Important Info Re-Vaccination Validity - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 21:41

Hi I know this is actually a website for a vets in Staffs but it does have some simple explanation of the passport and where you can travel etc
http://www.poolhousevets.co.uk/companion_passport.html my dogs booster here was quite a bit cheaper so it just shows how vets can vary.

I still wish we could all have guidelines etc on the best way to prevent heartworm etc something I didn't even know about a few months ago, so if anyone comes across up to date info can you please post in this topic as the others are dropping down the page.

Mods please could we have a sticky on heartworm etc as it is very important to us pet owners. I have asked in a previous topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 13:01

rabies injections

Hello,
i am quite confused,dogs passport is valid to 30/10/09,he had his last one on 31/10/07,merial animal health rabisin,underneath the expiry date is written (but advise annual boost) is the boost manditory?the vet tells me we will have to start all over again with that sort of delay he cant travel.Any advice will be very welcome as our first trip is booked for the end of may.
thank you .
Pete.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 16:16 Thread Starter

Re: rabies injections

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursangmk2
Hello,
i am quite confused,dogs passport is valid to 30/10/09,he had his last one on 31/10/07,merial animal health rabisin,underneath the expiry date is written (but advise annual boost) is the boost manditory?the vet tells me we will have to start all over again with that sort of delay he cant travel.Any advice will be very welcome as our first trip is booked for the end of may.
thank you .
Pete.
Hello Pete,

Your pets passport (I assume you mean the anti rabies vaccination) is valid until 30/10/09 so WILL BE OK .

As the vaccination was given on 31/10/07 it is a 2 year anti rabies vaccination.

YOU MUST make sure the booster anti rabies vacination is repeated BEFORE 31/10/09 otherwise yes you will have to repeat the whole saga of blood tests etc.

SO MAKE SURE the anti rabies vaccination is given at least by 30/10/09 or to be safe 2 days before due date.

Some vets do advise annual booster and in fact our vet usually sends us a yearly reminder. HOWEVER we have told our vet that this is unnecessary so the validity period as stated by the anti rabies vaccine is fine.

YOU ONLY NEED an annual booster if you stay in a country for 3 months or more (you are in France at least deemed to be resident if 3 months or more in the country). The pet then comes under their rules which is yearly vaccination.

All European countries that belong to the Pets Passport scheme accept our Blue Pets Passport.

On coming back to the UK the authorities at check in will check the Pets microchip number corresponds to that on the Pets Passport and will check that the Treatment for entering the UK has been done eg: Frontline and Drontal (tick & worm) and that the 24 to 48 hr window is adhered to.

They will also check that the anti rabies vaccination is within date. So for this year you are ok until 30/10/09.

Hope that info is ok for you.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 21:07

Hi Rita is right, I think where a lot of confusion comes in is that some vets suggest a yearly booster why I don't know ! I have discussed this with the vet we use in France also, and I think the problem is due to the requirements in other countries which only affects you if you live for 3 months or more in the said countries.

My second dog has a three year vaccination and I contacted DEFRA a couple of days ago to re check on the situation this is their reply today.

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail received on the 7th April 2009.

For pets to be eligible for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) they must have a valid rabies vaccination. Booster vaccinations are given as per the manufacturers data sheet provided with the vaccine. This can be between 1 to 3 years depending on the vaccine administered. Booster vaccinations are valid for entry to the UK and other EU countries from the date given provided they are given on time (according to the instructions in the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet where the previous vaccination was given). Please note that it is the "valid until" date written in the passport which is taken into account when travelling under the Pet Travel Scheme. If the revaccination date is missed the pet will not meet the conditions of the scheme and will have to be vaccinated and, for entry to the UK, blood tested again. The 6 month rule will then apply from the date the new blood sample is taken assuming the blood test result is satisfactory. If your pet always has the booster on time, it will not need a further blood test, or be subject to a further 6 months wait, provided your pet does not enter an unlisted country.
Just to add my other dog had a two year vaccination originally same vaccination as your dog, I have travelled up to that two year time with no problem at all, and the passport area for dogs at Calais also told me it is the valid until date they go by so you should have no problem at all, why oh why can't UK vets get this right and give out the correct advise.

The following is another email I have had regarding the three year vaccination

Quote:
Thankyou for your email.

The duration of immunity for Nobivac Rabies vaccination is 3 years, therefore a booster vaccination is required every three years. This has been the case since 25th October 2005. The rabies vaccinations your dog has received on 10/4/07 and 27/4/07 will expire 3 years after the date they were given. You have written that this is recorded on your passport as 9/4/10 and 26/4/10.

We would suggest that you contact DEFRA and your veterinary surgeon to ensure that your animal is correctly vaccinated with regards to regulations and requirements of the Pet Travel scheme.
The contact details for DEFRA are www.defra.gov.uk and click on Pet Travel scheme or there is a helpline number 0870 241 1710.

