Stray cat - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 Thread Starter

Stray cat

Early in the summer a cat was hanging around our front garden. I asked the neighbours over the road if it was theirs and they said it was "Hobbo Bob" and no, it was not theirs but had been hanging around eating their cats' food for a while (their cats live in the tack room of the stables).
I managed to get close enough to handle the cat and found "her" to be rather thin. Now, I cannot stand to see a neglected animal so off to the vet we went. There was no chip and the vet thought she was "about 3" and agreed that she was very bony.

I tried and tried to find her owner using Facebook, LostDog, Norfolk Missing Pets, Posters around the area and in vets'. So, she has been living in our mower shed all summer, wormed, flee'd and fed by us. She started to look well - until now.

I had been leaving Chris to feed her as it was his shed she was living in. When I decided that the mower shed was too cold and I had to move her to the (heated) Porta Cabin I found her very thin and with an un-groomed coat. Off to the vet we go!
Turns out, after £174 worth of blood tests) that she may have arthritis. The bloods were all clear, including for Feline Aids, so the vet is thinking that it is too painful for her to bend to eat and to groom. The cold weather has caused her arthritis to flare up. She refuses to stay put in the warm porta-cabin but I am working on it We have installed a cat flap for her. She knows how to use it so she has lived in a home before.

The reason I have not invited her into the house is that I CAN'T KEEP HER. We are off for three months soon. What a dilemma. Before her decline I was hoping that neighbours would feed her but now she needs medication it will be a two man job.

Anyone want a nice little cat with a touch of arthritis?
erneboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 13:22

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I remember you telling us about her Pat, but thought you had found the owner. Isn't there an RSPCA shelter near you or some other animal charity to take her to?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 14:24 Thread Starter

The answer is "probably" Jan. The trouble is as I have almost always been an animal adopter it goes against the grain to put an animal into a rescue centre. If we asked her then I am sure she would rather stay where she is. There is a wonderful cat sanctuary nearby but they are always short of funds and bursting at the seams.

I will have one last go to see if she will take her medicine in food. If she will then it may be possible for her to stay here with friends feeding and keeping an eye on her. My most trusted pet feeding friend has issues with giving pets medicine. Her mother is a herbalist and I have known her to refuse to medicate a pet (or herself) with main stream drugs. This would worry me, while I was away, for fear she does the same with this cat. If the cat will eat the food with the medicine in I might worry less though not sure why! Perhaps it will give me more options?

I am trying desperately hard not to bond with this cat. Now it needs medical care it is even harder for me.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 14:31

Personal Aire
Is it liquid medicine then? If so can't you ask for tablets? I used to give Manny her tablets rolled up in liversausage, never failed.

I'm Jan
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 14:43 Thread Starter

It is liquid medicine, Jan. Some cats take it quite well as it is like a syrup.
Generally speaking it is easier to squirt the medicine down a cat's throat. Most cats will sort out tablets from food. If she will take it in food then it is a one man/woman job. If it has to be squirted then it will need two people unless I am very lucky and can trap her on my lap and squirt it in her mouth at the same time. As she does not really like being handled yet it could prove a problem.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 15:38

Personal Aire
I must have had the other cats then, 3 in total and always gave tablets wrapped in spreading sausage, 3 bits without anything in then the last one with the tablet, worked every time for me.

I'm Jan
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 17:01

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Does she not eat dried cat food pat ?

If so self feeding tower may be the answer when you are away , so could invite her into the house via a cat flap

Wouldnít solve the problem of medication though, or of heat if you are away

Iíd like a cat but I like my sparrows, and now we have resumed feeding them we once again have a visiting sleek, shiny brown rat.I guess the pond attracts them too

Still there is a lot of bad feelings about rats, but these are not the sewer rats and shadow doesnít use the back garden

No cats around here now , the Asian population donít seem too keen on them

So no deterrent any more

Talking of shadow heís gone to be clipped and bathed , Albert has just gone to collect him, I wonder if Clare has controlled his Yeti feet

Trouble is he has as much long hair underneath , between his pads as on top

Thank goodness for an artificial lawn

Sandra
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 17:04

Ps

Fortunately as I day care a South African Ridgeback

We have no lions in our garden

Sandra
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 17:24 Thread Starter

Cats can be nocturnal Sandra. But at least the birds should be safe from them then. Cats will take a baby rat but rarely a full grown one. We had a cat that used to bring them home live and let them go in the house. One got behind a radiator once and I remember Chris trying to shoot it with his air rifle! The cat just sat and smirked.

Jan, by spreading sausage do you mean pate? I used your, one in three, method on one of my dogs who would sort a tablet out of any treat.

I think the question is academic now, anyway. I have just been outside to medicate her. I squirted the medicine onto a teaspoon full of wet cat food and she scoffed it all down! I then tried to groom the knots out of her coat but got badly bitten for my troubles! Think I might turn the heater off tonight to teach her a lesson
aldra likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 17:27

And heís back, and looks fantastic

£50 well spent

A black bear

And Iíve washed his grotty teddy, needs extra stuffing and stitching

Will it survive him?

It needs to,he will have no other

Itís lost an arm, no doubt down to Winston , and Iíve never found it

Tomorrow heíll get it back, without it heís lost, grabbed whenever anyone visits, in sadness and in joy

His comfort blanket

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page