Importing new from Belgium - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 13:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Meant to explain - using a FX broker and doing the payment online via them, benefits you two ways. First you get a much better conversion rate than the high street banks will give (saves a couple of hundred quid typically), and second, the actual transfer costs 3 Euros whereas normal banks charge between £10 and £30 for the same thing.
Hawcara and Hawcara like this.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2015, 15:19

be careful what broker you use as not all are FSA and hold your money in a separate account. also there are lots of fake sites around so make sure your contacting the proper one. confirm by matching the phone numbers..call as well
Hawcara and Hawcara like this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:27

My Motorhome: I drive...
Could you pay in several visa transactions?

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhirlwind View Post
Could you pay in several visa transactions?
Visa Credit - probably not as very few people have anything above £20k limit.
Visa Debit - maybe, at a high(er) cost;

but why would you?

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 00:18

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G
Personal Aire
Question out of interest if I may?

I imported my wife's French registered car a couple of years ago, which was no problem at all, and I drove it myself to our home here in the UK - all on French plates.

You say that, in your case, you were introduced to your driver and then proceded to Calais, on Belgian trade plates. I take it that the Belgian driver then left you in Calais and took his trade plates back with him?

If so, how did you get on driving the van from Dover all the way home, without number plates of any kind? Or, if you kept the trade plates, why did you have a Belgian driver?

Just interested............
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
One word - insurance.
UK insurance co's will only insure an MH on the VIN number for driving within the UK. So a UK resident cannot obtain insurance valid in mainland Europe for a new unregistred MH.
Therefore the dealer provides his countries' trade plates and a driver for the sector to the port, and the purchaser insures it on the VIN for the UK bit.
Belgian trade plates are quite possibly not valid in the UK even if the Belgian driver came across with it. In my case we left the plates on the vehicle and returned them a few weeks later, next time we were over there, but that was just convenience, with the side benefit that an unregistered vehicle with no number plates can attract unwarranted attention.

I also believe that Trade plates are only valid when used by an employee of the organisation they are issued to.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:37

My Motorhome: Neismann+Bischoff 2015 Flair 920LF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
One word - insurance.
UK insurance co's will only insure an MH on the VIN number for driving within the UK. So a UK resident cannot obtain insurance valid in mainland Europe for a new unregistred MH.
Therefore the dealer provides his countries' trade plates and a driver for the sector to the port, and the purchaser insures it on the VIN for the UK bit.
Belgian trade plates are quite possibly not valid in the UK even if the Belgian driver came across with it. In my case we left the plates on the vehicle and returned them a few weeks later, next time we were over there, but that was just convenience, with the side benefit that an unregistered vehicle with no number plates can attract unwarranted attention.

I also believe that Trade plates are only valid when used by an employee of the organisation they are issued to.
Not quite the fact on insurance, I have got my Flair insured on the VIN from the day I collect it in Germany, Monday 6th tomorrow!! I know many insurers will not but the NFU at Louth will and have for me. They have a time limit that they are prepared to maintain it on the VIN, 2 weeks in my case, but that is extendable as I will want to keep it insured whilst the DVLA does its stuff and I can advise them of a reg number.

Michael
Falmouth UK
2015 Flair 920LF, with the option book thrown at her!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:53

My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Send a message via AIM to MEES
When we imported ours from Germany we paid the Herman road tax the van was then fitted with German plates and covered by ins from the German dealer for two weeks.
On our return we got uk tax and insurance provided evidence to the dealer and the German tax was repaid in to our bank account.
The dealer was PALMOWSKI in Beilefeld

Enjoying our motorhome travels in UK and Europe looking forward to our new van a Globemaster campscout
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
Not quite the fact on insurance, I have got my Flair insured on the VIN from the day I collect it in Germany, Monday 6th tomorrow!! I know many insurers will not but the NFU at Louth will and have for me. They have a time limit that they are prepared to maintain it on the VIN, 2 weeks in my case, but that is extendable as I will want to keep it insured whilst the DVLA does its stuff and I can advise them of a reg number.
A good result for you
I only relate my own experience; I'm with Safeguard and that's what they told me. When I first looked at insurance quotes and explained it was a private import NFU didn't really want to know. But I do know from other threads on here that insurance co's seem to change their minds as often as the wind blows !!
The answers you get also seems to depend on the pot luck of which agent answers the phone....
sallylillian and sallylillian like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page