Important Info Re-Vaccination Validity - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-08-2007, 15:57 Thread Starter

I feel for you.

Our vet is on the ball and made sure we knew to book a vets appointment BEFORE the anti-rabies expired. They even sent a card to remind us when the 1 year was coming up but as we knew it lasted for 2 years we left it.

We had Jabulile done before we went to the Western show at Malvern on 7th Aug she was actually due a week later but we wanted to make sure we weren't late So she is all up to date for her next trip.

The vet mentioned having the anti-rabies every year, just in case we would forget at 2 years!. We said no if it lasts for 2 years then that was ok with us as we go frequently and are constantly checking the passport and vaccination validity.

Do also remember that if you plan to be in France for more than 3 months then the 1 year rule applies. Pets are counted as being resident in the country if you are there for 3 months or more and subject to their regulations.

It is a GREAT pity that the vets didn't remind you when you phoned for an appointment because if vaccination was done on 15/9 then the booster should have been done on the 14/9 at the latest.

If the vets knew it was for the anti rabies vaccination re pets passport then I think it was very remiss of the surgery to give you an appointment for the 16th!!! I feel they should have informed you at the time you tried to make the appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-08-2007, 20:04

Barts said "...the pet passport was now invalid and we had to get the injection, bloodtest and wait a period of another 6 Sad months before we could take her abroad so please make sure you have the booster within the two years and not a day over"

we were in a similar situation earlier this year our youngest dog being two days overdue, but stuck to our guns about the need for a full course again, and the vet relented - she gave us the datasheet from the vaccine which states that it lasts three years.

Different vacccines may have different timescales but you should always ask for the datasheet for any medication for your pets - you always get it for yourself!

Bernie's OH
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-08-2007, 20:14
RR

Send a message via MSN to RR Send a message via Yahoo to RR
Getting very confused here (having dim day)

Our dogs are due in November for the two yearly jab but we are going to France for 3 weeks September and was intending to have them done straight away on our return.

Is there a problem?

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-08-2007, 20:21

RR, I don't see that there is any problem, as long as the dogs immunisation is within the time scale given on the datasheet for that specific vaccine (2 years in your case).

Just make sure the routine boosters are given in time - November. If you aren't sure you can ask the vet for a datasheet for the vaccine which should be noted in the passport.
Ask for the datasheet for the boosters given later on.

Bernie's OH
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-08-2007, 20:58
RR

Send a message via MSN to RR Send a message via Yahoo to RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernies
RR, I don't see that there is any problem, as long as the dogs immunisation is within the time scale given on the datasheet for that specific vaccine (2 years in your case).

Just make sure the routine boosters are given in time - November. If you aren't sure you can ask the vet for a datasheet for the vaccine which should be noted in the passport.
Ask for the datasheet for the boosters given later on.

Bernie's OH
Thank you
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 21-08-2007, 15:39 Thread Starter

RR,

All ok for your trip in Sept. Just make sure the anti-rabies booster is given before the (2 year expiry, in your case,) date, eg: if given Nov 10th then make sure the booster is before 10th).
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 16-10-2007, 21:20

Hi zulurita I notice your first post is quite a while ago so I presume since that time you would have decided whether to have a two year jab or yearly, can you or anyone else tell me if you have encountered any probs not having the jab yearly ? my dog was done in Aug 2006 and the vet advised me that I needed the booster in Aug 2008..............I just want to be sure that I am ok, as it is now two months over the time a yearly booster would have been due.

Sorry to be a pain and ask this but I have read here and other forums and some posts elsewhere have worried me a little as we plan to head off just after Xmas and I would hate to go away worrying.

The expiry on my passport for him is Aug 2008.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 16-10-2007, 21:54

I only have Charlie inoculated every two years, No problems.

However you must have it done before the actual day not the month.

E.g if your dog was inoculated on the 11th August then you must repeat before the 11th.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 16-10-2007, 22:03

Hi thanks yes I have read that that is important and have it firmly fixed in my mind not to go a day over..............I just wanted someone to say that they had actually waited two years and had no probs in France I would be so upset to encounter any probs with my boy.

We got our new motorhome today and part of the excitement is the thoughts of heading off just after Xmas to Spain or Portugal for 6 weeks so this worry has been at the back of my mind as we really wouldn't consider going if Rolo couldn't come with us.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 16-10-2007, 22:21

Quote:
We got our new motorhome today and part of the excitement is the thoughts of heading off just after Xmas to Spain or Portugal for 6 weeks so this worry has been at the back of my mind as we really wouldn't consider going if Rolo couldn't come with us.

I know how you feel but as long as you have his passport and the rabies is current, relax and have a good time.

I used to book a vet in France near the port for returning home, but now I call into one on the way home 24 hrs before returning then by the time we gat back to Calais we are ready to go, as opposed to hanging around for the 24 hrs. We have found quite often Fench vets have appointment system in the mornings but walk ins in the afternoon.

Have a good time Roy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page