Certificate of Conformity on German import - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 11:20 Thread Starter

Certificate of Conformity on German import

Hello, I'm new here and excited about starting a new phase of my travelling life!

My wife and I have just bought a brand-new Concorde in Germany. We return to collect it and drive it back to the UK for registration, etc., next week.

The DVLA are sending me the package of forms I must complete but also said I must produce a 'Certificate of Conformity' in order to have it accepted for UK registration. I'm not sure where to get hold of one...does it come with the vehicle documents which will be handed to me by the dealer, or the MH builder or the chassis manufacturer (Iveco)? If anyone can shed any light on this, who have previously imported a new MH from Germany, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for a great forum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 11:42

Hi,

the Certificate of Conformity is issued by the MH builder. Since about 1999 all vehicle builders are legally required to issue them within the EU.

But if you buy the van via a dealer, then just ask him. For him it is no more than a phone call to the builder.

Best regards,
Gerhard

Euramobil Sport 585DS (C-class):
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 12:06

Hi pelicanpete. Congratulations.

It sounds as if we are just a few days infront of you. We imported our first motorhome, a new Hymer, just over a week ago.

The dealer handed to us the CoC together with a mass of other paperwork / manuals, etc.

All that said, when we arrived home, we discovered that there was an error on the CoC. They had it listed as a 3500kg vehicle, where it is in reality a 4000kg. So we are patiently waiting for the ammended CoC to arrive by post. It seems that we can't register it until then.

The document is in German, so I suggest you sit 5 minutes with the dealer and ask him to go through it with you.

Best wishes.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 13:35

importing

Hi Barrytward,

Sorry to hi jack the thread , but we to are very interested in importing a Hymer "van522" . Just out of interest did you specify RHD or LhD, just wondered if the German dealer , would have a problem ordereing RHD, if it was deemed to be conflicting with UK hymer dealerships.

Would be most interested in your experince and name of dealer

Regards
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 15:17

Hi Dinger.

We were after a LHD so didn't ask.

Earlier, when we were looking around, we did speak with Hymer UK, and they said they could order both RHD and LHD, both for the same money!!

Apparently the Hymer dealership system (UK and rest of Europe) allows them to see what is available or on the production line and 'snap it up'. Even after discount Hymer UK were £15k more than we ended up paying in Germany.

Suggest you contact Julien, who is the English speaking new/Hymer rep at Palmowski, Bielefeld, Germany. Very helpful. He made it clear that Palmowski want as much UK trade they can get, even to the extent that during our negotiations, he said that they would beat any written quote (for the same spec van) from another dealer.

Phone. +49 (0)521 323 536
email info@palmo.de
website www.palmo.de

Good luck
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 15:18 Thread Starter

Thanks barrytward and boff for your encouraging and helpful replies.

I will certainly sit down with the dealer and check for the correct weight on the CoC.

Hopefully, all will go smoothly. :P
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 15:44

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
You don't require a CofC for a motorhome, they are exempt. Simply cross out the sections on the registration documentation which deal with the CofC.

See HERE for details.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 15:44

importing

Blimmey that is a substantial saving Barrytward !
This would appear to be the same situation as the car industry was in a few years ago when people were dabbling in the "unknown"

The thing that amazes me is when you confront the Hymer agent in the uk namely B****H**** the service is simply take it or leave it
The"Hyma van 522" that interest us was up at £38k in the uk
brand new , where on Mobile .De there were several nearly new/ 6 months old, LHD up for 32/34,000 euros ( £23,000)

How did you decide which German dealer to go with ? was it a personal recommendation ?

Regards

Dinger
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 23-10-2007, 18:55

Both Palmowski and Durrwang-Morlein (Hymer, Dortmund) are large Hymer dealers, both mentioned previously in these forums.

We spent two trips this summer looking at what was on the market and visited both (and others). Palmowski had the right vehicle at the right price.

Gaspode..... Thanks. You must be saying "Here we go again" as I have read that before on this site. As it is my first time I am taking the easy route. As the CoC hadn't arrived today I phoned the DVLA and the person on the other end was clearly going through a checklist. They insisted that I did need the document. For the time being I am going with the flow. Thanks again though.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 25-02-2008, 16:42

Hi all,

We ordered a new Hymer from Palmowski in September and picked up our motorhome in October.

They are friendly and nice to talk to when you get them on the phone. We were dealing with Julien as well, and he's an intelligent and knowledgable chap.

For us it's been a bit of a rocky road so far, but I am not gonna judge them before we have had the van a bit longer.

For us the main problem has been time and getting in contact with people. I suggest that whoever is thinking about importing from Palmowski does his homework regarding what you want, and how you want this done? Also be prepared to follow up on every item to make sure it's processed fast. When it comes to paperwork etc. I suggest you make your own research about how it's done, and make sure they do it that way. Even double check that they do what they have said they will do.

Make sure you know what is included in the van. Make sure all included items and extras, and promised documents are included with the van when you pick it up. Extra important when importing as "things take time"...

You will quickly see who calls you back when promising so, and who don't. Remind them quickly when calls are not returned. Firing off an email after every conversation will keep a sort of written record of promises... sometimes wished I've done this.

I guess most of these advices are true for everyone importing motorhomes.

Happy importing!
Oyvind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page