Certificate of Conformity on German import - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 18-04-2008, 19:48
MHH

Hi Gaspode,

Yes, the import pack was helpful and also your suggestion to have the DVLA staff complete the forms. They did it in under 10 minutes.

Am very happy with the Dethleffs Sunlight and once we have the Gaslow fitted along with the scooter in the garage next week, will be off for 5 months learning all the other fun bits and pieces that we have not yet had time to research!

Thanks again for all your other tips that I've stumbled across in various other forums. That goes for everyone else providing valuable information/experience in these forums.

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 18-04-2008, 20:00 Thread Starter

I dealt with the Portsmouth DVLA office when I imported my new MH in November '07. Very efficient, painless process and had all the paperwork back within 24 hours. They did not ask to inspect the vehicle. Perhaps, being nearly 30ft long, they figured it wouldn't fit into their small car park!

I have a kmh only speedo. I believe, as Gaspode has alluded to there is a lot of misinformation on this and other forums - and, despite what some forumites say, vehicles will not fail an MOT if they have only a kmh speedo. Why? the speedo is not included as a tested item as part of the MOT. It's not even mentioned - ergo they can't fail it! See here http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html#testdetails

Whether there are other issues under the construction and use 'legislation' I don't know. Certainly, when I disclosed the kmh only speedo to my insurer, he said he had no problem with it and that it would not be a point of contention in a claim.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 00:22

Speedo don't come into the MOT test, when entering details on VOSA computer you have the option to select KM or Miles.

What I don't understand is that Hymer issue COC and the rear fog lamps are on the wrong side, last year at the Bath and west show I counted at least 12 Hymers all British registered and LHD all with rear fog lamps on the wrong side, makes the certificate a piece of toilet paper don't it ! !

Loddy

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 10:12

Hi
I imported a new Burstnet to Spain last year but the CoC Ihad with the van was not pan European it was a German CoC which the Spanish will no longer accept so had to pay 1700 euros for Spanish Homocalisation thats on top of the 12% import duty which I thought was not needed in the EU but Spain seems to make up it's own rules.

Colin Frier
Nicolson and Nicolson like this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:34

I noticed a request for information on the requirement or otherwise of a Certificate of Conformity for registering a Motorhome in France. My circumstance is identical to the enquirer. I bought the vehicle in Germany (2002 Chausson 50), the dealer is now insolvent and I need to register it in France.
It has a current DEKRA certification (same as MOT as I understand) valid until February 2009.
Do I require this certificate please. I will be DELIGHTED if I do not!!

I am 12,000 miles away in Australia so this is not an easy task. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you are able to email direct that would be great.

[email protected]
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-11-2008, 15:18

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Certificate of Conformity.

Hello Geoff,
I am at present in the throes of endeavoring to register my 2000 Hobby 750 manufactured in Germany but registered in UK into France.

I am now three months into the process and have amassed great wads of documents at great expense as they have to be in French to satisfy the DRIRE (Ministry of Transport) requirements.
First you must ask your local DRIRE for the importation dossier and they provide the latest list of requirements.
After getting a French Heavy Goods MOT (Controle Technique) due to my tag axle Hobby being 4,500 kg. gross. 80 plus 200 for LHD headlights
I had to weigh each axle and attach the weighbridge receipt to their form.
A Certificate of Conformity had to be obtained from Hobby France at 230.
A Veritas inspection of the gas and electrical installations certificate at 227. plus minor modifications.
A specification of the base vehicle and the completed conversion in French.
A specification of the weights full, empty and wet. Capacities of all tanks.
The original UK registration Certificate.
The current UK MOT.
The purchase receipt.

I then presented myself at my local DRIRE office 60 miles away in Caen only to be told a new and later list of requirements had been created since they sent the last one.

I now have to get a chassis/engine Certificate of Conformity from Fiat France 130.
Complete several new forms relating to seats and storage compartments.

I live in hopes and will persevere to the bitter end. As another friend with a Peugeot UK registered motorhome took two years to get his finally passed and matriculated.

If I can help please let me know but I am in the early stages of this steep learning curve.

I did try and register a US Chrysler Voyager in France about 5 years ago and even though it was the identical vehicle manufactured in Austria for the European Market (less a few little 'e' marks) I gave up after 18 months and sold in UK.

Ray.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-11-2008, 17:13

Importing into EU from UK

Ciao Ray,
your French list looks almost as long as the Italian list of requirements.
I'm in a similar process/mess. A Chausson first sold/registered in France, then imported into UK, registered in UK (but as others have said, with full Continental spec re speedo/fog lights), now need to register in Italy.
Given cost/hassle/beaurocracy, will keep UK reg. as long as I can continue to commute. Chausson Italy however would provide the dreaded CoC free of charge. I have a Fiat France one, but evidently not good enough.
Before you knock UK regulations/perceived beaurocracy, think folks, think.
saluti,
eddied
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-11-2008, 17:28

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Importing

Hello Eddied,
Yep, it's a full time job. Just got off the phone from Fiat France who are trying to tell me the DRIRE are wrong....???
The DRIRE make the rules and don't bend for anyone let alone a foreigner.

But they are willing to snd me a C of C for the engine..?? Hope this helps but at what cost.

I would have been happy to have another American RV here and just pop back to UK for the sorta 18 month ish MOT. But what with Brittany Ferries screwing as much blood outa me for the crossing and then it would have to be 'taxed' when in UK as well as I now have a French HGV license, It's illegal for a French resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle for more than 6 months I am told.

So I guess I am between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

My other problem is the insurance. I initially applied and paid for French insurance as it was going to be on French plates soooon.
One month later my French insurance company asked if I had a new French registration. When I said no and it was likely to take another two years they just said your insurance is cancelled.
I countered and axplianed the hoops and hurdles I was having to deal with in French beaurocracy. They said OK but could I keep them informed as to my progress and advised of every trip.
I have now visited the insurance agent 12 times and their dossier is as large as mine.

Fun.... ???

Ray.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-11-2008, 17:40

The certificate of conformity issued by German and other manufactures are not pan european and few if any are it costs some 1/2 million euros to obtain one.
Spain for one will not accept other than pan european so you have to go down the Homocalisation route approx 1700 euros even a converted panel van which would have pan european CoC is not acceptable because it has been altered and not fully tested in its altered state.
All this is a load of *****cks burocracy gone mad so much for EU harmonisation.
Colin Frier
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-11-2008, 17:52

EU Harmonisation.

Ciao Colin, harmonisation? That's what keeps the European Court of Justice and Strasbourg lawyers in business!
If you've five years and a lot of cah to spare you could go down that route.
saluti,
eddied

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page