Importing 2011 Hymer from Germany - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-03-2015, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
For GB I refer you to the Application Form which is downloaded from here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ecognition--17
It is very clear about headlights.
I agree.....once upon a time yes it was acceptable but now with the VCA checks system no way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-03-2015, 22:58

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Originally Posted by JWW View Post
Tape was acceptable in Northern Ireland this year and generally I think they're more stringent than across the water.

I should have made clear I was talking about the MOT rather than the import mutual recognition thing.
mgdavid and mgdavid like this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-03-2015, 11:34

My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 22
I can categorically say, as I have read the guidance notes on the MOT tester's screen and asked his (Ford Commercial main dealer) interpretation of the rules concerning headlamps, that the headlamps do not have to point left on dip beam. For test purposes the headlamps must not dazzle oncoming traffic when dipped, but must show enough light to enable the driver to drive safely in the dark, therefore a device which blocks the 'dazzle' part of the beam is sufficient to pass the test but mustn't be too large as to reduce the beam's ability to light the road ahead. His understanding is that beam benders would probably not work sufficiently well as they are not precise enough to bend accurately. Therefore he would accept durable, correctly placed blocking material to comply with the rules (which are the same for VCA compliance and MOT).
I have an imported LHD Ford Transit and it has recently passed the VCA compliance test on this basis. As I drive mainly on the Continent it seemed a bit of a pointless exercise to change the headlamps completely.

Last edited by Poulbot; 21-03-2015 at 11:37.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-03-2015, 15:53

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Did you have to change the speedo Poulbot?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-03-2015, 20:43

Yes, I haven't found a way of getting over that hurdle. Some people have said what about a dashboard mounted satnav which shows MPH, but as far as I know this is not acceptable for a number of reasons. Depending on your vehicle the dashboard can be a bit of a nightmare to take out, but the dials are readily available for most common models of cab. The rear lights need to be set up so that the red rear foglamp is on the offside (RH) of the vehicle. On my motorhome (each light is a seperate lamp) I could manage to switch the foglamp position with the reversing light and just extend the wiring a little. If your rear lamps are in a single cluster, then you will either need to change the cluster or fit a single red foglamp.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-03-2015, 21:15

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulbot View Post
I can categorically say, as I have read the guidance notes on the MOT tester's screen and asked his (Ford Commercial main dealer) interpretation of the rules concerning headlamps, that the headlamps do not have to point left on dip beam. For test purposes the headlamps must not dazzle oncoming traffic when dipped, but must show enough light to enable the driver to drive safely in the dark, therefore a device which blocks the 'dazzle' part of the beam is sufficient to pass the test but mustn't be too large as to reduce the beam's ability to light the road ahead. His understanding is that beam benders would probably not work sufficiently well as they are not precise enough to bend accurately. Therefore he would accept durable, correctly placed blocking material to comply with the rules (which are the same for VCA compliance and MOT).
I have an imported LHD Ford Transit and it has recently passed the VCA compliance test on this basis. As I drive mainly on the Continent it seemed a bit of a pointless exercise to change the headlamps completely.
I find this interesting as what you are saying countermands this:-
"The invoice must clearly describe the changes made to the vehicle; we need to know what has been changed and how this change meets UK compliance. A statement such as “changed headlights” is not sufficient evidence that, for
example, the original vehicle headlights have been removed and new, full UK specification left-dipping headlights have been fitted to the vehicle.
Where an item is fitted, as standard, suitable for the United Kingdom the garage evidence must make clear that the item is standard and how it is standard (e.g. the vehicle has rear-fog lights fitted as standard on both the rear left and right of the vehicle).
Please note that we do not accept an MOT certificate"

It would be very useful if you could give an example of the wording used on your declaration that resulted in a VCA being issued, so that those that come in the future know what is possible, and how to do it.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2015, 17:51

mgdavid.....that was exactly the problem I faced. The MOT testing station was interpreting the rules one way and the VCA another. Unfortunately I cannot give you a correct answer which will satisfy both agencies. All I can say is that what I (from the MOT testing station) submitted to the VCA seemed to satisfy them, but it was specific to my vehicle and may not be the correct answer to all imports.
Perhaps I should qualify my original statement........"which are the same for VCA compliance and MOT". VCA compliance requires certain actions to be carried out, which are not part of the MOT test. The testing station is really only a government appointed agent carrying out the inspection, so the UK MOT test isn't really relevant in this instance. I stand by my comments concerning MOT requirements, but probably not relevant in this instance.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2015, 18:07

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulbot View Post
mgdavid.....that was exactly the problem I faced. The MOT testing station was interpreting the rules one way and the VCA another. Unfortunately I cannot give you a correct answer which will satisfy both agencies. All I can say is that what I (from the MOT testing station) submitted to the VCA seemed to satisfy them, but it was specific to my vehicle and may not be the correct answer to all imports.
Perhaps I should qualify my original statement........"which are the same for VCA compliance and MOT". VCA compliance requires certain actions to be carried out, which are not part of the MOT test. The testing station is really only a government appointed agent carrying out the inspection, so the UK MOT test isn't really relevant in this instance. I stand by my comments concerning MOT requirements, but probably not relevant in this instance.
And I'm agreeing with you that the MOT can (and often is) interpreted a bit more liberally or easier. I'm just saying that it would help others if you could give as an example "what I (from the MOT testing station) submitted to the VCA seemed to satisfy them," - it seems unhelpful not to.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 28-03-2015, 14:33

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hi, I recently imported privately a 9 year old Fiat Ducato. I needed a letter of conformity. You are correct about the headlights, speedo and high vis rear lightI. Ialso had to have an MOT as soon as it arrived in the country, based on chassis number. To export from Germany, I needed export registration plates, valid for 12 days as I recall. I also had to buy German insurance. I think this was valid for a month. I also had to have the van registered in my name whilst in Germany and I subsequently had to produce this document for DVLA. The bureaucracy was difficult but I had an extremely helpful private German vendor. It would have been very difficult but for his assistance. But I am very happy with the result, an English registered LHD van I mostly use on the continent.
Hesterthecat
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:19

Send a message via AIM to merctoby Send a message via MSN to merctoby Send a message via Yahoo to merctoby
insurance facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
pretty much covers it, I think you'll need to have insured it using the VIN number to move it from the port of entry to home, plus the UK mods and the MOT, only a very few insurance cos will do this - I used Safeguard.
you simply ask your seller to insure the vehicle for you there ,he will take you to get the plates made their and then , register the vehicle to you with your address. pay up , drive off .simples .plus the Germans caught me this time with new law. TAX, called customs , pratts. EU law. 43euros .just done it ,all the paper relevant for the van that will come with van, like the German log book has complete details of the C0CM you need .but the DVLA have become obstinate .makes it harder . now you have to fill details they will neither say its right or wrong just kick back when wrong .you have to tell and join HMRC customs and taxes to get nod before DVLA will give you uk log book . good luck .

but you save£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££.great .second hand, no tax to pay at all.

all the best ,denton.
jo662 and jo662 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page