A second dog? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 11:06 Thread Starter

A second dog?

Hello
I need some advice on introducing a second dog into our house.

We aleady have a 5 year old Labradoodle male which has been on his own since birth really, but would like to get him a pal.

Could it be painless ? or Could it be like starting ww3 ?.

Is there a easy way to improve the chances of success ?

Any advice / warnings.

Thanks.

Cufc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 11:20

Re: A second dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblee
Hello
I need some advice on introducing a second dog into our house.

We aleady have a 5 year old Labradoodle male which has been on his own since birth really, but would like to get him a pal.

Could it be painless ? or Could it be like starting ww3 ?.

Is there a easy way to improve the chances of success ?

Any advice / warnings.

Thanks.
We've never had any problems when taking in rescued dogs but it's always a good idea to take your present dog with you when choosing another dog to make sure they get on, good luck.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 11:42

Hi

We have never had any problems, over the years we have introduced many dogs, all different ages, sex and breed and never had any problems.

We always make sure we introduce them somewhere neutral, sso they are not protective over their own territory.

Have fun!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 11:51

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
moblee - We already have a 5 year old Labradoodle male which has been on his own since birth really, but would like to get him a pal. - has he actually indicated he wants a Pal or is it just you who thinks it's a good idea?

We've had as many as four dogs, all arriving at different times, and it can either be a joy to behold or a bl**dy nightmare.

Getting a second dog does not just double the problems but usually creates many other things you perhaps hadn't thought of.

Space when travelling in a car will need to be much bigger, introducing another dog to your first dog's meal time can create fights, walking with two dogs on leads on icy paths can cause havoc, training the second dog to be as good as the first dog can be very frustrating, picking up faeces in a plastic bag with two dogs f*nnying around you is very difficult and obviously things like Vet and food bills will increase proportionately.

We've acquired both pups and rescue dogs over many years and it really is the luck of the draw how they turn out with their development, you just don't know what they've been through before you get them, and your enjoyment of their companionship.

Everything might go smoothly and you give a home to a happy pair of dogs and everyone lives happily ever after but just be wary and weigh up the pros and cons before you decide.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 12:02

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
It will be fine but a male will get on better, sooner with a bitch than with another male, Alan.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 12:12

We have never had less than three dogs. Most of which have been rescue shelties or rough collies. The last few years have seen us with six dogs and then our daughters two dropped off on a daily basis as she went to work.

Dogs are pack animals and have little or no trouble with setteling in.
Dave p

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 12:18

Agree with Alan

we have a pom since born and he is now 12,

we got a bichon Fries (is that how you spell it) and it is a bitch, although we got her spayed, i suppose thats like buying a ferrari and taking the engine out but we had no intention of breeding her.

at the start the pom was crabit and starting howling like a sea lion, numerous visits to the vets and xrays but nothing showed up, eventually he stopped

it may have been coincidence that this happened when we introduced the 2nd dog? but now they get on well, playing/licking each other, so go for it i say

also meant to say, the pom did try and pee on her at the start but that soon stopped.,
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 13:29

Increase in site charges, will have to pay for 2 dogs! can be £3 per dog.

We have 4 bitches. 2 of our own and 2 brought home by our youngest son when his relationship failed. He has now moved on and left us with the dogs, who of course, I cant bear to see re-homed. (He couldn't take them with him)

They generally all get on well
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 13:50

We had a 5 year old male labrador, who we'd had for about 8 months (rehomed as the owners were moving to London) when we took on a 15 month old female cairn terrier. We met on neutral ground, a local park, and they seemed fine. When Pippin came to stay she marched in, established dominance and that's the way it remained - they were great friends. Our lab was over the moon with his new pal and accepted that he was bottom of the heap.

Viv
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 31-05-2013, 14:29

[quote="Pollydoodle"]Increase in site charges, will have to pay for 2 dogs! can be £3 per dog.

i have never paid for a dog yet?

do they actually count them i wonder.

how can they justify £3 or £4 for a dog i wonder.

ours are never out of the van unless for the toilet.

is it increased wear & tear of the facilities or just downright greed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page