UK insurance on a VIN number - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-03-2013, 14:47 Thread Starter

UK insurance on a VIN number

Has anybody found any UK insurance companies that will insure a new motorhome on a VIN number to allow you to drive it home from Germany to get it reregistered in the UK.
I know you can get german tourist plates which includes third party insurance.
Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-03-2013, 14:55

My Motorhome: Ford/Wellhouse Terrier Sport
Saga insured my van on a vin number pending reg coming through.
It was for about one week.
Not sure if foreign travel would be an issue
Cheers

Cheers
Jamsie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-03-2013, 15:16

insuring on vin plate

Good afternoon.
I did contact Safeguard, or was it Sureguard ? about this as I was thinking of registering my van in UK.
They gave a very good price but would only cover from the time the van landed in UK.
So yes you can insure on a VIN No. but only once in UK.I think it then gave a month to register in UK.
The German trade plates are probably the way to go.
Barrie.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-03-2013, 16:49

Personal Aire
If it is a dealer you are buying from in Germany, get him to furnish some Z-plates for you, and insure it in Germany for the run to the ferry. As you arrive in the UK, phone AA Insurance and arrange insurance on the VIN, pending registration in the UK. Then, if second-hand, get it MOTd and registered. If new, then apply for registration with the VIN. Insurer should then be informed of new Reg so that they can reissue insurance docs.

Done it that way once with a car.

Colin

PS - you then send the Z-plates back to the authorities in Germany and the insurance there is cancelled.

No longer motorhoming due to illness, but always prepared to help by sharing any experience I may have.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-03-2013, 20:01 Thread Starter

Hi, Did it 5 years ago. Got tourist plates in Germany, but only 3rd party insurance. Dealer lent us his trade plates to get us to the ferry and covered us on his insurance. When we got off the ferry we phoned our insurance and they covered us on the vin number. I have tried phoning comfort and motorhome facts, both say they used to do this but do not do it anymore. They will not cover you until you have a British registration number. Phoned Safeguard and they say they will cover me from the ferry home on the vin number but they want me to have a tracker fitted on it before they will insure the vehicle.
Does anyone know of any other companies they have used that will cover you.
Will try the AA tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help.
Derek
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 19:53

Insurance

Hi there. I did this in November, and hired German trade plates for 5 days. This gave me 3rd party over there. I couldn't find anyone to cover me except Safeguard. I had to phone them when through the tunnel to start cover. Had to have tracker and cat 1 alarm within 7 days of arriving in the UK.
There have been previous posts, including an import guide by "Addie" which I found really helpful. He does mention a company, i think Dutch, who provided fully comp type cover whilst in Europe, but I rang them and the lady said it would be very expensive, talking over £1000 just for the journey. Basically she talked me out of it.
I just drove very carefully in Europe and gave a big sigh of relief when I arrived in the UK.
I am still with Safeguard, but may have to change when we go full timing in June.
Trade plates cost me 150 Euros for 5 days, and I got insurance cert with them, all provided by dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page