Dog foster carer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-11-2014, 22:40 Thread Starter

Dog foster carer

Any ideas please, we have just completed a trip which was to last about six to eight weeks Unfortunately we had to cut the trip short because my wife as developed a severe allergy that causes her eyes to swell up when in close proximity to the hound, and living in a small box has been too much for her.

It has always been our dream to full time after we retired but this will have to be put on hold if we cant sort the problem out, I groomed him everyday and gave him a rub down with a damp cloth but this had only a minor effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-11-2014, 23:42

Re: Dog foster carer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz7639
Any ideas please, we have just completed a trip which was to last about six to eight weeks Unfortunately we had to cut the trip short because my wife as developed a severe allergy that causes her eyes to swell up when in close proximity to the hound, and living in a small box has been too much for her.

It has always been our dream to full time after we retired but this will have to be put on hold if we cant sort the problem out, I groomed him everyday and gave him a rub down with a damp cloth but this had only a minor effect.
What sort of "hound" and what sort of arrangement?

PS If I remember correctly it should be a "wet copy of the Radio Times"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-11-2014, 07:59

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
It may be possible for her to seek medical advice and assistance - with some form of anti-histamine or possibly desensitising - only your Doctor can advise if this may be possible but......

Not nice for any of you, the dog is a precious part of your life and you had obviously hoped to be able to sort something out for all of you, I do hope that you are successful.

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-11-2014, 08:17

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
You know where this is gonna go doncha??? I better get in quick and then run. It's decision time.....

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-11-2014, 08:25

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
re dog foster carer

hi
sorry to hear about your wifes sensativity problem.

i have had to retire early at 59 through sensativity to lots of things after being in engineering all my life (even computer printer ink and wd40 )

anti- histamines will help in a lot of cases but it is a bit of try and see
and i hope it works for her

best of luck

barry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-11-2014, 10:40

Re: Dog foster carer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz7639

How do you know for certain its the hound

because you did not clarify if she had the condition before you went
could it be something else in the van for instance

1,materials
2,cleaning products
3,dust allergy because of small area

I hope its not the dog
I have had mine for 9 yrs and I would sooner stop using the van then anything else
Good luck I hope you get it sorted

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-11-2014, 00:58 Thread Starter

Unfortunately my wife has had two operations on her eyes so medication is not an option, whilst at home she uses four or five files of eye drops a day, whilst in the motorhome with the the hound she has had to five or six an hour.

Jaxx is a seven year old bouvier des Flanders and he normally has about four inches of fur but I keep him cut short, but he is still a dust magnet.

Trying times ahead me thinks , thanks for all the replies
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-11-2014, 15:49

I think you need to arrange proper allergy tests for your wife, ask your GP for advice where to get these, as there are some cowboys out there that claim to detect allergies from hair samples etc.

proper tests will involve various substances on the skin. You may have to pay for such tests, your GP should tell you.

Your wife may well be allergic to dog dander, but most people who have allergies are allergic to a number of things. For example, I am allergic to latex, wool, lanoline and codeine. Fortunately, I am able to avoid these.

Once you know what the allergies are, you can then get a course of desensitising injections, which should mean your wife will feel much better, and you can happily all use the MH (including the dog).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page