New Import Guide - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 19:12 Thread Starter

New Import Guide

Hello,

I'm in the process of launching my new blog and have written a guide to importing (as I understand it) based on the help you provided me with, my own research and a friend of mine who has done it.

Welcome any comments you can give - either use the form on the About Us page or contact me here via PM or on this thread.

Hopefully it'll be of use to someone!

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 21:18

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
Addie,

I have imported new Hymers from Germany twice and must congratulate you on the comprehensive information that you have formulated which is 'spot on'. Just wish it had been out some years ago which would have saved me from the steep learning curve.

Regards,

Mike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 01:08

My Motorhome: Hymer 654SL Star Edition
Importing

Hi

I have just purchased a used hymer 654 2010 in Germany and brought it back to Scotland. The usual hassle with UK insurance cos not wanting to insure unless it was in the country. This has to be against eu law but thats another story)

I have read some conflicting advice here on headlight conversion for registration/mot purposes.

OK on fog light changeover and speedo

Headlights = can I use beam benders like eurolites lhd to rhd or must I change over. Changeover is very expensive so I would prefer beam bender approach.

Can anyone clarify.

thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 04:59 Thread Starter

Hi Musicbus,

Beam benders are listed in the MOT testers handbook as an acceptable way to modify the headlamps of a LHD van.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-07-2011, 00:19

Hella Headlights

Hi Musicbus,

If the van has the large Hella integrated lamps - no problem.

The lamps are adjustable from lhd to rhd by way of small adjusting levers on the back.

Dont be fooled into paying a fairly large sum of money to have them "converted" - i nearly was - and by a company that has a great reputation in the Hymer world!.

I have attached the relevant illustration - i had mine adjusted pre-mot by Johns Cross.

Happy Travels

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hymer_headlamp_adjustment_late_type_200.jpg (159.1 KB, 2 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-07-2011, 21:52

My Motorhome: Hymer 654SL Star Edition
oh yeah!!

Thanks Addie and Hymie for your advice.

Mine is the classic case of do your research or pay the big bucks. Fortunately thanks to advice received here and confirmed by the best hymer man in the land Peter Hambildon I spent little on getting ready for rego.

If I had listened to that well know brown brand and their hymer offshoot I would have paid up to 1700 squids for a new set of headlights then paid for the reversing light fog light switchover.

Guess what I have two fog lights R & L and the adjustable headlights as shown in Hymies pic. You would think Hymer UK would know this!!! probably did but werent telling.

Totally unimpressed!

What a difference to dealing with Guntram and the team at Hymer HQ in Germany. prompt service - nothings a problem and no need to book for minor jobs.

No one will ever tell me the 10 quid we pay here isnt worth the money.

Onward!!

barry
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:55

have the rules changes this year for importing vans? I am sure I read things somewhere that all was different now... but maybe that was just if outside europe.

another consideration... I am thinking of buying a pretty expensive van in a private sale... but I am very nervous as how the hell am I supposed to know if everything works or not??!

Its a lot of cash to hand over to a private seller where there is no come back.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-08-2012, 16:19

May I add something on importing (I use to be based in Germany for many years and many Brit soldiers did this)

Addie you must something out thats important.

You must notify HMRC within seven calendar days of whichever is the later of:
• when the vehicle arrived in the UK
• when you bought the vehicle

You may have to pay a fine if you don't notify HMRC within seven days.

You must pay the tax within 30 days of the demand for payment (which they will send you after they have worked out the VAT)

Also (though not as important)

You are also required to pay tax on any acessories you buy with the vehicle. (so I would get the dealer to do that seperate so it doesn't show up)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 20:56

We have a personal import Hymer (previous owner brought it in) and the only glitch seems to be that Caravanguard (i'm fairly sure that's the company) won't insure it because it's a personal import.

On headlights I have now set my dipped beams to both point inwards so there's no need to adjust ( a fiddly job) for each trip.

Not got it through an MoT like this yet but I don't think I'll have a problem as nobody is being blinded.

H

Above us only sky
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-11-2012, 18:22

Thanks for all the info chaps, a lot to take in! Looks like I need to do a lot of studying. Oh well, here we go. Must be worth it with the potential savings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page