Anyone imported a LHD recently? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 10:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Challenger Vany 417
Anyone imported a LHD recently?

Hello all
Its been a couple of years (2) since I last imported a motorhome from Germany. I'm going to pick up a used Challenger Vany 114 soon so will be jumping all the usual hurdles, insurance (sorted I think), mutual recognition, headlights, registration etc. I was wondering if anyone has imported a LHD in the last few months and if there are any new hurdles to jump?

Ive noticed that on the new V55/5 there are now fields to complete ref. WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure, Phew!!) Also in terms of taxation a lot will depend on if the emission figures are on the Certificate of Conformity, or not. The van was first registered in Germany March this year, and has done plenty of KM so should be no issues with import tax.

Export plates are being sorted by the dealer along with the usual third party insurance. Ive had a quote from Adrian Flux for insurance on a VIN from point of entry to UK, but could do with a few other quotes, any ideas? Not had a lot of luck in that area.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 10:54

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rael View Post
Hello all

Also in terms of taxation a lot will depend on if the emission figures are on the Certificate of Conformity, or not. The van was first registered in Germany March this year, and has done plenty of KM so should be no issues with import tax.

Cheers
If 3500kg or less plus co2 on CofC plus nominal price more than £40,000 it would fall into the new scheme. if not then it would not and presumably be put into PLG class. If over 3500kg than it would be PHGV.
https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2017/...-are-affected/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 13:54 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Don't know if the emissions are on the CoC yet as the dealers bank has the docs at the moment. The £40,000 threshold is an interesting one! 'List' price for my van is Euro 41,000 although Im paying considerably less. Just got of the phone with DVLA and they wont accept proof of the list price in Euros. They said I have to get a letter from the dealer or supplier that gives the price in Sterling! Thats going to be an interesting one to explain to the dealer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 14:12

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
My last one was from the USA into UK in 2000 with no problems but other than that I have only imported a Duccato based Hobby from UK to France in 2008 with no problems. Just long winded.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 14:16

Personal Aire
Quote:
Thanks for that. Don't know if the emissions are on the CoC yet as the dealers bank has the docs at the moment. The £40,000 threshold is an interesting one! 'List' price for my van is Euro 41,000 although Im paying considerably less. Just got of the phone with DVLA and they wont accept proof of the list price in Euros. They said I have to get a letter from the dealer or supplier that gives the price in Sterling! Thats going to be an interesting one to explain to the dealer.
Is there such a thing as a list price for a used vehicle? Beware of simplistic answers from DVLA help desks, they are often incorrect.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 15:37

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
The 40000 pound threshold is from new and even you pay less for a secondhand van you still pay the extra tax till its 6 years old
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-11-2018, 17:03

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbaoman View Post
The 40000 pound threshold is from new and even you pay less for a secondhand van you still pay the extra tax till its 6 years old
But of course only if it was placed in the Graduated Emission Group at original UK registration. If it was placed in PLG it will remain in it {does not apply to over 3500kg in any event}.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 17:50 Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. Seems to be dependent on who you speak to at DVLA. I'm well under the £40,000 threshold (would be way over if I bought in UK), however....... In order to satisfy DVLA for M1 type approved vehicles you need to provide the list/notional price, in £s the day before the date of initial registration. Mine is M1 and I suspect all motorhomes will be from now on. Mine was first reg 30th April 2018. As per my earlier comment you also need evidence of the price. I'm getting the dealer to put this on the bill/Auftrag, but it has to be in Sterling as DVLA don't seem to be able to do currency conversions from Euro.... No wonder the Europeans think were all a bit weird.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:17

Personal Aire
Quote:
In order to satisfy DVLA for M1 type approved vehicles you need to provide the list/notional price, in £s the day before the date of initial registration. Mine is M1 and I suspect all motorhomes will be from now on.
Motorhome are M1 SA. Vehicle categories come from EU directive 2007/46/EC.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 17:34 Thread Starter

Just a quick update. Got the Challenger back without any glitches and received my UK registration number/documents Friday last week. The whole process took longer than expected due to being let down by one garage ref. changing the lights from LHD to RHD. Got it sorted at another garage but that delay had a knock on effect. VCA were slower than usual, and that combined with the Christmas period meant it took over a month from import to final registration.
One thing that did crop up was finding RHD lights with LED daytime running lights. The van came with LHD LED DLRs built into the headlights, but we struggled to find compatible RHD ones. The garage found a workaround and we have DLRs that are actually the sidelights.
New MOT legislation states that all vehicles first used from 1st March 2018 must have DLRs and they are tested. Granted, it will be nearly three years before I need to get an MOT, but it seemed sensible to sort it out now. This is not of concern to UK purchased vans, but anyone importing needs to be aware of this.
In terms of insurance, Flux were fine, I just kept them updated as I knew we were not going to get everything sorted within 30 days.
Very, very happy with the van!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in