Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Pets (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/)
-   -   Here is Motleys new friend (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/35-pets/235473-here-motleys-new-friend.html)

JanHank 29-04-2019 10:13

Sandra.
And who is going to walk this dog, lift it into the car when it can´t get in, groom it and all the other things that go with big dogs. Unfortunately no, we are no longer fit enough, we have decided and it´s the best and wisest decision.

Pat.
I think you had the wrong combinations, we've always had at least 2, before Shade and Motley we had 3, when Kristel, the Matriarch, died the other 2 went down hill quite rapidly and it was obviously they missed her as we did.

Motley is only now beginning to accept Shade is no longer here, he would look for him in all our old walking places and that was also quite obvious. Now he looks forward every day to seeing Itsme, the kittens and the other cats.
Another of the cats is now making up to him so we have named her/him Metoo, it can´t be picked up yet, just like Itsme, but we are allowed to stroke it and I have lifted it off the ground a few times, it'll soon be like Itsme and then I can look to see if it´s he or she:grin2:

aldra 30-04-2019 21:24

I forgot you have motley

And I agree I’d never have two dogs again

And when Shadow goes

Well we can travel far afield if joints allow it

No longer will a hound from hell

leap on the bed when Albert gets up and talk to me

This is one vocal hound

To demand his meals if he’s feeling well

To adore the family visiting

To protect the van, the house

To leave a huge gap in our life

When he goes

Sandra

JanHank 30-04-2019 21:37

There's still two big gaps here😥
But to go and visit Itsme, the kittens, Metoo who is getting very touchable and I can now lift it up a few inches from the ground, plus 4 or 5 others and the chickens with cockerel who also eat the dry cat food, it's a nice half hour each day.

aldra 30-04-2019 22:01

For us there will be only one now

The hound from hell

Who has bit all his babies, although gently , maybe not always so gently , but respect they didn’t bleed

And they love him this gentle and not so gentle giant

He’s never eaten a cat , chased a few up trees

And when this dog dies

Well he has certainly had his day

With respect to the poem

A little dogs day

Which probably describes a young me

And a hound from hell , named shadow

Sandra

aldra 30-04-2019 23:10

“All in the town were still asleep

When the sun came up with a shout and a leap

In the lonely street unseen by man

A little dog danced and his day began “

And how stupid is it 75 years later, possibly only 70 yrs I still
remember

I was the little dog that danced

I never accepted the children’s homes

I hated the ladies and bit all the babies

I chased all the cats up the trees and then ate them

They thought that the devil was holding a revel .....

....Outside in the gloom of the twilight grey

The little dog died but he’d had his day

And I met Albert

Sandra

patp 01-05-2019 08:09

Very poetic Sandra!

I have had lots of combinations, Jan. They all got on with each other and mourned when one died. Some combinations were troublesome such as the hounds that would go off hunting others were mutually beneficial where a younger dog would guide an old one away from danger. Older dogs are useful for teaching puppies manners. Just last Autumn we had four here. Now down to one again.

It is the human dog interaction that is, in my opinion, better when there is only one. We can totally meet the needs of that dog without having to consider another one.

A little story.
At work we had a client with two small breed dogs. According to the owner, the dogs were "inseparable". They informed the practice that when the time came to part with one they would have to have the companion put to sleep at the same time as it would be "inconsolable" without its friend. Well, the sad day came, dog number one was eased out of this life. The owners then asked the vet to perform the same for the second dog who was, although elderly, perfectly healthy. The vet gently explained that he could not put a healthy dog to sleep. Lots of discussions and the vet, exasperated by now, offered them a consultation with me. I advised that the remaining dog should sniff the body of the deceased and to then go home for a spot of spoiling. We duly had a chat about bereavement and loss and how they could help the remaining dog to cope. They were very sceptical and mentioned words like "pining away".

I heard nothing more so followed up by telephone a week or so later only to be told that they were disgusted with said remaining dog as he was happier than he had ever been!

He could now play with whichever toys he liked, sleep where he liked, cuddle his owners and eat his meals without another pair of eyes watching him!

JanHank 01-05-2019 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by patp (Post 3028661)
We only ever have one dog at a time, now. Had some bad experiences with multiples and found that when one got left on its own it was just as happy if not happier.

Not what you said to start with Pat.
We will have to agree to disagree on a lot as far as dogs are concerned.
Does Motley get extra attention -- no, he comes on the bed mornings and bed time for 10 minutes just the same, Shade didn't (only on the odd occasion)
He is played with equally the same because he was the ball chaser, Shade mostly ran round with his ball in his mouth and pointed out where the ball was if Motley couldn´t find it.
Motley still sits between us in the evening as and when he feels like it or it chasing after his ball exactly as before.
Is he happier--- no.
His life has not changed except his and our big and little pal are missing.

The story is irrelevant, to have the ones left behind euthanised at the same time would never cross our minds.
Sounds a bit like a story from a dog behaviourist manual. :smile2:

patp 01-05-2019 11:45

The story (personal experience, by the way, not from a dog behaviour manual :)) was to point out that dogs, themselves, do not need a doggy companion. It was my way of explaining why we now only have one at a time. We humans often believe that dogs are not happy unless they have another dog to live with.
I read, in the paper, just recently that people are criticising other dog owners if they do not provide a "playmate" for their only dog!
Of course, this trend may well have started with breeders hoping to offload a second puppy from the litter on to unsuspecting owners by telling them that they will be "friends" :(

JanHank 01-05-2019 12:26

At least 2 questions should be asked when getting a new dog, IMO as Dave would say :grin2:
Does this breed of dog suit your lifestyle.
Is your K9 experience sufficient to handle this breed of dog.

Mind you some dog owners shouldn't be allowed to own a hamster.>:)

patp 01-05-2019 12:37

I agree, Jan. Sadly, it is not how it works. Most breeders love their particular breed of dog. They are blinkered to its faults and they tell prospective owners that their breed is the best in the world. When complaints reach the breeder their answer is that the dog "will grow out of it" !
The answer, I believe, is to make dogs much harder to come by. If the demand was much more than the supply then the suppliers (breeders and rescue centres) would be in the position to turn unsuitable owners away. If supply was really short then rescue centres would not be needed!