonging to our neighbours at the moment. We haven't seen their kittens since they were tiny and they are now full grown. We fed them the first night and the very next morning a face appeared at our patio doors pleading to be fed breakfast! She must have tracked our scent right from their stables in their field, across the road and round the back of our house :)

JanHank 25-05-2019 07:16

Dumb animals eh? They have more sense than some people.

JanHank 26-05-2019 20:19

Today I had a look 😁 the grey one is a girl the other a boy.

The grey one is very playful and encouraged Motley to play, Itsme got the wrong idea and if I hadn't intercepted she would have had a go at him so I think it's time to stop the daily visits now. We will see Itsme outside the gate, she will come when I call, without the kittens she still makes up to him.