Obtaining a Certificate of Conformity - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-09-2016, 22:37

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I thought all modern vehicles had a CoC printed in the hand book.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 07:18

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I thought all modern vehicles had a CoC printed in the hand book.

Ray.
I think that would be mass produced cars Ray, but again you don't always get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
raynipper (20-09-2016)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 10:13

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
John and Dave

If the Certificate is issued by the companies without there being a regulator's check that the vehicle conforms with the standards set, then it is self-regulation and we all know that can lead eventually to companies lowering standards. I would therefore suggest that it cannot be a guarantee of conformity; a bit like a vehicle owner conducting and issuing his own MOT. It would not be worth the paper it is written on.

When a new manufacturer starts up, or an existing manufacturer produces a new model, is there really no check by the authority writing the standards that those standards have been met? If there is a check are the records not available?

Geoff

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 11:23

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Geoff, I'd not wish to challenge any of your views.

From an individuals point of view that has gone down the road of re- registering a vehicle in a country other than its original country of registration.
I found the first one very frustrating not fully knowing what was required.
Subsequent ones were easier because I knew what was required, however I certainly wouldn't want to increase the difficulty by trying to go down another route for obtaining the required documents than the recommended one.

Maybe me doing it in France where they love a dossier and to complete the process EVERY thing has to be as specified would deter me from trying any other way.

raynipper and raynipper like this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (20-09-2016)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 12:07

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
A little story on the above.
The certificate of Conformity is a single A4 sheet with the relevant information on; any that are presented have to be originals.

When going through the process for a 2001 Euramobil 810 which is before the converter could issue their own single document, I had to get three separate certificates, one from Fiat, one from Euramobil and one from Alko, the three certificates along with the relevant French immatriculation documents had to be presented along with the vehicle at a designated centre, this was to allow the authorities to check that the vehicle actually conformed to the paperwork supplied.
The inspector went through the paperwork checking dimensions and specification, even down to ensuring the mirrors, lamp lenses etc. were EU marked, after the very thorough check we went to the office, where he cheerily informed me that the vehicle was OK but he could not accept the Alko certificate, the reason for this was because in his opinion it was a copy and not an original.
The format for the certificate is strange in as much as it is a black and white document with a wide red band diagonally across it, looking to the layman for all the world as though it had been cancelled, the one issued to me by Alko was all black and white with the band in black. I contacted Alko explained my problem and they supplied one with a red band by return,bureaucracy at it best.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (20-09-2016)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 16:03

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
The converters have to enter a wealth of details onto a European web site, presumably this somewhere in the dim and distant past or even the recent past, has the opportunity for it to be challenged as Eurajohn said by it being checked at an official testing station (our nearest one is 1 hours drive away), we contacted them as we were having trouble getting through the Sous-Prefecture in Bergerac.......

Agen said they would do a whole vehicle check but they would then pick up which screw was in the wrong place and of course, that our previously UK registered vehicle has UK style electrical sockets, which of course, would be non-compliant in France..... they said that the fault lay with Bergerac, or perhaps with Paris or perhaps with Swift who may have failed to enter the relevant details for that model for that year.....

Back to Swift and it was admitted that it was their fault - they corrected it in the European register (I have those details somewhere with the relevant number to prove it exists) and Paris conformed it was there.....

Paris then went on to explain "in simple terms" to bergerac what they had to do (or else......) and were very insistent that Bergerac did it, while the official on Paris was on the phone so that the appropriate French immatriculation would be issued, and once again the "or else" comment was used....... Bergerac were told to only charge half the fee as it wa the fault of Bergerac that they had failed to find it.....

of course they had failed to find it, Swift had failed to enter it.....

but the system worked (eventually), I wonder what will happen after an exit from the EU?

I am much less certain that a CoC will be issued then as the whole system will have to be separated.......

and of course exactly the same will happen trying to bring a "foreign" vehicle into the UK for registration, there will be much more checking to be done (at the owner's expense of course).........

at present it is speedo, head lights, reversing lights, high intensity rear lights but after a change I wonder what else it will include?

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (20-09-2016)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 09:50 Thread Starter

Just to bring this thread up to date from my point of view, in case my experience may be of interest or use to anyone in the future:

As mentioned before, Dethleffs Germany sent me a duplicate Certificate of Conformity, which together with an MOT (done just on the VIN) and statement from the MOT garage about the headlights, speedo and fog light being converted for UK road use, was sent off to the Vehicle Certification Agency in Bristol to be recognised as an appropriate vehicle for UK registration. They were a bit picky about the garage statement being on the correct "letterhead" or "invoice" paper, but otherwise turned it round almost by return of post - for their £100 fee...

So all the paperwork was then ready to fill in the DVLA registration forms (sent with the £55 fee and £235 VED) and again (to give a .gov agency credit where it's due) it took only a week for the V5C to come back to me, with the registration number for me to get some plates made up.

In total the whole process has taken me about 5 weeks - from collecting the van in France, to being UK registered.

So now I'm all legal and on the road - ready for our first trip away in the new van next week. Happy days!

Thanks for the help and ideas everyone.
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.

Keith

Dethleffs Summer Edition 08
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 10:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Glad to hear that it has all worked, threads such as these do help others facing the same problems and demands.

Just as an aside, and it may be irrelevant, was your vehicle registered with the current registration registration code for this part of this year? Or did you get one for an "08" vehicle? Or did you end up with a "Q" style registration (my son has one of those for his kit car)? I believed that the registration issued cannot make the vehicle appear younger than it actually is - hence my question.

Enjoy your new UK registered vehicle.

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 13-10-2016 at 10:37.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-10-2016, 13:34 Thread Starter

Reg plate year code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Glad to hear that it has all worked, threads such as these do help others facing the same problems and demands.

Just as an aside, and it may be irrelevant, was your vehicle registered with the current registration registration code for this part of this year? Or did you get one for an "08" vehicle? Or did you end up with a "Q" style registration (my son has one of those for his kit car)? I believed that the registration issued cannot make the vehicle appear younger than it actually is - hence my question.

Enjoy your new UK registered vehicle.

Dave

The van got a "57" plate - presumably as that is the year it was manufactured. It's a bit of a shame it didn't get an "08" as that was the year of first registration in France, evidenced by the Carte Grise - the French log-book/V5C equivalent, which you have to send to DVLA and you don't get it back. From my interpretation of the paperwork, a "Q" plate is only allocated if the age of the vehicle cannot be reliably determined - eg a kit car from various used components or a used import that does not have its original registration documents etc.

Keith

Dethleffs Summer Edition 08
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbriankeith For This Useful Post:
Penquin (13-10-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page