Yours sincerely

Nadine Anderson BSc BVetMed MRCVS
Companion Animal Veterinary Adviser
I suggest you also contact DEFRA as they will put your mind at rest. Merial was def the first vaccination my other dog had and it was indeed for two years, but he also now has the three yearly vaccination.

Just make sure that you have the booster done before 30/10/09 and you will be fine.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarose
Hi Rita is right, I think where a lot of confusion comes in is that some vets suggest a yearly booster why I don't know ! I have discussed this with the vet we use in France also, and I think the problem is due to the requirements in other countries which only affects you if you live for 3 months or more in the said countries.

My second dog has a three year vaccination and I contacted DEFRA a couple of days ago to re check on the situation this is their reply today.

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail received on the 7th April 2009.

For pets to be eligible for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) they must have a valid rabies vaccination. Booster vaccinations are given as per the manufacturers data sheet provided with the vaccine. This can be between 1 to 3 years depending on the vaccine administered. Booster vaccinations are valid for entry to the UK and other EU countries from the date given provided they are given on time (according to the instructions in the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet where the previous vaccination was given). Please note that it is the "valid until" date written in the passport which is taken into account when travelling under the Pet Travel Scheme. If the revaccination date is missed the pet will not meet the conditions of the scheme and will have to be vaccinated and, for entry to the UK, blood tested again. The 6 month rule will then apply from the date the new blood sample is taken assuming the blood test result is satisfactory. If your pet always has the booster on time, it will not need a further blood test, or be subject to a further 6 months wait, provided your pet does not enter an unlisted country.
Just to add my other dog had a two year vaccination originally same vaccination as your dog, I have travelled up to that two year time with no problem at all, and the passport area for dogs at Calais also told me it is the valid until date they go by so you should have no problem at all, why oh why can't UK vets get this right and give out the correct advise.

The following is another email I have had regarding the three year vaccination

Quote:
Thankyou for your email.

The duration of immunity for Nobivac Rabies vaccination is 3 years, therefore a booster vaccination is required every three years. This has been the case since 25th October 2005. The rabies vaccinations your dog has received on 10/4/07 and 27/4/07 will expire 3 years after the date they were given. You have written that this is recorded on your passport as 9/4/10 and 26/4/10.

We would suggest that you contact DEFRA and your veterinary surgeon to ensure that your animal is correctly vaccinated with regards to regulations and requirements of the Pet Travel scheme.
The contact details for DEFRA are www.defra.gov.uk and click on Pet Travel scheme or there is a helpline number 0870 241 1710.

Yours sincerely

Companion Animal Veterinary Adviser
I suggest you also contact DEFRA as they will put your mind at rest. Merial was def the first vaccination my other dog had and it was indeed for two years, but he also now has the three yearly vaccination.

Just make sure that you have the booster done before 30/10/09 and you will be fine.
Thank you all for help,
i called defra and they could not understand why my local vet had advised me to have annual booster,defra told me to ignore it.Just comply to the expiry date.
Kind regards.
Pete.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 21:53

Hi ref Nobivac vaccination which is the one my youngest dog has had, I queried again the three year vaccination and have received the following reply..........this may help others.

*Edit to add this was the email I sent to them

Hi thanks for the reply, I am sure that the dog is correctly vaccinated as we have already travelled twice with them..........it was the three year expiry that worried me.

Just as a matter of interest I presume only one booster will be needed, which date does that go on would it be the first vaccination or the second ? I have contacted DEFRA and they advised me that they go by the manufacturers data sheets...........so I assume as you are saying three years then three years is fine.

Dear ***********

The data sheet for Nobivac Rabies states a booster vaccination every 3 years. This is a single dose.

I am assuming that your dog was vaccinated with two doses initally because he was either:
a) a young animal below three months of age at the first vaccination on 10/4/07 or
b) your veterinary practice gives two vaccines for the initial vaccine cours. This can be helpful in young animals to ensure that the animal reaches the correct titre level when blood tested for the Pet Travel Scheme.

The booster would be due by the day before the expiry of the second vaccination which was 27/4/07 ie. 26/4/10.

Yours sincerely

post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 Thread Starter

Our new puppy has had two rabies vaccinations (vet thought it was best as she was so young).

I wondered if the booster would be due from the 1st or 2nd so now I know its from the 2nd.

Jabuliles rabies vac lasts for 3 years but I see the puppy's last only for two years.
Perhaps again becasue she is young or just that it was the only rabies vac they had at the surgery, who knows, they don't seem to mention details like that at the vet surgery.

We just pay the bills It would be nice though if the surgery/vet could ask which we wanted, 2 or 3 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page