Headlight conversion/ replacement - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-03-2016, 23:59

My Motorhome: Motorhomeless
Hymer lights dip down without without 'bending' the beams to the nearside so no problem there.
As for The three screws at the back of the individual lights . . .they are a right b*gger to get at, rather than removing the bumper, I cut an access hole with a removable panel in the underside of the front wheel arch, it made getting to those pesky screws a lot easier (mind you it would have been easier still if I had baby size hands as there's not much space where the lights are.
On my 1997 Hymer, the two low down lights didn't bend to follow the steering to the left or right . . I just used them as daylight running lights.

The people shouldn't be fearful of the government,
The government should be fearful of the people
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdicdoc For This Useful Post:
BillCreer (31-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 00:06

My Motorhome: Hymer B644GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grath View Post
Last October, I purchased a LHD Hymer, with the speedo in KPH. I queried this with two MOT stations, after the previous owner had got a new MOT, and they both told me it was OK and NOT an MOT failure. Bearing in mind it had just passed an MOT
Hi Grath
same here, both my hymers have been LHD with only KPH displayed on the speedo and neither ever failed an MOT, not for that at least.
113016 and 113016 like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 11:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks all for your help.

Reckon the wheel arch access hole is a great idea. Will put some 4" inspection hatches to seal things back up

Cheers

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 17:18

My Motorhome: Hymer B644GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbzone View Post
i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way.
spoke with him this afternoon, he states that for a class 4 MOT (which a motorhome falls under) it is irrelevant what unit of measurement is used, it could be yards per year if you wanted. you must also note the odometer reading but again the unit of measurement used is irrelevant. he also stated that to mark a failure on the computer you must select the reason why and lack of MPH isn't an option, so you couldn't fail for that even if you wanted to.

Lee
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 17:43

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
In case anyone is reading this thread who doesn't have adjustable headlights, my LHD MH has passed its MOT on several occasions with sticky tape to mask the kick-up.

HTH
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 18:14

My Motorhome: Hymer B524
I am intending to import a Hymer from Germany soon and from my research it isn't the MOT that's the problem but the re-registration in the UK. The DVLA insist on the following:-
Even if existing headlights dip down they must be changed or adjusted to dip to the left.

The speedo must show mph clearly both in the day and at night.

A fog light must be positioned on the rear offside,

These 3 conditions have to be met by the alterations being confirmed in writing by a qualified garage. The DVLA will not accept just photos of the completed work.
gaspode and gaspode like this.

Last edited by britcoms; 31-03-2016 at 18:15. Reason: spelling mistake
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 18:59

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcoms View Post
I am intending to import a Hymer from Germany soon and from my research it isn't the MOT that's the problem but the re-registration in the UK. The DVLA insist on the following:-
Even if existing headlights dip down they must be changed or adjusted to dip to the left.

These 3 conditions have to be met by the alterations being confirmed in writing by a qualified garage. The DVLA will not accept just photos of the completed work.
Correct; for a new vehicle you first need an IVA certificate from the VCA in Bristol, to send to DVLA when you apply to register it.
The VCA seem to have tightened up in recent years and now insist on written evidence from an MOT-registered garage that the work has been done to ensure Conformance to UK rules, ie headlights, speedo and rear foglights.

I've no personal experience for a used vehicle but would expect the same process and rules to apply.

If you ring the VCA they are helpful and will send you the relevant forms and guidance notes.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicle-im...-importing.asp

britcoms, I imported a new Carado (Hymer) early last year, if you need any firsthand info you are welcome to drop me a PM...

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Last edited by mgdavid; 31-03-2016 at 19:02.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-03-2016, 21:42

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcoms View Post

Spot on correct britcoms.

PS: Contrary to popular myth the vast majority of LHD vehicles have headlights that dip to the right, not straight down.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page