Registering LHD in the UK - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 29-02-2020, 20:48

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I also masked my LHD lights for MOT in UK with no problem.
yarmouth likes this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:18

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I think you will find that the rules changed a few years ago now and in order to permanently import & register a vehicle in the U.K., that was originally registered in another country, it has to undergo a “Single Vehicle Type Approval” test. These tests are carried out at DVSA test centres (not an MOT station) and are VERY stringent (an expensive! That’s why if you buy a Japanese grey import from an importer there is an additional charge to cover this test AND the necessary components to make them 100% legal.
The Con & Use Regs clearly define what is required of vehicles in the U.K. and one of those is most certainly headlights that dip to the left (stickers on the headlights don’t alter the dip pattern, they merely mask some of it off. I am likewise pretty certain that any vehicle with LHD dip headlights, fitted with masks, should NOT pass an MOT test for a U.K. registered vehicle. I am aware many MOT centres do issue them, but shouldn’t!

Now whether anyone will be prosecuted for wrong dip headlights is another matter BUT should such a vehicle be involved in a serious collision, and an allegation be made that incorrect headlights caused dazzle and that contributed to the collision the driver could find themselves in deep do-do.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

Me? For the minimal percentage cost involved (compared to the cost of the vehicle) I would rather ensure EVERYTHING was as it should be as far as C&U regs are concerned JUST in case, having been involved with road traffic law for years I would say that wouldn’t I?

Some vehicles now have “flat” dipped beam patterns so this issue doesn’t effect them.

Andy
raynipper likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 01-03-2020 at 08:22.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 17:37

My Motorhome: Hymer E650
Andy

The mask for want of a better word, stops the portion of light that would cause the dazzle. 11 MOT'S and counting.

My car RHD has in its computer a setting that adjusts the lights when I use it abroad, it in effect masks them as you can see a reduction in overall brightness

When cars come to the UK they should have lens adjusters to stop the beam dipping wrongly same as a mask.

Obviously as I use my motorhome 95% of the time driving on the right I chose not to change my lights as that would mean that I would have, shall we say a less than effective light pattern to the majority of the locals. There is always trade off when you alter the set up.

How much you lose I do not know, but,if you could easily switch, and cheaply,to a LHD set up on your vehicle ,would you? You would have the same as the locals.

Ian

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 17:54

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer View Post
Andy

The mask for want of a better word, stops the portion of light that would cause the dazzle. 11 MOT'S and counting.

My car RHD has in its computer a setting that adjusts the lights when I use it abroad, it in effect masks them as you can see a reduction in overall brightness

When cars come to the UK they should have lens adjusters to stop the beam dipping wrongly same as a mask.

Obviously as I use my motorhome 95% of the time driving on the right I chose not to change my lights as that would mean that I would have, shall we say a less than effective light pattern to the majority of the locals. There is always trade off when you alter the set up.

How much you lose I do not know, but,if you could easily switch, and cheaply,to a LHD set up on your vehicle ,would you? You would have the same as the locals.

Ian
Carry on as you see fit, I have merely pointed out what the regulations say.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 18:59

My Motorhome: I drive...
The MOT station that I used put black electrical tape over my lens, that was 2 years ago and I have never had a problem about it. Rear fog light is a must.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page