Headlight conversion/ replacement - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 17:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Headlight conversion/ replacement

Hello,

I've just imported a 2006 Hymer B614 LHD from France and am struggling a bit with what I need to do with the headlights to get a UK MOT.

It has the Twin Hella 90mm Headlights.

Looking at the four front lights on each side head lights I seem to have the following:-

Top Row
Outer light: Dipped Beam - Single Bulb with rotational adjustment by removing the casing top screw and loosening side screws and twisting unit.
Inner light: Main Beam and Side Light - I can't see any adjustment

Bottom Row
Indicator
Fog light - that comes on and seems to steer.

I'm thinking to get an MOT pass I can adjust the Outer Dipped Beam lights as described - I think I'll need a trained monkey though......

Can I adjust the Inner Main Beam and Side light or do I need to replace this unit with a RHD version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 18:11

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
AFAIK it is ONLY the dipped beams that need to be replaced and on many vehicles replacement is the only option as the lights differ from right hand dip (LHD) and left hand dip (RHD).

You MAY get away with fitting fresnel type supplementary lenses to the dipped beam lights - other have said they have done this and it has been acceptable for MoT.... but I believe that the MoT rules preclude against this......

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 18:30

I have a Hymer, but the newer single light.
I am sure yours can be adjusted, and as Dave has said, it is just the dip beam you need to change, and the fog light at the back.
I have read, there are three screws at the back of the dip beam, I understand the top one needs to be removed, and the other two loosened, then you can swivel it around.
Search on here, you will probably need to join, but well worth it!
I am sure someone with your particular lights will be along soon, with more exact information!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 19:28

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Don't forget to covert the rear fog Lights!!

The requirement is for at least one and is located on, or to the offside of, the vehicles centre line.

AND the speedo must show MPH (it CAN) also show KPH.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 19:44

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
If you have the Hella projectors (as you seem to have) all you need to do is twist the dip beams around and it's then UK spec.
Not a technically difficult job to do but very tight access and you'll nearly always damage the heads on the screws trying to remove them. I replaced the pozidrive head screws with some hexagon heads, much easier to loosen and tighten again.
BillCreer and BillCreer like this.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Don't forget to covert the rear fog Lights!!

The requirement is for at least one and is located on, or to the offside of, the vehicles centre line.

AND the speedo must show MPH (it CAN) also show KPH.

Andy
Plody, U need specs, I did say that
Let u off as you are a caravaner but still a friend
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 20:14

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
You can swivel the 120mm dipped units for R or L and they look very similar to the 90mm but access is the problem on mine. I bought a 120mm to replace a cracked one a few months ago and the only way I can see to replace it is to drop the front bumper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HYMER-MA...item35f34eb2c0

Cheers
Bill
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 21:34

My Motorhome: Hymer B644GL
Hi

As has been said; you just need to rotate the existing light for RHD, the others are fine, and add/move the fog light.

I think Andy is mistaken saying that the speedo must show MPH for the MOT, i don't believe it does and the website below showing the MOT manual (with permission of the vehicle inspectorate) doesn't state or imply that it does. i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way. < uk mot link >

if you are importing it yourself i understand you will need an SVA test in order to get a registration and that will require a speedo showing MPH.

hope this helps
Lee
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbzone View Post
Hi

As has been said; you just need to rotate the existing light for RHD, the others are fine, and add/move the fog light.

I think Andy is mistaken saying that the speedo must show MPH for the MOT, i don't believe it does and the website below showing the MOT manual (with permission of the vehicle inspectorate) doesn't state or imply that it does. i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way. < uk mot link >

if you are importing it yourself i understand you will need an SVA test in order to get a registration and that will require a speedo showing MPH.

hope this helps
Lee
Last October, I purchased a LHD Hymer, with the speedo in KPH. I queried this with two MOT stations, after the previous owner had got a new MOT, and they both told me it was OK and NOT an MOT failure. Bearing in mind it had just passed an MOT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 22:15

My Motorhome: 2007 Hymer B654
If you have just imported the van from France then you should find that the main beams dip down and as such, should pass the MOT. Check out with your MOT testing station on this. UK vehicles dip to the verge which would be onto on-coming side on the Continent - hence the need for beam benders to correct this.

DavidL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page