new rules on insurance for importing - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 23-04-2013, 16:44

Yes, we were told that they will not insure the vehicle when you reach the UK but will insure it once it has been registered, etc when you get back home and so you can't drive it back from the UK port to your door with no insurance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 23-04-2013, 18:16

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
I believe that some insurers will cover the vehicle on the chassis number once the vehicle is back on UK soil, you would need to look through previous posts on the subject, from memory possibly NFU and a couple of others?

Have done it twice on the third party insurance provided with the German plates and taken the risk that it will not be involved in an accident causing damage to my vehicle.

Mike

PS: try Safeguard

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 24-04-2013, 11:30

Spoke to my insurance broker this morning who says that it is becoming more prevalent for insurers to state that they won't insure a vehicle unless it is brought into UK via a dealer. Anyway, he also said try Safeguard and we phoned them this morning. They said that they could insure on the VIN number when we reach UK.

Also, Aviva will not insure a motorhome without a Thatcham Cat.1 alarm & immobiliser and a Thatcham Cat.5 tracker if the vehicle is worth over £75,000. (If under £75,000 it must have the alarm & immobiliser).

But, on speaking with Safeguard they say that a vehicle under £100,000 must have a Cat.1 Alarm & immobiliser OR a tracker fitted. (Under £45,000 it must have the alarm & immobiliser).

We have 30 days to register the vehicle having insured with the VIN number, and we have 14 days in which to get the alarm, etc fitted. (This is with Allianz insurance via Safeguard).

So, all is not lost and we can still go to Germany later in the year for our next motorhome where the service, I am afraid, is so much better than in the UK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page