Damaged Dutch Hymer 640 worth it? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:03

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Just a thought Tamar.
I have often seen hail damaged motorhomes being sold off very cheaply in Germany. Usually on the German e-bay.
OK hail damage is unsightly but does nothing to detract from the functionality of the van.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:54 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Not yet
Missed a few reply's - there's no email notification setting - ah, there is if you go Advanced rather than Instant Reply.

No, not bothered with that damaged 640 as it would only work if it would pass MOT and I needed to know if it would beforehand (if the damage was cosmetic, bolt on - and even the parts available). Being about £15k, by the time you've repaired and UK reg'd it, for the high-ish mileage possibly borderline worth it. Not sure if it even has cab air con (anyone know where the button is on the dash?). Only a 2.2 litre and a biggish van (according to my research). It does look nice inside though. Also I cant see a dealer being willing to hold on to it (even if I paid) for a few months.

Tax and insurance is pretty easy for foreigners in the UK (unlike France). Just need to sign up to this (£30 per year).

http://www.payasyougopost.com/

I'm finding getting people to answer a query from here the biggest problem. They must presume I'm either a conman, or not serious. I either fly over now, buy, then come back, then back over in April - or just come over in April to a reduced and more expensive market. I have to be here in March for some chemo.

Last edited by wfdTamar; 07-01-2019 at 05:18.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:47

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 Thread Starter

Scheize (Jan, spelling?) Ok, scratch them, this one is more expensive, but good reviews (unless they're doing the ol' 'write a good review, get a few months free' malarkey):

https://www.ukpostbox.com/address/uk-mailing-address
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:33

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I'd avoid them all unless you can afford it if it all goes tits up.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:49 Thread Starter

Avoid what Kev? That 640 has been dropped Ä1000. Can anyone tell if it has cab air con? I'm not sure with Merc's if it's button like the Fiat or something else.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...8-2432239352ac
raynipper likes this.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 19:32

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Would you NEED to get the van fixed Tamar?

I reckon the backend needs a bit of work to make the rear lights legal and to stop the whole thing falling off!

But I drove with my rear end held together with duct tape (well, the MH's rear end!) for quite some time. People tend to steer clear of you - which is no bad thing!

Maybe less likely to take a big hit in reselling if you don't fork out to repair? I've forgotten how long you were intending keeping it.

Obviously you'd need to check if it's driveable; if any of the damage has compromised anything else.

Jean
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 19:47

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well our last van was the Hymer

Same layout , drop down bed

The drop down bed became to much to climb onto ,the lack of ventilation in the bed at night became to much

The mileage was ridiculously low , 25,000

We sold it in perfect condition

ridiculously low

But it no longer suited us

Iíd never be brave enough to by a vehicle

I think you are wise to forget it with that damage

Sandra
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 21:08 Thread Starter

Amazingly, the sellers have answered (most ignore me being in Australia, though they might think Iím in the UK). It doesnít have any air con, which I think excludes it for me. They reckon all the damage is only plastic parts and it drives good. If it had air con and the mileage was lower I might. Jean, yes, if any of the plastics are not too bad, could just reuse them. However a neat one of that model with reasonable mileage can still be a good price so might be worth fixing even if pricey.

Sandra, youíre the first person thatís said that about that type of bed. I had wondered if it got hot and stuffy. Since Iíll be using it in summer, that was a concern. Everyone else says itís fine. I had thought for hot nights I could sleep on the couch. Also put a vent above the drop down bed.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 22:44

My Motorhome: Challenger Vany 417
Word of warning. Although the original OP vehicle was being sold in NL it has German registration?
Could that complicate things? Also having lived in Germany for 3 decades check if any van you are thinking of buying has been owned by smokers before you even think about travelling to look at it. Germany is 20th in the world for % of people who smoke, UK comes on at about 80th so enough said. Having said all this, all five of the motorhomes I have had have been German secondhands, just have to be careful.

Last edited by rael; 17-01-2019 at 22:54.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page